Were you or a loved one injured in an accident off the coast of Tampa, Florida? Maritime injury cases can be extremely complicated. An experienced Tampa maritime accident lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover money for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering.
Between us, our injury attorneys in Tampa have over 50 years of experience handling complicated accident and injury cases, such as Tampa brain injuries, pedestrian accidents, medical malpractice, slip and fall accidents, Tampa wrongful death, and more. We’ve recovered over $120 million for our injured clients to date–and counting.
Why Should I Hire Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for Help With My Tampa Maritime Accident Case?
Hiring an experienced lawyer can be beneficial for many different reasons. You may not be sure what your case is worth. You may be receiving benefits and suspect you deserve more. Someone may be challenging your right to compensation.
An experienced Tampa personal injury lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can help with these and any other challenges you may face.
Our founding attorney has been recognized with a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating and a perfect-10 Avvo rating. He’s also been listed among Tampa Bay’s Top Trial Lawyers and rated by Super Lawyers.
When you trust us for legal representation, we will:
- Carefully investigate the circumstances of the accident
- Compile evidence to prove your case
- Determine which state and federal laws may apply in your case
- Evaluate your case value and determine the benefits you should receive
- Protect you if someone claims you are not entitled to compensation
- Negotiate with the insurance companies for full compensation
The recovery process can be difficult enough. Our team is here to handle the legal issues and insurance complications. Call us today to schedule a free consultation with a Tampa personal injury attorney.
What Are Maritime Accidents?
Boating accidents tend to refer to accidents that involve recreational boats. On the other hand, maritime accidents typically occur at sea or involve maritime workers. Essentially, a maritime accident is any type of non-recreational boating accident.
Maritime accidents often involve:
- Commercial fishing boats
- Shrimp boats
- Cruise ships
- Marine cranes
- Offshore drilling rigs
- Jack-Up rigs
- Crude oil tankers
- Cargo ships
- Accidents in shipyards or docks
Maritime accidents can be much more complicated than typical boating accidents. Federal maritime or admiralty laws may apply in addition to state-specific laws. It’s especially important to work with an experienced attorney who understands these laws and how they may apply in your case.
Do I Have a Valid Maritime Accident Claim?
Maritime laws protect many different groups of accident victims. They do protect maritime workers, but you could have a valid maritime accident claim even if you were not working in the maritime industry at the time of the accident.
You could have a maritime accident lawsuit if you were injured as a:
- Cruise ship crew member
- Cruise ship passenger
- Commercial fisherman
- Ship repairman
- Ship crew member
- Crew member on a tour boat or sailing charter
- Harbor worker
- Ferry passenger
Speaking with an experienced lawyer is the best way to learn whether you have a maritime accident case. Contact Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers today to discuss your legal options.
What Is My Tampa Maritime Accident Lawsuit Worth?
The value of your case depends on many different factors.
Some of the most important factors that will impact your case include:
- The severity and nature of your injuries
- The laws that govern your case
- Your average weekly wages prior to the accident
- Whether your disability is total or partial
- Whether you will ever return to work in the same capacity
Depending on the circumstances of the injury, various laws may apply in your case. If you were injured while working aboard a vessel on navigable waters, you may not be entitled to claim Florida state workers’ compensation benefits. Instead, federal law may apply. In these cases, the value of your claim is often limited to economic damages.
It’s also possible that traditional personal injury laws could apply in your case. If someone other than an employer is responsible for your injuries, you may be entitled to file a lawsuit to recover compensation for things like pain and suffering or emotional distress. These non-economic damages can greatly increase your case value.
What Types of Damages Can I Recover If I Was Injured in a Maritime Accident Off the Coast of Tampa, FL?
The types of damages that may be available depend on the laws that apply in your case.
It’s possible that your case may be covered by:
The United States Jones Act
The Jones Act is also called the Merchant Marine Act of 1920. The federal law is similar to state workers’ compensation laws and provides benefits to injured maritime workers who qualify as “seamen.”
If a ship owner fails to maintain the vessel in seaworthy condition, injured workers are entitled to “maintenance and cure.”
Maintenance and cure benefits may include:
- All reasonable and necessary medical expenses
- Living expenses while you recover
These benefits are available until you are able to return to work or until you reach maximum medical improvement (MMI).
Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA)
The Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA) protects some maritime workers who are not entitled to compensation under The Jones Act. Shipbuilders, harbor construction workers, longshoremen, and others may qualify for benefits.
The LHWCA provides compensation for:
- Total or partial disability, based on your average wages prior to the accident
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Medical treatment
You may also be entitled to vocational rehabilitation if you are unable to return to your prior job due to a work-related injury or illness.
Florida Personal Injury Laws
If state personal injury laws apply, you can seek compensation for economic and non-economic losses like any auto accident victim.
That compensation may include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning potential
- Nursing care
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium and other damages for wrongful death
Our Tampa boat accident lawyers will evaluate your case carefully and determine the types of compensation you may be entitled to receive. You can schedule a free case review by calling our law firm today.
Maritime Accident Victims Are Often Left Struggling With Severe Injuries
A serious injury can create a difficult situation.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we often represent clients who have sustained:
- Broken bones
- Back injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Organ damage
- Respiratory illnesses caused by exposure to toxic substances
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Were you injured at sea? Contact our Tampa maritime accident attorneys to learn more about your legal rights today.
What Are Some Common Causes of Maritime Accidents in Tampa, Florida?
Accidents happen for many different reasons. Typically, they occur when people are careless or cut corners to maximize profits.
Some of the most common causes of maritime accidents include:
- Lack of proper safety equipment
- Dangerous conditions aboard the vessel
- Failure to properly train or supervise workers
- Negligent security
- Dangerous water conditions
- Violation of state and federal safety regulations
- Communication failures
- Fatigued workers
- Faulty vessel designs
- Failure to maintain the vessel in seaworthy condition
Our lawyers can help you determine what caused your accident. It’s also important to remember that you may be entitled to compensation even if you were partly to blame for a work-related accident.
Our Lawyers Handle All Types of Maritime Accident Cases
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of maritime accident claims, including those involving:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Fires and explosions
- Equipment failure or malfunction
- Exposure to hazardous substances
- Falling objects
- Vessel groundings
- Falls overboard
Just give us a call to learn more about your legal options today.
How Long Do I Have To Take Legal Action After a Maritime Accident Off the Coast of Florida?
The deadline depends on the laws that govern your case. Most of the time, you have three years to file a lawsuit under federal law.
Under the LHWCA, you have 30 days to notify your employer about the accident.
In cases involving Florida personal injury laws, the statute of limitations gives most victims two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you were injured before March 24, 2023, you have four years to file a personal injury lawsuit.
Regardless of the laws that apply in your case, it’s important to take legal action quickly after an accident. Call our team today to learn how we can protect your legal rights.
Arrange a Free Initial Consultation With an Experienced Tampa Maritime Accident Lawyer Today
You probably have many different questions if you were injured in an accident. Contact Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers to learn more about how an experienced Tampa maritime accident lawyer can help you recover the full compensation you deserve. Your consultation is always completely free of charge.
Our personal injury law firm in Tampa also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Aviation/Airplane Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Birth Injury Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Bus Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Negligent Security Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorney in Tampa, FL