Most drivers in Tampa get to their destinations each day without incident. However, as Tampa car accident statistics prove, thousands more are hurt or killed on the roads each year.
As an accident victim, you could be entitled to financial compensation if you were seriously hurt, a Tampa car accident attorney can help.
Understanding State, Local, and Nationwide Car Accident Statistics
Transportation authorities collect data on traffic accidents at both the state and local level. Information is also collected nationally by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Nationwide, 36,560 motor vehicle accident fatalities were reported in 2019. Thousands more were seriously hurt. In the Sunshine State, the numbers are equally grim.
How Common Are Car Accidents in Florida?
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) provides information about the thousands of crashes that happen in Florida every year.
In 2020, there were 330,753 motor vehicle accidents reported in the sunshine state.
The report for 2020 shows that:
- 205,978 people were injured across the state
- 3,106 people lost their lives in fatal accidents
- 2141 traffic fatalities and 20, 242 injuries were caused by hit-and-run accidents
It can also be useful to understand the types of vehicles most likely to be involved in a fatal crash. The report shows that:
- 145 bicycle accidents were fatal
- 655 pedestrian accidents were fatal
- 477 motorcycle accidents were fatal
That means more than 41% of the total fatalities reported in Florida were motorcyclists, bicyclists, or pedestrians.
Typically, 52% of all fatal crashes in the state of Florida happened in single-vehicle accidents. In 2018, 1,512 (48%) were caused by multi-vehicle crashes. 44% of all fatal accident victims were not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the accident.
Hillsborough County, FL Car Accident Statistics
FLHSMV data also provides a county-by-county breakdown. In Hillsborough County alone, 199 people lost their lives in motor vehicle accidents during 2020. 16,068 people were injured in that single year.
The FLHSMV report provides the following data on accidents that occurred in the Tampa Bay area:
- 50 pedestrians were killed
- 25 motorcycle accidents were fatal
- 13 bicycle fatalities occurred
Unfortunately, law enforcement in Hillsborough County also reported 6,857 hit-and-run accidents during 2019. 1,640 of those crashes resulted in injuries–and 19 were fatal.
How Often Does Alcohol Play a Role in Car Accidents in Tampa?
County-wide statistics for 2019 also provide information about drunk driving accidents in Hillsborough County:
- 481 motor vehicle accidents involved alcohol
- 20 people lost their lives in drunk driving accidents
- 256 people were injured in drunk driving accidents
Of course, it isn’t always easy to know what caused a car accident. Multiple factors might contribute to the cause of any auto accident. Remember, there’s no risk in calling Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for help after a motor vehicle accident. Your initial consultation is always 100% free of charge.
Where Are the Most Dangerous Roads in Tampa?
According to a Vision Zero Action Plan study, some of the most accident-prone stretches of road in Hillsborough County include:
- Brandon Boulevard, from Falkenburg Road to Dover Road
- Gibsonton Drive, Boyette Road, from I-75 to Balm Riverview Road
- Hillsborough Avenue, from Longboat Boulevard to Florida Avenue
- Fletcher Avenue, from Armenia Avenue to 50th Street
- Dale Mabry Highway, from Hillsborough Avenue to Bearss Avenue
- Lynn Turner Road, from Gunn Highway to Ehrlich Road
While each of these stretches of roadway was identified for priority improvements, it’s important to remain vigilant if you’re driving in these areas.
How Can an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer Help if I Was Hurt in a Car Accident in Tampa?
Florida is a no-fault insurance state. Because of that, car accident victims are often tempted to handle their injury claims alone. Unfortunately, that can mean taking home a much lower settlement offer than you deserve.
Wondering why? Your no-fault insurance policy limits will cap the amount you can recover from your own insurance company after an accident. However, if you’re seriously hurt, you have the right to pursue compensation from the at-fault driver. But you shouldn’t expect their insurance company to make it easy.
An experienced Tampa personal injury attorney can help in a number of ways.
When you hire Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our Board Certified civil law specialists and legal team will:
- Gather evidence to prove that someone else’s negligence caused your accident
- Work with experts to demand fair compensation for your losses
- Review the evidence and locate proof to protect you when the insurance company tries to blame you for causing the accident
- Negotiate to get the maximum compensation possible in your case
If you were hurt in a car accident, know that you’re not alone. Statistics show that Florida residents are extremely likely to be involved in a crash at some point in time. Hundreds of thousands of accidents are reported statewide each year.
Statistically Speaking, These Are the Leading Causes of Car Accidents in Florida
In any car accident case, it’s critical to identify the cause of the accident. Florida Department of Transportation statistics show that the following are among the leading causes of car accidents in Tampa, FL:
- General negligence
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Improper backing
- Dangerous U-turns
- Improper left-turn
- Running a stop sign or red light
- Failure to stay in the driver’s lane
- Improper lane change/passing
- Disregarding road signs or traffic markings
Distracted drivers are much more likely to violate traffic laws–sometimes without even realizing it.
You deserve to know why you got hurt. Our Tampa wrongful death and personal injury attorneys at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will put in the resources necessary to identify the cause of your crash. All you have to do is call our law offices and ask for help.
How Long After a Crash in Tampa Can I File a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Under Florida law, accident victims have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit and two years to sue for wrongful death. Historically, personal injury victims in Florida had four years to file a legal claim for damages. However, the law was updated on March 24, 2023, providing less time to take legal action. If your Tampa collision happened after this date, you’re subject to the two-year statutory deadline.
These time limitations are extremely important. If you wait until the deadline passes, you’ll lose your right to compensation.
The more quickly our lawyers can get to work, the greater your chances of recovering maximum compensation become. We’ll investigate, locate the evidence to determine the cause of your crash, and demand compensation from all responsible parties.
Were you one of the nearly 20,000 people who were hurt in the Tampa, Florida area in a single year? If so, Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover full compensation from the at-fault driver. Call our law offices today to arrange a free consultation and learn more about your right to compensation.
Tampa Car Accident Statistics Speak For Themselves: Call Our Tampa Car Crash Attorneys For Help Today
Tampa car accident statistics underscore how common it is to be seriously hurt on the roads. If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident, call an experienced Tampa car accident attorney at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for help with your injury claim. We’ll do everything we can to get the most available compensation for your family.
Your initial consultation is always free, so don’t hesitate to call our law offices or reach out online today.
Common Car Accident Claims We Handle
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of car accident claims in Tampa, including:
- Head-on crashes
- Highway crashes
- Intersection crashes
- Parking lot accidents
- Rear-end accidents
- Recreational vehicle accidents
- Rollover accidents
- Self-driving accidents
- Uninsured motorists claims
Additional Car Accident Resources
- Can I Be Compensated for Pre-Existing Conditions After a Car Accident in Tampa?
- Can I Be Reimbursed For Lost Wages After a Car Accident?
- Car Color & Crash Risk in the Tampa Bay Area
- Common Car Accident Scenarios in Tampa- Causes & Determining Fault
- Passenger Negligence
- Questions To Ask a Lawyer After a Car Accident
- What if the Other Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance?
- Who Will Pay My Medical Bills After a Car Accident?