Did you recently get hurt in a taxi accident in Clearwater, Florida? You may have the right to recover substantial damages for your lost wages, medical expenses, and suffering. The experienced Clearwater taxi accident lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers are ready to fight to maximize your award.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we put more than 50 years of experience behind every case we handle. Our award-winning trial attorneys have successfully won over $100 million in damages for Florida injury victims of maritime accidents, Clearwater Uber accidents, mesothelioma and asbestos, Clearwater slip and fall accidents, workplace accidents, and more.
Put yourself in the best spot to win your taxi accident case. Call our law firm in Clearwater, Florida to get our team in your corner. We offer a free case evaluation, so contact us today at (727) 787-2500.
How Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Taxi Accident in Clearwater, FL
Accidents involving taxi cabs and taxi drivers are different from other car accidents. You’re dealing with a commercial entity that’s responsible for transporting passengers safely from one place in Clearwater to another. That means, legally speaking, things tend to get more complicated.
Multiple parties can be involved – from the negligent cab driver to the cab company to insurance companies and other third parties. Hiring our top-rated Clearwater taxi accident attorneys to represent you can make a huge difference as you fight for compensation.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we’re led by a board-certified civil trial lawyer, which means you’ll benefit from the knowledge and experience of a personal injury lawyer.
Choose our law firm, and we’ll take care of every aspect of your case, including:
- Investigating your taxi accident
- Determining cause and liability
- Bringing in experts as we analyze, build, and value your claim
- Seeking damages from anyone who shares responsibility for your injuries
- Defending you against efforts to blame you for getting hurt
- Negotiating with cab companies, insurance carriers, and other parties
- Litigating your case at trial if you aren’t offered a fair settlement offer
The time to begin fighting back after your taxi accident is now. Call our law office in Clearwater, Florida to get started. Your first consultation is free.
What Causes Most Taxi Accidents in Clearwater, Florida?
The taxi industry is fairly regulated in Florida. Cab drivers have to have a special license. Companies are responsible for hiring competent drivers and training them as necessary. But, taxi accidents do happen.
These cab accidents usually happen because someone – the cab driver, another motorist, or even a passenger – is negligent.
Many of the most common causes of taxi accidents include:
- Aggressive driving
- Speeding up to beat a red or yellow light at an intersection
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Improper lane change
- Unsafe turns
- Stopping a vehicle in an unsafe location to drop off or pick up passengers
- Inexperienced drivers
Other causes include vehicle defects or malfunction, inclement weather, and defective road design.
What’s My Taxi Accident Case Worth?
Many different factors will influence what your taxi accident case might be worth.
- Your injuries
- The psychological impact of your accident
- Your ability to work and support yourself financially
- The long-term effects of your injury
- How much, if any, of the responsibility you share for the auto accident
Typically, cases involving more severe injuries are valued higher than others. However, in reality, any injury can have catastrophic consequences and result in high financial costs. Learn more about what your specific taxi accident injury case might be worth. Call our Clearwater personal injury attorneys now.
Who’s Liable For a Taxi Accident in Clearwater?
In Florida, anyone who contributes to a taxi accident can be financially responsible for the consequences.
Liable parties might include:
- Negligent taxi drivers
- Taxicab companies
- Employers of negligent parties
- Vehicle manufacturers
- Other motorists on the road
- Truck drivers
- Government agencies
It’s important to identify everyone who played a part in causing a motor vehicle accident involving a taxi. Seeking damages from all liable parties can help to ensure that you’re awarded full compensation for your injuries and suffering.
What If I Share Blame For a Taxi Accident in Clearwater, Florida?
Don’t panic – you may still be able to recover compensation if you share the blame. You just can’t be more than 50% at fault for the collision. You’ll be able to recover a percentage of your damages if your level of blame is 50% or less.
Florida’s modified comparative fault rule provides that financial awards are reduced in direct proportion to your degree of fault. If you’re 40 percent to blame, your damages will be reduced to reflect that. This means that you could receive $60,000 for a case valued at $100,000. However, if you’re allocated 51% of the blame, you won’t receive anything.
Taxi drivers, cab companies, and other parties will probably try to blame you. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our personal injury attorneys will be ready to stand up and fight back. We’ll work hard to disprove these claims and protect your ability to recover the full value of your case.
If you share some of the blame, we’ll do our best to ensure that you’re assigned an appropriate level of fault. The less fault you’re assigned, the more money you can ultimately get for your taxi injuries.
Do I Have to Prove Negligence to Win a Lawsuit After a Taxi Accident?
Probably, yes. In the simplest of terms, negligence means that you got hurt because someone else wasn’t as careful as they should have been under the circumstances.
Typically, you’ll have to prove:
- Causation; and
Taxicab injury cases are different from other auto accident cases because cabs are “common carriers.” Taxi drivers are paid to transport people from one place to another. Your safety is in the driver’s hands. So, Florida law imposes some extra requirements on taxi drivers and other operators of common carriers.
The traditional duty of care owed by a common carrier is to “exercise the highest degree of care, foresight, prudence and diligence reasonably demanded at any given time by the conditions or circumstances then affecting its passengers and the carrier during the contract of carriage.”
This is a much higher duty than what’s imposed on your ordinary driver. So, while it doesn’t guarantee that you’ll have a lawsuit against a taxi driver if you get hurt, even the slightest mistake or error can help you win your personal injury case.
What Compensation Can I Get If I’m Hurt in a Taxi Accident in Clearwater, Florida?
If you’re hurt in a taxi accident, you’ll usually be able to recover damages for your economic and non-economic losses.
Economic damages are paid to make up for the financial costs of your accident, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages and income
- Nursing care
- Funeral expenses after a fatal taxi accident
- Mental anguish
- Chronic pain
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of consortium
In limited instances, punitive damages may also be available. However, you have to prove that a cab driver (or another party) was grossly negligent or hurt you intentionally.
We won’t let insurance adjusters or cab companies push you around. We’ll do everything to get you full compensation for all of your damages.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Taxi Cab Accident in Florida?
Two years is the statute of limitations that applies to most personal injury lawsuits in Florida.
The Florida statute of limitations used to give accident victims four years to file. However, the law was changed on March 24, 2023. If your Clearwater taxi accident happened after that date, you have two years from the crash date to file a lawsuit.
You’ll have two years from the date of death to file a wrongful death action if a taxi cab accident in Clearwater is fatal.
Do not wait too long and let the statute of limitations expire. You’ll lose the right to recover compensation if you miss the deadline that applies to your case.
You can help ensure that your right to damages is preserved by calling Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers immediately after you get hurt.
Taxi Accidents Can Cause Catastrophic Injuries and Death
Taxis are notorious for being driven by distracted drivers who are in a rush. This means that many accidents happen at high speeds and can cause great harm.
Our law firm is here to help you if you or a family member is involved in one of these tragic taxi accidents.
We represent clients who have suffered:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Neck injury
- Back injury
- Chest injury
- Crushing injury
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Wrongful death, and more.
Seek medical attention as soon as you can after being involved in a car accident with a taxi. Prompt care can help to ensure that your injuries are all diagnosed and treated immediately. Your medical record can also help establish a causal link between the taxi accident and your injuries. This alone can be incredibly valuable as you fight to recover compensation.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Clearwater Taxi Accident Lawyer
Don’t underestimate the importance of hiring a lawyer if you’re hurt in a taxi accident. Whether you’re a taxi passenger or not, getting compensation for your injuries can be way more of a challenge than you might think. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we have decades of experience going up against tough insurance companies and taxi companies.
We’re smart negotiators and tough litigators. We’re the personal injury law firm the taxi companies don’t want you to hire. Speak with a member of our award-winning legal team to learn more. We’re available to take your call whenever you need our help, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Our personal injury law firm in Clearwater also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Aviation/Airplane Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Birth Injury Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Catastrophic Injuries Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Drowning Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Hurricane Insurance Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Maritime Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Mesothelioma & Asbestos Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Sexual Assault Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Slip And Fall Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Clearwater, FL