Dunedin Personal Injury Lawyer
Navigating the aftermath of a personal injury in Dunedin, Florida, is no small feat. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we understand this. Since our doors opened way back in 1996, we’ve been all about offering a helping hand and a listening ear to folks who’ve been knocked down by life’s unexpected turns. Whether it’s a car accident in Dunedin, a workplace injury, or something else entirely, our Dunedin personal injury attorneys are here to help you pick up the pieces.
Our team has pulled off some pretty amazing feats, like recovering over $100 million for our clients. We’ve continued to help the residents of Dunedin, FL find their footing after accidents. When it comes to legal expertise, you’re in good hands 24/7. Our Dunedin personal injury lawyers are ready to meet you wherever you are, making sure you’re comfortable and confident every step of the way. Contact us today.
How Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You Win Your Dunedin Personal Injury Claim
Why put your trust in Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers to handle your Dunedin, FL personal injury case? Well, for starters, we’ve got over half a century’s worth of combined legal experience. We have a lot of wisdom and know-how under one roof. We’re not just about the courtroom showdowns, though. We’re here to make sure you’re looked after, from those tough talks with insurance companies to working on a contingency fee basis.
It’s not just about the wins or the numbers, although winning is absolutely critical. It’s also about standing by you, understanding what you’re going through, and fighting for what’s fair. With Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, it’s more than just a case; it’s about getting you back to living your best life, and we’re with you every step of that journey.
Our Dunedin personal injury lawyers can help you in the following ways and many, many more:
- Drafting and sending a demand package to the insurance company
- Negotiating with the defendant or the insurance company to secure a generous settlement
- Pulling data from a commercial truck’s event data recorder to prove the driver’s liability for the accident (in a truck accident)
- Identifying the bar or nightclub that sold the defendant alcohol prior to the accident, and adding them as a defendant (in a DUI accident claim)
- Examining the text of your insurance policies to determine the scope of coverage and making sure the insurance company is not misleading you
- Filing a lawsuit if necessary, to gain access to the pretrial evidence discovery process (filing a lawsuit doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll go to court)
- Representing you in court if necessary
Our Dunedin personal injury attorneys are prepared to guide you throughout the personal injury claims process.
Types of Dunedin, Florida Personal Injury Cases We Handle
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle the following types of personal injury claims and many, many more:
- Car accidents are the most common type of personal injury claim. Negligence (carelessness) is the most common basis of car accident liability.
- Truck accidents are less common than car accidents, but they are typically far more devastating. Most commercial truckers, however, are well-insured.
- Boating accidents happen more often than you might imagine. Most are caused by driver inexperience and alcohol intoxication.
- Slip and fall accidents are perhaps the most common workplace accidents. Outside the workplace, the elderly are the most common victims of slip and fall accidents.
- Motorcycle accidents kill more people per capita than any other type of motor vehicle accident. Failure to wear a helmet is a typical contributing factor.
- Bicycle accidents happen frequently because bicyclists, unlike pedestrians, must travel on the road most of the time.
- Pedestrian accidents typically occur at crosswalks. They are most likely to happen downtown and on college campuses.
- Workplace accidents are typically covered by workers’ compensation. In some cases, however, a third party is responsible.
- Medical malpractice claims tend to be scientifically complex.
- Product liability claims do not necessarily require you to prove that the defendant was at fault to win.
- Dog bites and animal attacks can result in liability for the owner even if they were not at fault.
- Construction accidents are the most common type of workplace accident.
- Nursing home abuse and neglect occurs more frequently than most of us would like to imagine, and it is often difficult to detect.
- Aviation accidents are relatively infrequent, but they almost always result in fatalities.
- Train accidents can easily cause mass casualties.
- Birth injuries can result in lifelong medical complications.
- Burn injuries can be excruciatingly painful and cause serious disfigurement.
- Brain injuries can result in a variety of problems including cognitive impairment.
- Spinal cord injuries can result in paralysis and a host of other problems.
- Amusement park accidents can result in serious injuries. Amusement parks, however, are typically very well-insured.
- Sports-related injuries are often, but not always, vulnerable to the “assumption of risk” defense.
- Exposure to toxic substances can sicken hundreds or even thousands of people, or it can generate a single personal injury or wrongful death claim.
- Food poisoning claims are a special form of product liability claim.
- Wrongful death claims arise when victims of personal injury die from their injuries.
If you were injured but don’t see your type of claim listed above, contact us online or by phone.
Compensation for a Dunedin Personal Injury Claim
The personal injury law of every state allows victims to recover economic damages and non-economic damages. The personal injury law of almost every state allows victims to recover punitive damages. Florida allows you to recover all three under the right circumstances.
Remember this much–if your loss is easy to count in dollars and cents, then you can probably classify it as economic damages. The most common forms of economic damages are medical expenses, lost earnings, and out-of-pocket expenses. Estimated future medical expenses and lost future earning capacity are also common claims.
Florida statutory law allows you to claim non-economic damages for “pain and suffering, inconvenience, physical impairment, mental anguish, disfigurement, loss of capacity for enjoyment of life, and other non financial losses” The term “non financial losses” is a catch-all term that can cover many different types of intangible losses.
A Florida court can award punitive damages if and only if the victim proves by “clear and convincing evidence” that the defendant acted intentionally or with gross negligence. Imagine a barroom beating (intentional) or a car accident during an illegal drag race (gross negligence).
Common Defenses to Personal Injury Claims
The following is a list of common defenses asserted by defendants in personal injury claims:
- Comparative negligence: You were partially at fault for the accident. This is often a partial defense, not a complete defense. It is a complete defense if the defendant can show that the accident was mostly your fault.
- Assumption of risk: You knew the risk and proceeded with the activity anyway. You can sue a bar bouncer for an unjust beating, but if you sign up for a boxing match you cannot sue the other fighter for knocking you out.
- Failure to meet the statute of limitations deadline: If you miss the statute of limitations deadline, you may not be able to recover compensation.
- Pre-existing condition: The insurance company might claim that your injuries were caused by a previous accident, not the accident that gave rise to the claim.
- Release of liability waiver: If you voluntarily participate in a dangerous activity, signing a release of liability waiver will sometimes (but not always) prevent you from winning a personal injury lawsuit.
- Self-defense or defense of others is a defense against an assault and battery claim.
- Necessity is a rarely-used defense that claims “If I hadn’t done what I did, something even worse would have happened.”
- Provocation is a defense against a dog bite claim (where the victim provoked the dog).
- Governmental Immunity is a defense used by government employees or by the government itself. In some but not all cases, a government agency can claim immunity for their otherwise wrongful acts.
Other defenses might be available as well, depending on the circumstances of your case.
Contact a Dunedin Personal Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers works on a contingency fee basis for personal injury accident victims. We charge no upfront fees, and we charge nothing ever unless we win your Dunedin, FL personal injury case. Contact us online or call us to schedule a free consultation with our Dunedin personal injury lawyer.