Mark Roman | June 12, 2017 | Car Accidents
Most people are aware that when they are injured in a car accident that they didn’t cause, they can seek compensation from the insurance company of the driver who hit them. But what happens if the driver who caused your accident doesn’t have enough insurance to cover all of your damages? Worse, what if they don’t have any auto insurance at all? This can cause an already stressful situation into one that is even more confusing. In times like this, it is important to rely upon the expertise of an experienced car accident lawyer who can help you pursue the compensation you are due from the appropriate party.
UM/UIM Claims in Florida
If you are involved in an accident with an underinsured or uninsured driver in Florida, you are not without options for pursuing compensation if you have purchased UM/UIM coverage as part of your own auto insurance policy. Because it is estimated that nearly one in four drivers in Florida do not have the required auto insurance, this coverage should be considered mandatory. If you have this coverage and are in an accident, you can file a claim for compensation through your own insurance company for bodily injury and property damage up to the limits of your coverage.
What to Do After a Car Accident with an Underinsured Driver
- Call 911 to get police and medical responders to the scene of the accident.
- Exchange insurance information with the other driver. If they don’t have insurance, take their name, contact information, and information on their vehicle.
- Take down the names and contact information of any witnesses.
- Seek medical care as soon as possible, even if you don’t immediately feel injured. It is important to document your injury through a medical record.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident.
- Contact an experienced car accident attorney who can help you fight for maximum compensation for your medical bills, vehicle damage, and other losses.
Experienced Car Accident Attorneys Serving Clearwater & New Port Richey, FL
Auto insurance, and negotiating with auto insurance companies after a serious accident, can be a frustrating experience if you are not familiar with your policy, how it works, and Florida injury law. If you or a loved one has been injured in New Port Richey or Clearwater, Florida, please do not hesitate to contact Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers. We would be happy to review your case for free and help you understand which options are available to you in pursuing compensation.
Contact the Car Accident Law Firm Of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers To Get The Help You Deserve
If you need help with your injury case or you want to learn more information, please call the Car Accident law firm of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers at (727) 787-2500 or visit the nearest location to schedule a free case evaluation today.
We serve Pinellas County, Pasco County, Hillsborough County, and its surrounding areas:
If you would prefer to email us, please visit our contact page.