Mark Roman | May 1, 2014 | Bicycle Accidents
Since 1956, the month of May has been National Bike Month. It’s a time to showcase the benefits of bicycling and encourage more people to give it a try. Many people use bicycling as their primary mode of transportation and regularly bike to work or school. Bicycling frequently is a great form of exercise and is also good for the environment.
According to The League of American Bicyclists, bicycle commuting rates in bicycle-friendly communities increased up to 80 percent from 2000 to 2011. In all communities throughout the United States, bicycling trips more than doubled – from 1.7 billion in 2001 to 4 billion in 2009.
If you plan on getting out and biking this month, be sure to implement the following safety tips to maximize your chances of a smooth ride:
- The distance between a bicyclist and a motorist should be at least 3 feet.
- Riders under the age of 16 must wear a bicycle helmet.
- If traveling at a speed slower than traffic, ride as close as possible to the right ledge of the roadway.
- Always use bike lanes when they are available.
- When riding on a sidewalk, watch out for pedestrians and always yield the right of way to them.
- In Florida, bicycles are considered vehicles too, so the same drinking and driving laws apply.
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers encourages you to get out and bike during National Bike Month! Remember to stay safe by following the rules of the road and staying alert at all times.
Contact the Clearwater Bicycle Accident Law Firm of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for Help Today
For more information, please contact the legal team of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for a free initial consultation with a bicycle accident lawyer in Clearwater. We have four convenient locations in Florida: Clearwater, New Port Richey, and Tampa.
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – Clearwater Office
1811 N. Belcher Road, Suite I-1
Clearwater, FL 33765
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – Congress Ave Office
2360 Congress Avenue
Clearwater, FL 33763
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – Tampa Office
6601 Memorial Hwy Suite 202
Tampa, FL 33615
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – New Port Richey Office
2515 Seven Springs Blvd.
New Port Richey, FL, 34655