How Can An Experienced Tampa Personal Injury Lawyer Help With My Slip and Fall Accident Case?
Falls are a leading cause of accidental injury and death across the United States. If you were hurt in a slip and fall accident, you’re probably already learning how expensive it is to get hurt. Not only will you have to deal with expensive medical bills, but you might also be unable to work during your recovery.
Fighting to win fair financial compensation can be critical to protecting your financial security. Property owners can be held legally responsible for dangerous conditions on their property. When someone gets hurt because a property owner was negligent in maintaining the property, or failed to provide adequate warning, they’re responsible for paying your damages.
That’s easy to say–but it’s rarely easy to recover the full amount you need. Property owners turn to their insurance companies to handle these injury claims. That means you’ll be fighting against a for-profit company that will do anything they can to pay less than you deserve. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our legal team and Board Certified civil law specialists know how to fight back.
When you hire us, our Tampa personal injury attorneys will:
- Locate all relevant evidence needed to prove liability in your injury case
- Limit claims that you’re to blame for getting hurt
- Bring in experts who can establish the fair value of your slip and fall case
- Fight back when the insurance company does everything possible to drive down the value of your case
- Negotiate to win the fair settlement award you deserve
- Prepare to take your court if necessary
Insurance companies don’t want to end up in court. That’s one reason why most premises liability cases settle out of court. However, it’s important to make sure your settlement reflects the fair cost of your injuries–both now and in the future. Otherwise, you could find yourself on the hook for future medical costs.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we have over 50 years of combined experience fighting on behalf of accident victims in Tampa. Our award-winning attorneys will launch a full investigation into your case to find evidence the insurance company has to take seriously.
If you’re ready to learn more about what we can do to help, call our law offices and schedule your free case evaluation today.
What if the Insurance Company Blames Me For the Trip and Fall?
Some slip-and-fall accidents happen because someone was distracted and not paying attention. Even if that’s partly true, you don’t necessarily lose your right to compensation under Florida modified comparative fault rules if the accident occurred on someone else’s property. You will only lose your right to compensation if your share of fault exceeds 50%.
If shared responsibility comes into play, your damages award might be lower than if the property owner was solely responsible. If your level of blame is 50% or less, your compensation can be reduced in proportion to the amount of blame assigned to you.
If the property owner is trying to shift the blame to you, it’s important to get legal advice right away. Our attorneys at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will work to minimize the amount of fault allocated to you.
What Damages Are Available in Tampa Slip and Fall Injury Cases?
The amount of compensation available depends on the type and severity of your injuries. When our slip and fall lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers represent slip and fall accident victims, we’ll demand compensation to cover all of your costs – both present and future.
Damages can include money for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Future medical expenses
- Lost future earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Damages for wrongful death
It’s not uncommon for accident victims to be unsure about how much compensation they should demand. After all, you’re trying to put a price on some hard-to-value items, like pain and suffering.
Our attorneys have relationships with some of the most respected medical experts and specialists in the Tampa Bay area. Their opinion goes a long way when it comes to convincing the insurance company to pay the full amount you deserve. We’ll use those resources to your full advantage.
What Are Common Slip and Fall Accident Injuries in Florida?
Injuries sustained in a slip-and-fall accident can be surprisingly serious. Even if the accident seems minor, don’t underestimate the potential costs of your injury.
Common examples of slip, trip, and fall accident injuries include:
- Brain injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Nerve damage
- Broken bones
- Joint injuries
- Wrongful death
You don’t have to wait for your injuries to heal to take action. If you or a loved one are recovering, whether at home or in the hospital, we can start investigating right away. We can even arrange a consultation virtually, in your home or the hospital if you aren’t able to travel.
Who Can Be Held Responsible For Paying Damages in a Slip and Fall Injury Case?
Both business owners and private property owners can be held responsible for slips and falls. Business owners have a duty to protect customers from unreasonable hazards. For premises liability purposes, the legal term for customers is “invitees.”
Business owners owe invitees a duty to:
- Provide adequate warning about any known risks
- Fix dangerous conditions in a reasonable time frame
- Inspect the property on a regular basis to uncover any hidden hazards
Business owners, landlords, and even government property owners can be held responsible if you’re hurt because of an unreasonably dangerous property hazard.
Owners of private homes can also be held responsible for your injuries–but their duty is more limited. A private homeowner has to tell their guests about any known dangers that aren’t obvious. They aren’t required to inspect the property to identify hidden dangers.
What is the Statute of Limitations in Tampa Slip and Fall Accident Cases?
You have a relatively short timeframe to file a slip and fall accident lawsuit in Tampa. The statute of limitations in the state of Florida gives accident victims two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. The clock starts running on the date of your fall.
Historically, the deadline was longer, providing four years to file a lawsuit. However, the state revised its law on March 24, 2023. Therefore, if your Tampa slip and fall occurred after that date, you’re subject to the shorter two-year deadline.
If you miss the deadline, you lose your right to sue for damages. However, it’s important to get started working on your case much sooner. You’ll need proof that something on the property caused your fall. The best way to get that evidence is to call an experienced slip-and-fall attorney as soon as possible after the accident.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Tampa, FL
Tampa residents rarely have to worry about snow and ice. That doesn’t mean we’re able to escape the risk of slips and falls in the sunshine state. Property owners in Florida have a legal duty to fix any hazardous conditions on the property–but not everyone takes this duty seriously.
Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents in Tampa include:
- Slippery floors
- Broken or crumbling pavement
- Loose rugs and floor coverings
- Loose electrical wires
- Missing or broken railings
- Crumbling staircases
- Inadequate lighting
- Debris and clutter
Business owners are responsible for maintaining both the interior and exterior of the property. If you’re hurt in a parking lot or walking into a store, you may have the right to compensation.
We Handle All Types of Slip and Fall Accident Cases in Tampa
Slip and fall accident victims can sustain serious injuries. Some victims suffer catastrophic injuries, especially if the brain is injured. When you’re on someone else’s property, you should be able to expect that the property owner has taken all precautions to prevent you from getting hurt.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we’re here to help you hold negligent property owners accountable. We handle all types of slip and fall accidents, including those that happen in:
- Grocery stores
- Big box stores
- Shopping malls
- Amusement parks
- Swimming pools
- Restaurants and bars
- Sports complexes
- College campuses
- Nursing homes
- Apartment complexes
- And more
All property owners have a duty to keep their property reasonably safe for invited visitors. If you were hurt in a trip and fall accident, our personal injury attorneys will work hard to get the full compensation you deserve. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to call our law firm to arrange a free case review today.
Call a Skilled Tampa Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer to Protect Your Rights Today
Were you injured in a slip and fall, or trip and fall, accident in Tampa? An experienced Tampa slip-and-fall accident lawyer can make all the difference when it comes to recovering the fair compensation you deserve. Don’t hesitate to reach out to our law offices to schedule a free consultation.
Our personal injury law firm in Tampa also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Aviation/Airplane Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Birth Injury Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Bus Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Maritime Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Negligent Security Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorney in Tampa, FL
Slip and Fall Accidents Resources:
- Slip and Fall resources for employers and employees
- Slip and Fall Frequently Asked Questions
- National Safety Stand-down
Recent Slip and Fall Accidents Blog Posts:
- Should I Accept a Settlement Offer From Publix After an Accident?
- Can I Sue Publix if I Slipped and Fell in One of Their Stores?
- Imemorial Therapy Ctr LLC – 6105 Memorial Hwy STE. E, Tampa, FL 33615
- H&S Rehabilitation Center – 8408 Wilsky Blvd, Tampa, FL 33615
- Hess Spinal & Medical Centers – 8313 W Hillsborough Ave Ste 330, Tampa, FL 33615
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website. These were some of the highest-rated
Tampa Slip and Fall Accidents Review:
Read more of our Google Review here.