If you were hurt because a doctor or health care provider was careless, you may have the right to compensation. Instead of fighting an uphill battle with the insurance companies, contact an experienced New Port Richey, Florida medical malpractice lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for help at (727) 815-8442.
Your first consultation is always completely free. We believe injured patients deserve the highest possible level of support, so give our New Port Richey law firm a call to learn how our skilled team can help you get the most compensation possible.
How Can a Respected Personal Injury Lawyer Help With My Medical Malpractice Claim in New Port Richey?
To succeed in a medical malpractice lawsuit, you’ll have to overcome significant procedural and evidentiary hurdles. While it seems unfair to place these burdens on the victim, that’s the way the laws in Florida are structured. You can also expect the insurance company to fight you every step of the way.
When you hire an experienced New Port Richey personal injury lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, you can take the time to focus on your recovery instead of fighting with insurance companies.
Our founding attorneys are both Board Certified Civil Law specialists. We’ve recovered $100 million and counting for our clients. We have 50+ years of collective experience. That all works in your favor when you call us for help.
You’ll also get the help of a respected local Pasco County attorney who will:
- Hire the medical experts needed to proceed with your claim under Florida medical malpractice laws
- Carry out a full investigation to identify the error or omission that caused you to suffer
- Locate everyone who might be held liable
- Handle all administrative and procedural issues
- Provide support and information so that you can make smart, informed choices as your case proceeds
- Protect you when the insurance companies try to scare you into taking less than you deserve
Speaking with a skilled medical malpractice lawyer is the first step to getting the financial help you need. Our lawyers will treat your family like our own–and you can rest assured that we’ll go above and beyond to get every dollar you deserve. All you have to do is call to get started.
How Common is Medical Malpractice in Florida?
Although the numbers remain controversial, a study by Johns Hopkins suggests that medical malpractice is the third leading cause of preventable death in the U.S. Between 75% and 99% of all doctors will face a medical malpractice lawsuit at some point in their careers.
Florida is among the first states in terms of the number of medical malpractice claims filed each year. Unfortunately, insurance payouts based on medical malpractice can amount to over $3 billion annually.
What is Medical Malpractice?
Even a responsible and competent medical professional can’t prevent every bad outcome. Doctors are human, and not every error in judgment will give the patient the right to sue for damage. Medical malpractice laws in Florida are geared toward preventing frivolous lawsuits that could drive up the price of healthcare.
Because of this, victims of medical malpractice often have to jump through hoops to get what’s fair. To proceed with a claim, you’ll have to have proof to establish the elements of a medical malpractice lawsuit. Those elements include:
- A duty of care, which can be established if you were receiving treatment
- A mistake or omission that no reasonably trained medical professional would have made under the circumstances
- Identifiable harm, such as a worsened condition
- Damages, whether financial, physical, or emotional
Importantly, the mistake must have directly caused the harm you suffered. Doctors and hospitals often try to argue that your health wouldn’t have improved regardless of the level of care you received. We’ll use our resources and expert sources to counter these claims.
We Handle All Types of Medical Malpractice Cases in New Port Richey, FL
Medical errors happen every day. The mistake must be relatively serious to give a patient the right to file a lawsuit for damages. In the medical context, some mistakes should simply never occur.
Some of the most common scenarios that might give you a cause of action based on medical error include:
- Failure to diagnose a disease
- Failure to order the appropriate tests
- Misinterpretation of diagnostic tests
- Delayed cancer diagnosis
- Medication errors, including prescribing the wrong prescription drug or an incorrect dose
- Operating on the wrong patient or body part
- Leaving a medical instrument or foreign object in a patient
- Emergency room errors
- Anesthesia errors
- Dangerous drugs
- Defective medical devices
- Failure to properly monitor a mother and fetus during pregnancy, labor, and delivery
- Failure to provide sanitary conditions in a medical facility
- Communication errors
- Failure to get a full patient history
- Failure to properly supervise a patient who might pose a danger to themselves or others
Circumstances are important in medical malpractice injury claims. Doctors are trained to take the full extent of the patient’s medical history into account when providing treatment. In other words, proper treatment can vary from patient to patient.
Medical malpractice happens when a medical professional deviates from the medical standard of care under the circumstances. It can be really difficult for a patient to know whether this has happened. An experienced New Port Richey medical malpractice attorney can evaluate your situation to determine whether you have a valid claim for damages.
What Are the Potential Consequences of Medical Malpractice?
High-quality medical care can make a world of difference in treating any injury or illness. In almost every case, the patient’s odds of a successful recovery improve when that care is received without delay.
Medical errors can have serious, long-term consequences for the victim. Some of the consequences of medical negligence include:
- The need for more extensive, invasive treatment
- Brain injury
- Surgeries and rehabilitative care
- Catastrophic injuries
- Birth injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
The cost of treating your health care provider’s error can be astronomical–and the financial costs can pale in comparison to the emotional and physical toll on the patient and their family.
Our lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will work tirelessly to get the full compensation you deserve. To get started, you can reach out to us online or call our law offices.
Who is Responsible For Damages if I Was a Victim of Medical Negligence?
Some medical errors are caused by general negligence on the part of a hospital or medical facilities. Others can be attributed to a specific medical provider.
Responsible parties may include:
- Physician’s assistants
- Administrative staff
- The manufacturer of a dangerous drug or medical device
- And more
Countless medical professionals are involved in providing the treatment of patients’ needs. Any one of those parties could shoulder the blame for medical malpractice. Our lawyers have the resources to identify the responsible party and take action on your behalf.
What Damages Are Available To Victims of Medical Negligence in New Port Richey, FL?
While it’s hard to tell you exactly what your case is worth, it’s true that medical negligence can be costly.
A medical mistake can generate the need for expensive, ongoing medical treatment. You might not be able to work while you get the care you need. You’re entitled to compensation for both your economic and non-economic damages.
That means you might be entitled to money for:
- Medical bills, to cover both past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning potential
- Physical therapy, rehab, and long-term care
- In-home care and modifications
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Damages for wrongful death
The Florida Supreme Court removed the cap on non-economic damages for medical malpractice victims. That means you’re entitled to recover the full compensation you deserve for emotional distress, PTSD, anxiety, and more.
Putting a dollar value on these types of damages can be challenging. With our experienced legal team by your side, your chances of getting everything you deserve are greatly improved. Give us a call today to learn more about your options.
What’s the Statute of Limitations in Florida Medical Malpractice Cases?
The statute of limitations is a legal term that defines the amount of time you have to sue for damages after you get hurt. The Florida statute of limitations in medical malpractice cases is two years. However, the limitation period works a little differently than in a typical car accident case.
The two-year period begins to run when you knew, or reasonably should have known, that you were hurt because of a medical error. This is known as the “discovery rule.” The one caveat is that Florida also puts a firm four-year cap on the time you have to file a lawsuit for malpractice.
Once the limitation period is over, you lose your right to compensation. If you suspect something went wrong or have questions, calling an experienced medical malpractice lawyer is the best way to protect yourself. We can review your case and determine the best way to preserve your right to compensation.
Contact an Experienced New Port Richey Medical Malpractice Lawyer Today
Medical malpractice victims are often left wondering how they’ll pay for the damage they’ve suffered. Let an experienced New Port Richey medical malpractice lawyer help with that stress. If you want to learn more about your legal rights, call Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for a 100% free consultation.
Other Practice Areas In New Port Richey, FL
Here are some of the additional case types that our personal injury law firm in New Port Richey, FL can help with:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Boating Accident Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyer in New Port Richey, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in New Port Richey, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in New Port Richey, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in New Port Richey, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Taxi Accident Attorneys in New Port Richey, FL
- Truck Accident Attorney in New Port Richey, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in New Port Richey, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in New Port Richey, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL