Were you or a loved one hurt because of a medical error in Tampa, FL? Medical malpractice victims are often entitled to significant compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. If you suspect you were a victim, an experienced Tampa medical malpractice lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can help.
Since 1996, our Board Certified Civil Law experts have been fighting to help injured clients get the financial help they need to move forward. We’ve already recovered over $100 million in compensation and are ready to go to work for your family.
Ready to learn how our proven track record of success can help in your case? Contact our law offices in Tampa, Florida at (813) 686-7588 to arrange a free consultation today.
How Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help if You Were Harmed by Medical Malpractice in Tampa
If you were harmed by medical negligence, you might be dealing with the consequences for years. For some victims, life will never be the same again. Your prognosis might have been good when you went in for treatment. Now, you find yourself struggling with ongoing medical care, rehabilitation, and pain–all of which could have been avoided if your doctor had been careful.
The costs can add up quickly. Unfortunately, there’s no way to go back and fix the past. You can, however, hold the negligent parties financially accountable. Our experienced Tampa personal injury attorneys can help you navigate the complex legal process.
When you choose Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ll handle every part of your case.
You can expect a lawyer who will:
- Gather the evidence needed to support your injury claim, including medical records, expert testimony, eyewitness statements, and more
- Interview hospital employees to find what happened
- Identify all sources of insurance compensation
- Work with respected experts to arrive at an insurance demand that fully accounts for your past and future suffering
- Fight back when the insurance company tries to scare you into accepting a lowball settlement
If you’re suffering because of medical negligence, you’re not alone. Thousands of Americans are hurt by medical errors every year. Like them, you deserve to be fairly compensated for your losses.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our Tampa personal injury attorneys collectively have over 75 years of experience. We invest in your case so that we can secure the highest settlement or verdict possible. If you’re interested in learning more about your rights, call our law firm for a free consultation today.
What is My Tampa Medical Malpractice Case Worth?
Establishing the value of a medical malpractice case is one of the most complex elements of the legal process. It’s also one of the most critical. After all, your settlement award will have to account for all of your future costs, as well as what you’ve already lost.
You’re entitled to compensation for the damage caused by your doctor’s mistake. Putting a price tag on your diminished health, however, is rarely simple.
The value of your case might be influenced by:
- The severity of a worsened condition
- Whether the doctor’s mistake was especially clear or shocking
- The value of your lost past and future wages
- The types of future medical care you’ll require
- The emotional toll the events have had on you
Doctors and hospitals will try to reduce the value of your claim by arguing that your condition would have become worse even if the doctor hadn’t made a mistake. It’s up to your legal team to establish the fair value of the harm you’ve suffered.
Often, the skill of the expert witnesses who support your claim will influence the value of your award. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ll bring experts in economics, medicine, rehabilitation, and other relevant specialties to testify on your behalf. With their help, we’ll gain a more clear picture of your future prognosis–and the cost of treatment.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Medical Malpractice Victims?
If you succeed in a medical malpractice claim, you’ll be entitled to compensation for your economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages include compensation for:
- Past and future medical bills associated with treating a worsened condition
- Past and future lost wages and income
- Physical therapy, rehab, and other types of care
- Medical devices
- Any other out-of-pocket costs associated with the injury or illness
Of course, the harm caused by medical negligence is much deeper than simple financial losses. Non-economic damages compensate for your emotional trauma, and might include compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Damages for wrongful death if you lost a loved one due to a doctor’s mistake
Money can’t make up for the loss of good health. However, it can offer a way to protect your financial future–and you shouldn’t have to pay for someone else’s mistake. Give us a call at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers today to learn more about how we’ll fight for every dollar you deserve.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Medical Malpractice Injuries
Medical malpractice can be devastating for the victim. When your condition isn’t properly treated, it can become more serious over time. For example, failure to diagnose cancer can allow a treatable form of cancer to become life-threatening.
Victims of medical negligence often suffer serious and even catastrophic long-term consequences, including:
- The need for more extensive or invasive treatment
- A worsened underlying condition
- Corrective surgeries
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Wrongful death
When a careless doctor jeopardizes your health, you deserve fair compensation for your losses. Call Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers today to learn more about our practice areas and how an experienced Tampa medical malpractice attorney can help.
What Causes Medical Malpractice in Tampa, Florida?
Any medical professional can be held liable for the harm caused by medical errors. Doctors, nurses, and even hospitals can be held financially accountable. In fact, studies suggest that most medical errors are caused by institutional failures.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of medical malpractice cases in Tampa.
Research shows that some of the leading causes of medical malpractice include:
- Failure to diagnose
- Surgical errors
- Wrong site surgery
- Prescription drug errors
- Anesthesia errors
- Hospital negligence
- Emergency room errors
- Birth injuries
- Failure to obtain the patient’s informed consent
- Failure to follow up after treatment or surgery
- Inadequate postoperative instructions
- Inadequate communication between health care professionals
- Failure to take a complete patient history
- Use of defective medical devices
Any number of situations can lead to a valid claim for medical negligence. If you were hurt as a result of medical negligence, call Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for legal advice today. We’ll evaluate your case for free and help you understand your legal rights.
How Do I Prove Negligence in a Florida Medical Malpractice Case?
Medical malpractice claims are handled differently than your basic car accident case.
Typically, you have to prove the following four elements to recover compensation in a personal injury case: duty of care, breach of duty, damages, and causation.
Usually, the “duty of care” means that everyone has to act reasonably careful to keep others safe. In medical malpractice cases, you have to show that the doctor didn’t live up to the medical standard of care under Florida Statutes 766.101.
What is the Medical Standard of Care?
It isn’t enough to show that your treatment didn’t go as planned. You have to prove that the doctor deviated from the medical standard of care to recover compensation. The medical standard of care can vary from case to case.
It’s influenced by things like:
- The nature of the injury or illness
- The patient’s age and medical history
- The medical provider’s specialty and training
- Geographic location
You might wonder how, exactly, a lawyer can help establish the medical standard of care. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we have relationships with medical experts who can help. In fact, Florida medical malpractice law requires you to offer at least one expert’s opinion to support your claim before you can even get started.
Elements of a Successful Medical Malpractice Claim
Medical malpractice happens when the doctor fails to provide the same level of care that a reasonable doctor would have under the circumstances.
You also have to prove:
- A doctor-patient relationship (or relationship between you and the caregiver)
- The doctor’s negligence resulted in a deviation from the medical standard of care
- That the failure caused your injury
- You suffered damages
For example, damages might be established by showing that your underlying condition became worse because you received inadequate treatment.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit for Medical Malpractice in Florida?
In Florida, the statute of limitations only gives you two years to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. However, the clock starts running on the date you knew, or reasonably should have known, that you were hurt because of a medical error.
Contact a Tampa Medical Malpractice Lawyer for a Free Consultation
It can be tough to know what went wrong if your medical treatment didn’t go as planned. If you suspect medical negligence played a role, call an experienced Tampa medical malpractice lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for a free consultation today.
We’ll sit down, review your case and develop a strategy for recovering the compensation you deserve.
Our personal injury law firm in Tampa also provides:
- Car Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Tampa, FL