Are you struggling with a catastrophic injury after an accident in Tampa, Florida? Catastrophic injuries can change a person’s life forever. An experienced Tampa catastrophic injury lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
With over 75 years of combined experience to back us up, you can trust our board-certified trial lawyers to fight for the maximum compensation possible. We’ve recovered over $100 million in compensation for our clients to date. Our practice areas include bad faith insurance claims, Tampa wrongful death cases, Tampa premises liability, boating accidents, child injuries, and more.
How Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Catastrophic Injury in Tampa
A catastrophic injury can change your family’s life in the blink of an eye. Once the initial shock has passed, your mind will probably move to the practical implications of the injury. How will you pay for your treatment? How can you cover your daily living expenses if you can’t work? Your lawyer can fight to protect your financial interests.
When you hire Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our personal injury attorneys in Tampa will:
- Investigate to locate all responsible parties
- Hire leading experts and specialists to assess the value of your personal injury claim
- Stand up to big insurance companies when they try to diminish the value of your case
- Negotiate with insurance companies and defense lawyers to maximize your settlement
- Fight for you in court if the insurer refuses to negotiate in good faith
Our Tampa personal injury attorneys are Board Certified in Civil Law, a distinction shared by only 2% of Florida personal injury lawyers. With our legal team by your side, you can be sure the insurance company will take your case seriously.
We know what it takes to win cases like yours. All you have to do is call our law offices in Tampa, Florida, to get started.
How Common Are Catastrophic Injuries?
The CDC estimates that about 24.5 million Americans visit the emergency room for unintentional injuries each year.
Thousands of those injuries are catastrophic. Between 249,000 and 363,000 Americans are currently living with a permanent spinal cord injury. Somewhere between 80,000 and 90,000 people in the U.S. suffer a permanent brain injury every year.
Overview of Catastrophic Injuries
Suffering a catastrophic injury is a life-changing event. In legal terms, a catastrophic injury is one that causes such serious damage that the victim is never able to perform any type of gainful work.
Catastrophic injuries can cause both physical and mental harm. These injuries typically require life-long treatment. While the injury might not be fatal, victims of catastrophic injuries almost always suffer serious and permanent disability.
It’s common to feel overwhelmed if you’ve suffered a catastrophic injury or are caring for someone who’s been seriously hurt. Our lawyers can help. We’re here to fight for your legal rights to the money you need for treatment and daily living expenses.
Types of Catastrophic Injury
Any type of injury can be classified as catastrophic. That classification depends upon how extensive the injuries are.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle catastrophic injury cases involving:
- Traumatic brain damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Severe burn injuries
- Loss of a limb
- Hearing loss
- Internal organ damage
People who suffer catastrophic injuries will require extensive medical treatment. You could require surgeries, physical therapy, and even psychiatric care. Your treatment could be extremely expensive. Still, getting quality medical care quickly is critical to maintaining any quality of life.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Catastrophic Injuries?
The signs and symptoms of a catastrophic injury will vary depending upon which area of the body was injured. Some are obvious. Others can be much more subtle. That’s why it’s always important to seek medical attention immediately after an accident.
Some of the less obvious signs that you may have suffered a catastrophic injury include:
- Loss of motor function in an area of the body
- Difficulty speaking
- Loss of consciousness
- Nausea, vomiting, or dizziness
- Loss of sensation
- Confusion or memory loss
- Unexplained personality or behavioral changes
If you’re noticing any signs of an injury after an accident, seek emergency medical attention. In some cases, swift medical intervention can prevent a serious injury from becoming catastrophic or even fatal.
What are the Long-Term Consequences of Catastrophic Injuries?
The long-term consequences of catastrophic injuries can be far-reaching.
Catastrophic injuries can cause:
- Permanent loss of a bodily function
- Life-long care and/or medical assistance
- Permanent use of a wheelchair, prosthetic limb, or other medical devices
- Life-long medication dependency
- Permanent loss of your ability to earn a living
- Severe depression
- Infections and secondary medical conditions that develop over time
Some victims of catastrophic injuries require around-the-clock care for the rest of their lives. Others can eventually result in wrongful death.
Did you suffer a catastrophic injury because someone else was negligent? Are you interested in learning about your legal options? Contact our law firm today to schedule a free case review.
What Causes Catastrophic Injuries?
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we focus our legal practice exclusively on personal injury. We’re well-equipped to handle your catastrophic injury case, regardless of how your injury happened.
Our team regularly handles injury claims involving:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Construction accidents
- Commercial vehicle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Bus accidents
- Uber or Lyft accidents
- Boating accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Dog bites
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Assault and violence
To prove who was responsible for your injuries, you need to have all the facts. It can be difficult to launch a full-scale investigation from a hospital bed. Our catastrophic injury attorneys in Tampa can handle the details.
What is My Tampa Catastrophic Injury Case Worth?
Putting a fair value on a life-changing injury can be complicated, to say the least. The first step will be working with medical experts, life planning specialists, and even actuaries to determine the financial costs of your injury–both now and into the future.
It’s critical to recover the full economic damages you deserve, such as medical expenses and lost income. But you’re entitled to much more for a catastrophic injury.
The overall value of your case will also include non-economic damages, which are calculated by examining a number of different factors, including:
- How the injury will change your daily life
- The potential for future medical complications
- The emotional and psychological trauma of the accident and injuries
- How the injuries will impact your family
- The impact of the injury on your career
The victim isn’t the only one impacted by a catastrophic injury. Family members who function as caregivers might also experience significant changes. A spouse or child may have to quit their job to offer care–or figure out how to finance ongoing care.
Online calculators usually fail to consider all relevant factors in evaluating what your personal injury case is worth. If you or a loved one were injured, speaking with an experienced lawyer can be key to getting the full compensation you deserve.
What Compensation Can I Recover for My Catastrophic Injury in Tampa, Florida?
The purely economic cost of treating a catastrophic injury over a lifetime can be staggering.
Victims are entitled to economic damages for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and diminished future earning capacity
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Long-term care
- Medical devices
- Nursing care
- Other types of specialized care
The injury will also likely take a significant toll on your emotional well-being. These costs are no less important.
Victims are also entitled to compensation for non-economic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Permanent disfigurement and scarring
- Depression and PTSD
- Loss of independence
- Loss of consortium
The costs associated with your care can be difficult to grasp. Every dollar counts when it comes to securing the high-quality medical treatment you deserve. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our attorneys will work hard to secure a full financial recovery for your family.
How Long Do I Have to File a Catastrophic Injury Lawsuit in Florida?
If you file a lawsuit for damages, you have to do so within the applicable timeframe. The Florida deadline varies depending upon the type of lawsuit you’re filing.
Most accident victims have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit under the Florida statute of limitations. This deadline applies regardless of whether your injuries are catastrophic or permanent. Note that the law used to give you four years from the date of the accident to file a civil lawsuit. However, it was updated on March 24, 2023. You must adhere to the two-year deadline if your catastrophic injury in Tampa occurred after 3/24/23.
The statute of limitations in Florida medical malpractice cases is two years from the date you discover the injury.
Contact Our Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in Tampa for a Free Consultation
If you were hurt or lost a loved one due to a catastrophic injury, you can turn to Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for help. An experienced Tampa catastrophic injury lawyer will evaluate your case for free. To learn more about how we’ll fight to protect your legal rights, call for a free consultation today.
Hospitals Near Our Law Office in Tampa
- Tampa Community Hospital – 6001 Webb Rd, Tampa, FL 33615
- HCA West Florida – 3031 N Rocky Point Dr W Suite 400, Tampa, FL 33607
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Our personal injury law firm in Tampa also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Aviation/Airplane Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Birth Injury Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Bus Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Maritime Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Negligent Security Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorney in Tampa, FL