Tampa Car Accident Lawyer
Were you or a loved one recently involved in an auto accident? The experienced Tampa car accident lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will help you pursue maximum compensation from those responsible for the crash. Contact us at (813) 491-8790 to arrange a free consultation. We’ll fight to get you every dollar you deserve.
Let us put our 50+ years of combined experience and +$100M recovered to work for you to make things a bit easier. The team at our law firm is always available and standing by to take your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Why Should I Hire Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers To Handle My Tampa Car Accident Case?
Just because you may be entitled to compensation doesn’t mean that the process of getting cash in your hands will be an easy one. That’s where the Tampa personal injury lawyers can help.
Since 1996, our car accident lawyers have been an ally to injury victims, helping them assert their rights and recovering hundreds of millions of dollars for them along the way. Our founding attorney is Board Certified in civil trial law, which is something that less than 2% of all attorneys in the Sunshine State can say.
We’ve also been recognized by top organizations for our success in car accident claims. Expertise has named us among the “Best Car Accident Lawyers in Tampa,” a hand-picked list of firms with top qualifications, reputations, experience, and professionalism. Only a handful of other firms can say the same.
When you hire us, you can fully expect to benefit from the full force of our unparalleled experience, reputation, and resources.
- You’ll benefit from a free consultation with a member of our compassionate legal team.
- Expect to be treated with the compassion, dignity, and respect that you deserve.
- Our team will coordinate an exhaustive investigation into the circumstances surrounding your accident, aided by leading injury experts in Florida.
- Attorneys will protect you from efforts to “blame the victim” that could hurt your ability to recover the money you need and deserve.
- Insurance companies will take note when our Board Certified attorney is on the other side of the negotiating table – which can lead to meaningful discussions and a favorable settlement deal for you.
- If insurers and liable parties refuse to engage in fair settlement discussion, our Tampa car accident lawyers will be fully prepared to litigate your case in front of a jury in a courtroom.
Our team is committed to providing approachable and compassionate legal services to the clients we represent. Call our law office to learn more. We’re ready to discuss your case whenever it’s most convenient for you.
Tampa, FL Car Accident Statistics
As the third-largest city in the state of Florida, it’s no surprise that Tampa has some of the busiest and most congested roads in the Sunshine State. It’s also no surprise that traffic accidents are all too common here.
State crash data reveals that the likelihood of getting into a car crash in Tampa and Hillsborough County has increased in recent years, with the exception of 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic. With total collisions per year:
- 2016: 27,660
- 2017: 27,909
- 2018: 29,037
- 2019: 29,155
- 2020: 24,168
- 2021: 27,9882
- 2022: 23,903
That’s about a 44 percent increase in the number of crashes in less than a decade.
Hillsborough County Car Crash Stats [January 2023 Update]
In 2022, The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) reported there were a total of 28,184 crashes in Tampa and throughout Hillsborough County. The report for 2022 shows that:
- 19,159 people were injured(67.97% of Hillsborough County’s total crashes)
- 219 were fatal crashes (0.7% of Hillsborough County’s total crashes)
- 473 involved bicycles (1.6% of Hillsborough County’s total crashes)
- 595 involved motorcycles (2.11% of Hillsborough County’s total crashes)
- 652 involved pedestrians (2.31% of Hillsborough County’s total crashes)
According to preliminary data for 2023, there have been 159 traffic accidents so far (1/17/23)
How Serious Are Central Florida Car Accidents?
Very. According to statistics published by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, 181,005 people were injured and another 2,167 were killed in car accidents in Hillsborough County between 2012 and 2022.
When you break those numbers down, it means that 50 people are injured on roads nearby on an average day. That’s more than 2 people an hour. Fatal crashes, statistically speaking, occur about every other day.
Where Do Most Car Accidents Happen?
- Waters Ave and Himes Ave N
- Bruce B Downs Bl and Fletcher Ave E
- Sheldon Road and Waters Ave W, and
- Anderson Road and Waters Ave W
Despite your best efforts to stay safe, there might be an increased risk of getting into a car accident at one of these crossroads. Avoiding these areas, or having your teens steer clear, might help to reduce the odds of a crash.
Additionally, 5,247 of the county’s collisions have involved a hit-and-run accident – which is 26.8% of the county’s total crashes.
Why Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
There are many reasons that you should hire a car accident lawyer to help with your injury claim. First, they can help you understand your rights and options after the accident. They can also help you with four essential things: investigation, negotiation, litigation, and compensation.
- Investigation – Florida is a no-fault state for car accidents and car insurance. If you want to escape the no-fault system and collect more than just PIP benefits, you’ll need to prove another party “seriously injured” you. That requires evidence. A car accident lawyer can investigate to gather evidence of the other driver’s fault for the accident. They can also work with experts in finance, medicine, and accident reconstruction to help strengthen your claim.
- Negotiation – Your lawyer can manage all communications with the insurance company. After investigating and collecting evidence, your lawyer can take the lead in negotiations for your claim. They will leverage the evidence, as well as their skills and experience, to put you in the best position to recover maximum compensation for your claim. They will protect you from low-ball settlement offers and ensure you receive fair compensation from the insurer.
- Litigation – If the insurer refuses to settle your claim for a fair amount, your lawyer can initiate a lawsuit to recover the damages. They will manage all aspects of litigation and put pressure on the insurance company to settle your case or risk facing a judge and jury.
- Compensation – Studies show that hiring a personal injury lawyer can help you win up to 3x more compensation for an injury claim than if you handled the case by yourself. Your lawyer will accurately record and calculate the value of all your damages — and ensure you demand every cent you deserve from the insurance company.
Contact Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers today to schedule a free consultation to discuss how we can help your claim.
How Much is My Tampa Car Accident Case Worth?
No attorney can tell you what your case is worth before analyzing the facts and calculating your damages. However, the more severe your car accident injuries, the more your claim will typically be worth.
The National Safety Council estimates that the average economic cost of a collision in 2020 was:
- $12,800 for auto accidents with no observable injury
- $29,200 for auto accidents with an evident injury
- $101,000 for collisions that caused a disabling injury
- $1,750,000 for fatal auto accidents
These estimates only include medical costs, lost wages, and other economic expenses. If you include the value of non-economic damages such as lost quality of life, the average value of a auto accident case is likely much higher.
Our attorneys have won settlements and verdicts totaling over $100 million for car accident victims in Tampa and the surrounding areas. We work diligently to ensure that all our clients’ losses are included in their claims so that they receive an amount that fully compensates them. Then we fight for every dime as we work towards the best outcome possible.
Our car accident attorneys can help you learn more about the value of your case during a free consultation. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.
What Compensation Is Available After My Accident?
If your injuries are severe, there’s a good chance that your damages will exceed the limits of your car insurance policy. That’s when you can set your sights on a personal injury lawsuit and seek additional compensation from those responsible.
Florida law allows car accident victims to pursue economic damages for the financial losses they experience due to the crash and injuries, including:
- Present medical expenses
- Future medical costs
- Rehabilitation, nursing care, and therapy bills
- Lost income and wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Property damage
- Funeral and burial expenses if you lost a loved one
Car accident victims can also seek non-economic damages for their losses that affect them personally, such as:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of consortium
Punitive damages are used as a mechanism to punish defendants for their bad conduct. To be eligible for punitive damages, the plaintiff must prove by clear and convincing evidence that the defendant acted intentionally or with gross negligence.
Can I Get Compensation If I Share Fault For a Crash?
- Everyone who contributes to an accident shares responsibility for the financial fallout
- Victims can recover compensation for their injuries, reduced by the degree to which they played a role.
So, sharing some of the blame for a car wreck won’t mean that financial recovery from the insurance company is out of the question. It will simply mean that you can’t recover 100% of your compensatory damages. Instead, your financial award will be reduced in direct proportion to your share of the blame. If your share is 30% because you were speeding at the time of the accident, your damages will be reduced by 30%. For damages totaling $100,000, you’d be able to walk away with a check for $70,000.
In these situations, the less blame you share, the more your final financial award package will be worth.
We Handle All Types of Auto Accidents in Tampa
There are many different types of car accidents. Our law firm has experience handling claims arising from all kinds of car crashes, including:
- Head-on accident
- Rear-end collision
- Drunk driving accident
- Distracted driving accident
- Truck accidents
- Single-vehicle accident
- Multi-vehicle crash
- Hit and run accident
- Rollover accident
- T-Bone accident
- Intersection accident
- Highway accident
- Uninsured or underinsured driver accident
- Crashes involving a pedestrian, bicyclist, or motorcyclist
- Uber and Lyft accidents
Were you involved in one of these auto accidents? Our law firm can put over 50 years of combined experience behind your claim. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.
What Causes Most Car Accidents in Florida?
Accidents can happen for just about any reason under the sun. Some of the most common causal factors and scenarios include:
- Driving too fast for road conditions
- Aggressive maneuvers, especially at traffic lights and intersections
- Improper lane changes
- Failure to yield the right of way to bicyclists, pedestrians, and other motorists
- Making dangerous, illegal, or risky turns
- Distracted driving, especially texting and the use of a cell phone
- Drunk driving, or driving under the influence of a controlled substance
- Driving at night
- Mechanical failure (can lead to product liability)
- Inclement weather
- Hazardous road conditions, including potholes, debris, and obstructed signage
- Defective vehicle parts, including airbags, brakes, and tires
Determining the cause of your accident will be a fundamental part of your injury claim. Our attorneys will oversee an in-depth investigation into the circumstances that led up to and surrounded your crash. We’ll consider the facts from every possible angle so that we can be fully confident that we understand why your accident happened. With that information in hand, we can then turn our attention to determining who is liable.
What Are the Legal Elements of a Car Accident Case in Florida?
Most car accident cases are based on negligence. Negligence occurs when a driver fails to use reasonable care when driving and causes an accident.
Negligence requires proof of four elements:
- Duty – You must show the at-fault driver owed you a duty of care. All drivers have a duty of care to obey traffic laws and drive safely.
- Breach – You must prove the defendant breached their duty of care by failing to act as a reasonable person when driving. For example, they may have breached their duty of care by violating traffic laws (speeding, running a red light, etc.) before the accident.
- Causation – You must show the at-fault driver caused the accident. You will have to establish that the accident would not have happened had it not been for the defendant’s conduct. You will also have to show that your injuries were foreseeable.
- Damages – You must prove you suffered damages as a result of your accident.
Your attorney will use various forms of evidence to establish all four elements of negligence. They will use accident reports, photographs and videos of the accident, eyewitness testimony, expert testimony, and other forms of evidence.
Contact Roman Austin for help learning how to prove the elements of your case. We will make sure the other driver’s irresponsibility is accounted for.
How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Lawsuit in Florida?
The statute of limitations for these lawsuits – including those arising from motor vehicle accidents – is typically four years. This means that you must be filing a complaint by the fourth anniversary of your car accident if you want to preserve your right to recover compensation. If you miss the deadline, you’ll forfeit the opportunity to secure the money you need and deserve.
There are exceptions to this rule. The statute of limitations can potentially be tolled if an accident victim is a minor, if injuries aren’t discovered right away, or if a hit and run driver can’t be located.
However, an exception doesn’t always mean that you’ll have more time. If a crash is fatal, family members have two years to file a wrongful death claim against at-fault parties. If a government entity is involved, victims have a matter of months – not years – to take action. A personal injury attorney can help you with the process of filing an injury lawsuit.
What Types of Injuries do Car Collisions Cause?
Crash injuries can vary, based on the specific details of your crash – the speed at which you’re traveling upon impact, the number and types of vehicles involved in the crash, and the type of accident you’re in. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our car accident lawyers know that any injury can fundamentally change your life – now and for years to come.
That’s why we fight to help injury victims recover compensation for all of their injuries, including:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck and back injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Soft tissue damage, including sprains, strains, and joint injury
- Chest injury
- Airbag Injury
If you’ve been injured in an accident or lost a family member in a fatal wreck, call us now. Our car accident attorneys will help you seek full compensation from those responsible.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
Following a crash in Tampa, there are certain important things you should do. There are also certain things you should absolutely avoid doing as best you can. The decisions you make can have a massive impact on how any insurance claims or lawsuits you decide to pursue.
- Remain at the scene – it can be considered a hit and run if you leave
- Call the police or 911 to report the accident and request assistance
- Exchange insurance information with other parties
- Check to see if anyone needs immediate medical attention, but avoid apologizing or taking the blame
- Answer basic questions posed by the officer on the scene, but don’t offer details or expand beyond the scope of what’s asked
- Seek medical attention so that your injuries can be evaluated and fully documented
- Refuse to provide a recorded statement to insurance adjusters or discuss the car accident in detail
- Call a car accident attorney to learn about your legal rights and options, and have them handle all correspondence and communication with insurers and other parties.
Getting an attorney involved in the early stages can help to set you up for success. Your attorney can protect you from a scrupulous insurance company, work to fend off claims that you are responsible for the crash, and get to work on building a strong claim on your behalf.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Tampa Car Accident Lawyer?
Most car accident lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. Under this arrangement, your lawyer will not charge you any upfront fees. In fact, they will not charge you any fees at all unless they win your case.
If your accident attorney obtains a settlement or verdict in your favor, they will take a pre-agreed-upon percentage of your award as payment for their services. This percentage ranges from 30% to 40%, depending on the complexity of the case and the skills, experience, and location of the law office.
Moreover, law firms typically offer free consultations to all prospective clients. Accordingly, it costs nothing upfront to hire a car accident lawyer — and creates minimal financial risks for seeking experienced representation.
What Does PIP Insurance Cover?
Florida is a no-fault state for car insurance and car accidents. All Florida drivers are required to buy a minimum amount of Personal Injury Protection insurance ($10,000). In the event of an accident, you will make a claim against this insurance to recover compensation for your medical bills and lost wages — no matter who was at fault for your accident. With your PIP coverage, you cannot recover non-economic damages and can only recover a portion of your economic damages.
You cannot opt out of the no-fault system unless you suffered serious injuries, PIP insurance only covers 80% of bills for medical care and 60% of lost wages related to the accident, and up to the policy limits, in this case, you can sue or make a claim against the at-fault driver. You will be able to recover all your economic losses and your non-economic losses.
What Factors Can Affect Your Car Accident Claim?
There are many different and important factors that can affect the value and strength of your car accident claim.
Some factors that may affect your claim include:
- The seriousness of your injuries and damages
- The strength of your evidence
- Whether you share fault for the accident
- Available insurance coverages
- What parties share fault for your accident
- The statute of limitations
There may be other variables that come into play depending on the circumstances of your accident. Contact Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers to learn what factors will affect your personal injury case.
Who’s Liable in My Auto Accident?
Anyone who contributes to an accident – directly or indirectly – can be financially liable for the consequences.
This might include:
- Drivers of other passenger vehicles on the road
- Passengers – in your vehicle or another car
- Truck drivers can also cause an accident
- Bicycle riders or pedestrians
- Bikers can cause motorcycle accidents
- Employers of parties involved in the crash
- Mass transit companies – including private and government entities
- Government agencies responsible for road design, maintenance, and safety
- Road construction companies and workers
- Car manufacturers
- Companies responsible for producing or selling vehicle safety equipment depending on the types of car
Our Tampa car accident attorneys will carefully consider the facts and evidence of your case to be certain that we identify all potentially liable parties. When we move forward with a legal claim for damages, we’ll pursue compensation from anyone who contributes to your injuries and suffering.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Tampa Car Accident Attorneys Today
If you’ve been injured in a crash you may be entitled to compensation. The experienced Tampa car accident lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can help you demand a full and fair financial award.
We know this is a difficult time in your life. It’s a good idea for us to handle the ins-and-outs of your injury claim for you. Contact our law firm to schedule a free case evaluation. We’re here to answer whenever you call. Get the professional representation you deserve and make the negligent party pay for your pain and recover a fair settlement.
Car Accident Client Review
Click here to see the review.
Additional Car Accident Resources and Information
- When Do You Need To Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
- How Long Will My Car Accident Case Take to Settle?
- Do I Need a Lawyer After a Hit & Run Accident?
Recent Car Accident Blog Posts
- What To Do With a Damaged Car After a Hurricane in Florida
- Traffic and Red Light Cameras
- I Was Hit By A Driver Who Does Not Have Insurance. What Can I Do?
- How Much to Expect From a Car Accident Settlement
- After a Car Accident: When to Go Through Insurance vs When to File a Lawsuit
Auto Repair Shops Near Our Law Office
- Ice Cold Air Discount Auto Repair-7901 W Hillsborough Ave, FL 33615
- Miguel Auto Air & Mobile Mechanic LLC-4545 Castaway Dr Apt 2, FL 33615
- Reis Auto Service-7532 W Hillsborough Ave, FL 33615
- Gerhold’s Auto Repair-6009 Jarvis St, FL 33634
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Car Accident Infographic
Visit Our Law Office
Areas We Serve in Hillsborough County, FL
Hyde Park, West Tampa, Ybor City, Armenia Gardens Estates, Ballast Point, Bayshore Beautiful, Bayshore Gardens, Bayside West, Beach Park, Beach Park Isles, Bel Mar Shores, Channel District, Culbreath Heights, Culbreath Isles, Davis Islands, Drew Park, East Tampa, Belmont Heights, Florence Villa, Forest Hills, Golf View, Historic Hyde Park North, Interbay, Lowry Park North, North Hyde Park, North Tampa, Old Seminole Heights, Palma Ceia, Palma Ceia West, Palmetto Beach, Port Tampa City, Rembrandt Gardens, Riverside Heights, South Seminole Heights, Southeast Seminole Heights, Tampa Palms, Virginia Park, West Tampa, Marina Club, Northwest Tampa, Seminole Heights, Tampa Heights, South Tampa, Downtown, Westshore and Ybor Heights.