St. Petersburg Personal Injury Lawyer
Have you been involved in an accident in St. Petersburg, Florida? You may have the right to seek compensation for the costs associated with your injury and suffering. The experienced St. Petersburg personal injury lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will help you fight to maximize your financial recovery.
Since 1996, our legal team has been advocating on behalf of accident victims and their families throughout St. Petersburg and surrounding areas. We’ve successfully won more than $100 Million in settlements and verdicts in their favor. When you call us for help, you’ll benefit from Board Certified civil law specialists with 65+ years of collective experience on your side.
Contact us at (727) 877-1212 to schedule your free initial consultation. We are prepared to work hard, building the strongest case possible to win the compensation that you deserve.
How Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You After an Accident in St. Petersburg, Florida
In order to have the best chance of pursuing a successful claim, contact a St. Petersburg personal injury attorney through Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers. Our founding attorneys are both Board Certified in Civil Law by the Florida Bar Association. Together, they boast more than six decades of legal experience.
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers possess the resources and legal qualifications of a large firm. But, we also give our personal attention to each case and maintain genuine relationships with all of our clients. The combination of legal expertise and down-to-earth communication makes our firm an invaluable ally.
When you hire a St. Petersburg personal injury lawyer with Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, you can expect a range of specialized services.
- High-quality legal guidance from compassionate and attentive personal injury lawyers
- A thorough investigation of the circumstances surrounding your accident
- Open and transparent communication while we handle all of the elements of your claim
- A powerful legal case built on evidence and convincing legal argumentation
- Consultations with relevant personal injury experts in Florida, if necessary
- The strength and experience to refuse inadequate settlement offers
- The willingness to guide your case through the litigation process, if negotiations fail
The St. Petersburg personal injury attorneys at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers are fully equipped to handle any type of personal injury case. Our proven track record of securing financial recovery for our clients is one of the reasons why uncooperative insurance companies don’t want you to contact us.
Call our personal injury law firm today to schedule your free consultation.
How Common Are Accidents in St. Petersburg, FL?
As of 2021, more than 267,000 people call St. Petersburg home, making it the fifth-largest city in the state of Florida. A popular destination for tourists and snowbirds alike, thousands more pour into the city’s limits every year. St. Pete and surrounding towns in Pinellas County have busy, congested roads. IN turn, it’s no surprise that traffic accidents are a common occurrence.
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, there were a total of 14,303 traffic accidents across Pinellas County in 2020. That’s 39 crashes a day, despite the fact that the nation effectively came to a grinding halt for most of the year thanks to the Covid pandemic.
Those collisions resulted in 115 deaths and another 8,409 non-fatal injuries.
Of course, auto accidents aren’t the only avoidable accidents and cause of unintentional injury in St. Petersburg. Every year, thousands of people are injured and killed in other types of accidents, too.
Our St. Petersburg Personal Injury Practice Areas
Our Board Certified accident attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL represent clients in cases involving:
- Car accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Broken bones
- Bus accidents
- Catastrophic injuries
- Child head injuries
- Construction site accidents
- Commercial vehicle accidents
- Drowning accidents
- Electric scooter accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Rideshare accidents involving Uber and Lyft
- Premises liability
- Slip and fall accidents
- Workers’ compensation
- Wrongful death
The legal specialists at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers have the knowledge and experience necessary to help families navigate complex personal injury and wrongful death cases. Call us to arrange a free consultation to examine the circumstances of your claim.
What is My Personal Injury Case Worth?
It is practically impossible to estimate the value of your personal injury claim without examining the particular circumstances of the accident. Knowing how much to expect in a personal injury case requires years of legal training.
Because of this, there is no standard or typical amount that you can expect from a verdict or settlement.
In determining the value of your case, the answers to these questions will be critical:
- What are the nature and extent of your injuries?
- What is the total cost of your past and present medical expenses?
- Will your injuries necessitate future medical treatments and care?
- Have you missed work or suffered a decrease in your income?
- Will you be able to return to your previous job after your recovery or will you be forced to find new employment?
- Did you suffer property damage from the accident?
- Does your injury prevent you from performing daily activities, such as driving or bathing?
- Will you permanently require assistive medical equipment or accommodations?
- What are the emotional and psychological impacts of your injury?
- What are the total financial expenses that resulted from the accident?
Generally speaking, more severe injuries are more likely to result in large settlements or verdicts. However, there are exceptions to this rule. The best way to ensure that you recover the maximum amount in your case is to speak with a qualified St. Petersburg personal injury lawyer.
What Damages Are Available After an Accident in St. Petersburg?
The funds awarded to personal injury victims to compensate for the losses from an accident are known as compensatory damages. Under Florida tort law, there are two main categories of compensatory damages: Economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are intended to compensate for losses from an injury that can be easily calculated.
These are often awarded to compensate the victim for:
- Current and future medical bills (such as hospitalization, medication, surgery, and therapies)
- Anticipated medical costs (such as ongoing treatments and assistive devices)
- Lost wages from missed work
- Permanent loss of earning potential
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Nursing or home care
The best way to track economic damages is through the use of bills, receipts, and other financial documents.
Although calculating economic damages is usually straightforward, not all negative impacts from an injury entail specific monetary losses. For instance, how much money would compensate for feeling pain from an injury each time you lie down to sleep? What is the price that makes up for being unable to comfortably play outside with your children?
As you can see, these damages are difficult to calculate. Non-economic damages are intended to compensate for losses that can’t be easily translated into dollar values.
Common reasons for non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and anguish (such as panic attacks, stress, or anxiety)
- PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder)
- Loss of consortium (such as the loss of a relationship from a wrongful death)
- Decreased enjoyment of daily life (such as an inability to engage in recreational activities)
- Disfigurement, disability, or scarring
Determining the value of non-economic damages is a nuanced and complex process. When you hire a St. Petersburg personal injury lawyer with Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we will draw on our extensive experience to accurately determine the value of your case.
What Happens If I’m Blamed for an Accident in St. Petersburg, Florida?
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we know that it’s incredibly stressful to be blamed for someone else’s injuries. However, it is important not to lose hope if you are being accused of causing an accident. The good news is that you may be owed financial compensation even if you are found to be partially responsible for an accident.
Florida follows a pure comparative fault rule. This means that anyone who is partially at-fault for an accident is liable for his or her portion of the damages. In other words, more than one party may be legally liable for the damages from an accident or injuries.
Consider the following example: Suppose that you are found to be 40% responsible for a traffic collision in St. Petersburg. The total damages from the accident are determined to be $200,000. In this case, you would only be able to recover $120,000, or 60% of your damages.
Consult with a St. Petersburg personal injury lawyer as soon as possible to explore all of your legal options. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we will fight hard to minimize your legal liability and secure the maximum compensation possible in your case.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After an Accident in Florida?
Under Florida law, most personal injury cases are subject to a four-year statute of limitations. There are exceptions to this rule, however. Wrongful death cases in Florida must be filed within two years of a victim’s death. Cases involving a government entity are subject to even shorter timeframes.
Additionally, other unique circumstances can affect the amount of time you have to file a personal injury claim. Don’t hesitate to contact Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers immediately after you’re injured in a car accident or another incident in St. Pete. We can begin to pursue compensation on your behalf as soon as you enlist our help.
What’s Negligence? Why it is Important If I File a Personal Injury Case?
The vast majority of injuries are the result of accidents. Because of this, most personal injury cases rely on showing that the at-fault party behaved negligently.
The legal standard of negligence involves proving that the injuries and damages from an accident were the result of the at-fault party’s careless actions.
Specifically, the claimant must show the following:
- Duty of Care: The claimant must show that the at-fault party had a duty to behave responsibly and carefully in the context of the accident. For example, motorists have a duty of care to keep other people safe by driving in a lawful and responsible way.
- Breach of Duty: The claimant must show that the at-fault party breached their duty of care by behaving in a careless or reckless way. For instance, motorists who drive while texting or eating have breached their duty of care through their careless actions.
- Damages: The claimant must show that the at-fault party’s negligent actions caused specific damages or injuries to the claimant. When a reckless driver hits another car, causing a physical injury to the driver, this meets the standard of proving damages.
- Causation: The claimant must prove that the at-fault party’s negligent behavior led to the claimant’s damages in a direct way. In other words, the claimant must show that the at-fault party’s actions are the direct and proximate cause of the damages and injuries from the accident.
The accomplished legal team at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will build a persuasive and powerful legal case for you. We have years of experience in securing financial compensation from negligent parties. If you have been hurt because someone behaved carelessly, it is important to seek the recovery that you are due.
What Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer in St. Petersburg?
In short, there are absolutely no upfront costs for hiring a St. Petersburg personal injury lawyer. The premier team at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers operates under contingency fee agreements. When you hire us, we simply agree on a percentage of the financial recovery from your claim that will be used to cover the costs of our legal services.
We only get paid if we successfully secure compensation for you. It’s that simple. We only make money if you do. Call us today for your no-risk consultation.
Schedule a Free Consultation with a St. Petersburg Personal Injury Lawyer
Have you been hurt in St. Petersburg, Florida, because of someone else’s careless or reckless actions? If so, call a St. Petersburg personal injury attorney as soon as possible. The team at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers is fully equipped to secure the financial recovery that you are rightfully due.
Contact our law office at (727) 877-1212 to schedule your free case evaluation. Don’t carry the financial burdens from your injuries on your own. Let our legal team secure the compensation you need to get your life back on track.