Mark Roman | May 1, 2014 | Bicycle Accidents, Newsletter Article
Since 1956, the month of May has been National Bike Month. It’s a time to showcase the benefits of bicycling and encourage more people to give it a try. Many people use bicycling as their primary mode of transportation and regularly bike to work or school. Bicycling frequently is a great form of exercise and is also good for the environment.
According to The League of American Bicyclists, bicycle commuting rates in bicycle-friendly communities increased up to 80 percent from 2000 to 2011. In all communities throughout the United States, bicycling trips more than doubled – from 1.7 billion in 2001 to 4 billion in 2009.
If you plan on getting out and biking this month, be sure to implement the following safety tips to maximize your chances of a smooth ride:
- The distance between a bicyclist and a motorist should be at least 3 feet.
- Riders under the age of 16 must wear a bicycle helmet.
- If traveling at a speed slower than traffic, ride as close as possible to the right ledge of the roadway.
- Always use bike lanes when they are available.
- When riding on a sidewalk, watch out for pedestrians and always yield the right of way to them.
- In Florida, bicycles are considered vehicles too, so the same drinking and driving laws apply.
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers encourages you to get out and bike during National Bike Month! Remember to stay safe by following the rules of the road and staying alert at all times.
Contact the Bicycle Accident Law Firm Of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers To Get The Help You Deserve
If you need help with your injury case or you want to learn more information, please call the Bicycle Accident law firm of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers at (727) 787-2500 or visit the nearest location to schedule a free case evaluation today.
We serve Pinellas County, Pasco County, Hillsborough County, and its surrounding areas:
If you would prefer to email us, please visit our contact page.