Were you recently sexually assaulted in Tampa, Florida? Contact Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers to discover how our Tampa sexual assault lawyers can help you fight to make things right. You may be entitled to compensation, and we’re ready to help you demand the financial justice you deserve.
Benefit from a team with 50+ years of experience that’s won over $100 million in life-changing monetary awards for clients like you. We handle all types of personal injury claims, including Tampa birth injuries, medical malpractice, Tampa pedestrian accidents, child injuries, assault injuries, and more.
Don’t let your abuser and other responsible parties off the hook. Contact our law office in Tampa, FL, at (813) 686-7588 to find out why you’ll want our legal team on your side for this fight. We offer a free consultation and are available to take your call anytime, day or night. Reach out to speak with a member of our staff today.
How Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help If You’ve Been Sexually Assaulted in Tampa, FL
Sexual assault can touch every corner of your life. Victims can suffer devastating physical injuries, life-changing emotional trauma, and incur sky-high medical and therapy bills. The person who sexually assaults you might face criminal charges, but that won’t make you whole.
Fortunately, you have the right to file a sexual assault injury lawsuit to hold them personally responsible for the harm they’ve caused. Our experienced Tampa lawyers will be there to help you every step of the way.
When you choose our law firm, you’ll benefit from the expertise of a Board Certified civil trial attorney and attorneys who have dedicated their careers to getting justice for victims like you. We’re known and respected Florida trial attorneys, and our reputation can help to ensure that your case is taken seriously.
You deserve time to focus on healing from your trauma and moving forward with your life. You can do that while our team handles every aspect of your sexual assault injury case.
- Investigate the allegations of sexual assault
- Gather photographs, medical records, police reports, physical evidence, and other information that can be used to prove your case
- Subpoena and depose witnesses or parties with relevant information
- Consult with sexual assault experts, medical professionals, and other specialists who can provide insight into your case
- Prepare, file, and serve necessary forms and documents
- Handle negotiations with defense counsel, insurance companies, and other parties on your behalf
- Navigate any complexities that might arise due to related criminal sexual assault charges
- Prepare to bring your civil sexual assault case to a jury in Hillsborough County if you aren’t offered a reasonable settlement
Our sexual assault attorneys in Tampa work on contingency, which means there’s no out-of-pocket cost to hire our law firm. You only pay if we win your case – and our fee comes right out of your financial recovery.
There’s no risk in asking for our help. Get in touch to arrange a time for a free, no-obligation case assessment today.
How Common is Sexual Assault in Tampa?
According to city crime statistics, 107 sexual offenses were reported in Tampa in 2021. That’s roughly one sex crime once every three days.
What Do I Have To Prove To Win a Civil Sexual Assault Injury Lawsuit?
Sexual assault can involve any unwanted sexual touching, conduct, or advances that cause bodily harm or suffering.
There’s no specific tort for sexual assault in the State of Florida.
Instead, sexual assault cases are generally filed on the grounds of:
- Intentional torts like assault, battery, and intentional infliction of emotional distress
- Negligent infliction of emotional distress
- Premises liability
- Negligent hiring, or
- Negligent security.
The elements of your case will depend on who you’re naming as a defendant and the grounds for your claim.
Who Could Be Liable if I’ve Been Sexually Assaulted in Tampa?
While the person who molested, raped, or engaged in other sexually-explicit conduct can be held accountable for acts of sexual assault, they’re not the only one who could be liable.
Under Florida law, anyone who directly or indirectly contributes to a sexual assault or battery can be held accountable.
Potentially liable parties include:
- Property owners
- Clergy, churches, and religious institutions
- Coaches and organized athletic organizations
- Youth organizations, like the Boy Scouts of America or YMCA
- Schools and daycare centers
- Teachers and aides
Often, the best way to ensure that you are able to recover compensation after a sexual assault is by identifying who, other than your attacker, may be responsible. Your attacker might not have the ability to pay your damages – even if you win your case. Other parties, including corporations, organizations, and employers, on the other hand, probably will.
What Damages Are Available to Victims of Sexual Assault?
As the victim of sexual assault in Tampa, Florida, you can generally seek two categories of damages: compensatory and punitive.
Compensatory damages are further classified as economic and non-economic.
Economic damages are awarded to account for the financial costs and expenses of sexual assault, including:
- Medical bills and related medical expenses
- Nursing assistance
- Lost wages and income
- Lost benefits
- Reduced earning capacity
Non-economic damages are paid to compensate for the devastating and difficult-to-value trauma that sexual assault victims experience.
Common examples include:
- Pain and suffering
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Disfigurement and scarring
Punitive damages are awarded for the sole purpose of punishing the abuser or other responsible party for their actions. You can potentially recover punitive damages when there’s clear and convincing evidence that the defendant’s conduct was intentional or displayed a conscious disregard for your safety.
What’s My Tampa Sexual Assault Injury Case Worth?
Money won’t turn back time and take away the fact that you’ve been sexually assaulted. And there’s a good chance that many of the consequences of the sexual assault aren’t financial. However, that doesn’t mean you don’t have a case, and it doesn’t mean that your case could be worth a lot.
Many factors will influence how much money you might be able to get if you’re sexually assaulted in Tampa:
- The types of physical injuries you sustain
- Whether those injuries will cause physical disfigurement or permanent impairment
- The impact the trauma of the abuse has had on you, psychologically and emotionally
- Your age and overall physical health
- How the assault has affected your ability to live your life
- How the assault has affected your relationships with loved ones
You can learn more about how much your specific sexual assault injury case might be worth by speaking with a member of our respected legal team. Contact Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers to arrange a time for a no-obligation case evaluation today. We’re here to take your call 24 hours a day.
How Long Do I Have To File a Sexual Assault Injury Claim in Florida?
Under Florida law, you will have four years to file a civil sexual assault injury claim (based on an intentional tort) and seek compensation for your trauma. The fourth anniversary of the assault will serve as the deadline.
However, if you’re filing a lawsuit based on negligent security or negligence in general, you will typically have two years. Florida negligence cases used to have a four-year deadline, but the law was revised on March 24, 2023. Therefore, if your negligence cause of action arose after that date, you must follow the two-year deadline.
Do not hesitate to assert your rights and take legal action. Once the statute of limitations expires, so does your right to hold your attacker and other parties accountable.
Keep in mind that a related criminal sexual battery case could affect the timeline of your civil sexual assault case. The state may agree to toll, or pause, your claim so that the defendant can focus entirely on the criminal charges at hand. Once the criminal sexual assault case is resolved, your lawsuit will pick back up.
Your case can continue regardless of the outcome of the criminal matter. While a conviction could certainly help to support your allegations, it’s not necessary. You can still win your civil sexual assault injury case even if the defendant is not convicted of a crime. The burden of proof in civil cases is much lower than in criminal matters, which makes it easier for victims to prevail.
Arrange a Free Case Evaluation With a Trusted Tampa Sexual Assault Lawyer
You have rights if you’ve been sexually assaulted in Tampa, Florida. Your attacker and other parties who contributed to the assault can be held financially responsible for your physical injuries, financial losses, and emotional distress.
The experienced Tampa sexual assault lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers are ready to help you pursue the compensation you need and deserve.
Put decades of experience and a track record of success on the case. Our Tampa law firm is available to help you today. Contact our law office to arrange your free consultation to begin your path to a substantial monetary recovery.
Our personal injury law firm in Tampa also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Aviation/Airplane Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Birth Injury Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Bus Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Maritime Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Negligent Security Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorney in Tampa, FL