Have you recently lost a loved one in an accident in Tampa, Florida? You may have the right to hold the responsible party accountable for damages. An experienced Tampa wrongful death lawyer can help you pursue compensation for your losses.
The legal team at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers have more than 50 years of experience representing victims in all types of personal injury cases, including Tampa taxi accidents, truck accidents, workers’ compensation, Tampa workplace accidents, train accidents, and more.
Contact Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation at our Tampa office by calling us at (813) 686-7588. We’ll arrange a time when we can listen to your story and help you understand your legal rights.
How Our Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With Your Wrongful Death Lawsuit
A fatal accident is always devastating to the victim’s loved ones. You’ve just suffered an unimaginable loss. Even in your grief, you might quickly realize that you need financial help to make ends meet. It’s important to speak with an experienced Tampa personal injury attorney to make sure you understand all of your legal rights and options.
Careless people can be held financially accountable for the damage their actions cause. When those actions lead to a fatality, they can be held responsible for surviving family members. However, you’ll have to deal with an insurance company to get the money your family needs. Even when they seem kind, remember that they don’t care about what your family is going through–they only care about minimizing your financial award.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we have over 75 years of experience standing up to insurance companies in the Tampa Bay area.
Our Board Certified civil law specialists are passionate about helping your family get the maximum compensation possible. Our attorneys have been featured in top legal directories such as Justia, Findlaw, Avvo, and more.
When you hire our law firm, you can expect an attorney who will:
- Gather all evidence necessary to establish fault, including police reports, surveillance footage, eyewitness testimony, and more
- Hire experts and specialists who can offer evidence about the fair value of your wrongful death claim
- Identify every party who was even partly responsible for causing your loved one’s accident
- Limit the effectiveness of insurance tactics that try to minimize your claim by blaming the victim
- Handle all negotiations and communications with the insurance company
- Keep you fully informed as your case progresses
- Help you make informed decisions throughout the legal process
You have to present proof to establish your right to compensation after a fatal accident. Whether your loved one was killed due to the negligence of another in a car accident or even a slip and fall, it can be difficult to find the proof you need. Our lawyers will work tirelessly to present the strongest possible claim on your behalf.
We’ll be there for you every step of the way. If you’re ready to take the next step, call our law offices to schedule your free consultation today.
Do I Have a Valid Wrongful Death Case?
The Florida Wrongful Death Act defines wrongful death as one caused by a wrongful act, negligence, default, or breach of contract or warranty. In other words, wrongful death is one caused by someone else’s careless or reckless acts.
If your loved one would have had a valid personal injury lawsuit, you’re entitled to sue for wrongful death. The personal injury action “survives” your loved one’s death under Florida law.
Most wrongful deaths stem from fatal accidents. If someone was careless and caused the accident, our wrongful death attorneys can help you get justice in the form of financial compensation.
You might have a valid wrongful death case if you lost a loved one in a:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bus accidents
- Boat accidents
- Drowning accidents
- Uber or Lyft accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Acts of violence
- Defective products
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Medical malpractice
You shouldn’t have to suffer financially because someone else was careless. If you believe you have a valid wrongful death case, reach out to Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers as soon as possible. Our personal injury attorneys know how to win these challenging cases. We’ll work tirelessly to help you and your family through this difficult time in your life.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Florida?
Only close family members are entitled to recover for wrongful death in the state of Florida. Under Florida law, a wrongful death lawsuit is technically initiated by the decedent’s personal representative. Usually, the personal representative is someone identified in the last will and testament. However, it is the surviving family members who ultimately receive compensation.
Parties who are eligible to recover damages for wrongful death include the deceased person’s:
- Surviving spouse
- Blood relatives who were dependent on the decedent for financial support
In other words, only immediate family members of the victim are eligible to recover damages.
What Types of Compensation Are Available in Wrongful Death Cases in Tampa?
Damages in wrongful death actions are slightly different from typical personal injury cases. You’re entitled to recover all medical bills and expenses incurred because of the accident. In other words, you can recover reimbursement for costs incurred between the date of the accident and the date of death.
This might include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Nursing care
You can also recover damages that are specific to fatal accident cases.
That compensation might include money for:
- Loss of support and services, plus interest
- The present value of future lost support and services
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of parental companionship and guidance
- Loss of prospective net accumulations
- Funeral expenses
If the at-fault party acted intentionally, we can also demand punitive damages. Punitive damages are available solely to punish a defendant for intentional or especially shocking acts. For example, if the death of a loved one happened in a drunk driving accident, punitive damages may be available.
If you’re ready to start fighting to recover the compensation your family deserves, reach out to Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers today. We offer a free case evaluation so that you can get the legal advice you deserve at no cost to your family.
How Can I Prove Someone Else Caused My Loved One’s Fatal Hillsborough County Accident?
You might not have been present at the accident scene. It can be hard to know exactly what happened to cause the crash. The insurance company might be telling you that it was all your loved one’s fault–but who knows whether that’s actually the case?
Our lawyers have decades of experience handling wrongful death cases in Tampa. We can evaluate your case to determine whether you have the right to pursue compensation. If taking legal action is the best option, the first thing we’ll do is investigate to find out what happened.
Depending on the exact circumstances, that might mean we will:
- Subpoena relevant documents, including cell phone records, safety reports, and any other relevant information
- Interview witnesses
- Locate any video surveillance footage
- Work with accident reconstruction experts
- Review all police reports and medical records
It never hurts to ask for help if you have questions about your legal rights. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we’re always available to evaluate your case for free. Give us a call today to learn more.
What if the Defendant Tries to Blame My Loved One For the Accident?
It’s unfortunate, but even fatal accident victims can be blamed for causing an accident that resulted in death. Insurance companies really will do anything they can to pay less than you deserve. If you’re in this situation, it’s a smart idea to speak with an experienced wrongful death attorney. After all, your loved one isn’t around to defend themselves.
Under Florida’s modified comparative fault laws, you can recover compensation as long as your loved one’s share of fault was 50% or lower. If they were over 50% responsible for the fatal accident, you’ll be unable to recover compensation.
If your family member’s allocated blame is 50% or less, your overall compensation award will be reduced to reflect their liability. If they were 20% responsible, the settlement will be reduced by 20%.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers will work hard to minimize the fault allocated to your loved one. We’ll do everything we can so that you get the most possible compensation to hold the responsible parties accountable.
How Long Do I Have to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Florida?
The personal representative only has two years to initiate a wrongful death action in the state of Florida. This time limit is called the statute of limitations. The clock begins on the date of your loved one’s death.
The statute of limitations is a hard and fast rule. Once two years are up, you lose the right to recover compensation entirely. That’s why it’s important to speak with a lawyer quickly.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we know you’re grieving an unimaginable loss. Our lawyers will do everything we can to make the process as simple as possible. Just give us a call today so that we can take action and preserve your right to compensation.
Call a Tampa Wrongful Death Lawyer For Help Today
In our 75 years of experience, Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers has helped countless families get justice after the tragic loss of a loved one. We know how to help your family through this challenging time. If you have questions about protecting your financial future, call an experienced Tampa wrongful death lawyer today.
As always, your initial consultation is 100% free of charge.
Other Practice Areas In Tampa, FL
Here are some of the additional case types that our personal injury law firm in Tampa, FL can help with:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Aviation/Airplane Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Birth Injury Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Bus Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Maritime Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Negligent Security Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in Tampa, FL
Tampa Wrongful Death Resources
- Florida Office of Insurance Regulation
- Florida Supreme Court General Filing Information
- Summary of State Wrongful Death and Intestacy Statutes
Highly Rated Funeral Services Near Us:
- Blount & Curry Funeral Home Oldsmar West Hillsborough Chapel – 6802 Silvermill Dr, Tampa, FL 33635
- Gonzalez Funeral Home – 7209 N Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33614
- Boza & Roel Funeral Home – 4730 N Armenia Ave, Tampa, FL 33603
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Wrongful Death Client Review
Read more of our Google Review here.