Were you or a family member injured in a pedestrian accident in Tampa, Florida? Call an experienced Tampa pedestrian accident lawyer to learn more about your legal right to compensation. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our attorneys will fight to recover the maximum available compensation under the law.
Our personal injury lawyers have over 50 years of collective experience helping accident victims in Tampa. We’ve recovered tens of millions of dollars for victims of motorcycle accidents, cruise ship accidents, Lyft accidents, Tampa catastrophic injuries, Tampa construction accidents, and more.
How Can Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers Help With My Tampa Pedestrian Accident Case?
Pedestrians are at the greatest risk of sustaining serious injuries in a motor vehicle accident. That means you’re most likely to incur expensive medical bills and be unable to work while you’re hurt.
You shouldn’t have to deal with the financial fallout when someone else caused the car accident in the first place. Unfortunately, getting fair compensation won’t be as easy as filing an insurance claim. You have to locate proof–both to prove the other party was responsible and to prove you deserve the compensation you demand.
That can be tough to do when you’re in the hospital or facing months of rehab. An experienced Tampa personal injury lawyer has the resources to handle your case while you recover.
When you choose Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers will:
- Gather proof to convince the insurance company that they’re responsible for damages
- Identify every party who shared responsibility
- Defend you when someone tries to blame you for getting hurt
- Hire experts and specialists to support your injury claim
- Negotiate the highest available settlement
If you’re struggling, you don’t have to go it alone. Our Board Certified personal injury lawyers have more than 50 years of combined experience fighting for accident victims in the Tampa Bay area. Call our law offices today for a free case evaluation.
How Dangerous Are Pedestrian Accidents in Tampa, Florida?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a pedestrian is killed in the United States every 88 minutes. Unfortunately, while auto accident deaths across the U.S. have been falling, pedestrian traffic deaths continue to increase.
A report published by the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) estimated that 6,590 pedestrians were killed in 2019. That’s the highest number reported in 30 years.
Florida is not a pedestrian-friendly state. Based on the 2019 numbers, Florida is one of five states that accounted for 47% of all pedestrian deaths. In 2019, there were a total of 9,736 accidents involving pedestrians. 2,954 of those were fatal, resulting in 3,189 deaths.
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, at least 643 of Florida’s pedestrian accidents happened in Tampa and surrounding areas in Hillsborough County. Of those, 209 were fatal and resulted in 217 deaths.
Here are some additional facts on pedestrian fatalities:
- Most deaths take place on local roads, with pedestrians crossing intersections
- Pedestrian accident fatalities at night increased by over 67% in the past ten years
- Pedestrian accident fatalities involving SUVs have increased by about 81% over the last decade
Center for Disease Control (CDC) research shows that pedestrians are 1.5 times more likely to be killed in a crash when compared with passenger vehicle occupants. All of this information leads to one key question: what’s causing so many pedestrian accidents in Florida?
What Types of Damages Can I Recover if I Was Injured in a Pedestrian Accident?
Florida personal injury law gives accident victims the right to recover three primary types of damages: economic damages, non-economic damages, and punitive damages. If you’re seriously hurt, it’s critical to get the maximum available amount.
That’s where a skilled personal injury lawyer can help. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we hire respected experts to testify about the expected future costs of your injuries.
Here’s a basic rundown of the types of damages you might recover in a serious injury case:
Examples of economic damages include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages and income
- Future medical expenses
- Physical therapy
- Rehabilitative care
- Long-term care
- Medical devices
- In-home assistance and home modifications
- Property damage
Future economic expenses can be difficult to estimate. Insurance companies like to try and tell you what your injuries will cost. However, trusting the insurance company to offer a fair amount is often a mistake.
Instead, we work with your doctors and medical experts to get an independent estimate so that we can demand the compensation you’ll really need for the future.
Non-economic damages repay you for the intangible costs associated with the injury.
This category includes things like:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of your independence
These damages can be notoriously difficult to value. If necessary, we’ll bring in specialists in psychology, finance, and other areas to offer proof of the fair value to the insurance company.
Punitive damages are designed only to punish the defendant. They’re not always available to accident victims. Judges usually award punitive damages when the defendant’s acts were intentional. For example, a drunk driver who caused a pedestrian accident might be responsible for punitive damages.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Tampa, FL?
You have to find out what caused your accident to recover compensation for your injuries. It’s a common mistake to think that you can automatically recover compensation because the pedestrian always has the right of way. In reality, you have to offer proof that someone else was negligent.
Often, drivers just aren’t watching out for pedestrians on the roads. Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents in Tampa include:
- Improperly designed intersections
- Distracted driving
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Failure to yield
- Drunk driving
- Drowsy driving
Many pedestrian accidents happen so quickly that the victim doesn’t know what hit them. Hiring a personal injury attorney can help you get to the bottom of it. Our lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will work hard to uncover the cause of your crash. All you have to do is call and ask us to get started.
We’ll Fight to Recover Fair Compensation for All of Your Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Without the protection of a motor vehicle, pedestrians are much more likely to be seriously injured in a crash. Even if you’re lucky enough to walk away from the crash, you might be facing months or years of rehab and physical therapy.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our Tampa pedestrian accident attorneys will fight to win fair compensation for all of your pedestrian accident injuries.
We have experience representing clients who have suffered:
- Brain injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Hip fractures
- Organ damage
- Pelvic injuries
- Knee injuries
- Broken bones
- Severe burn injuries, or “road rash”
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Your injuries don’t have to be catastrophic to hold the responsible party liable for damages. When drivers aren’t alert and paying attention to pedestrians on the roads, they should be held accountable.
Our law firm is dedicated to doing just that. Give us a call today to learn more about how we can fight to get fair compensation for your losses.
What’s the Deadline for Filing a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit in Hillsborough County, Florida?
Accident victims only have a limited amount of time to take action. Every state has a law on the books called a statute of limitations.
In Florida, the statute of limitations typically gives victims two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. After two years, you lose your right to hold the at-fault party responsible.
However, note that historically, Florida law gave victims four years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. The statute of limitations was revised on March 24, 2023, providing less time to take legal action. If your Tampa pedestrian accident occurred after that date, you’re required to file your lawsuit within two years.
What if the Driver Blames Me for Causing the Crash?
Did you dart into the roadway or cross the street before the traffic signal changed? Expect the insurance company to claim that you did. When they do, understand that they’re trying to reduce or prevent your compensation award under Florida’s comparative fault laws.
Comparative fault, or shared responsibility, apportions blame between everyone involved in the accident. Florida follows a modified comparative negligence system that bars financial recovery if your level of blame exceeds 50%. That means you can only recover compensation if you were 50% or less responsible for the accident.
However, your compensation will be reduced in proportion to your share of the fault. Sound complicated? It usually is. If you have questions about how shared fault can impact your injury claim, call Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for a free consultation today.
Who’s Liable For My Tampa Pedestrian Accidents and Injuries?
Anyone who was liable for the accident can be held partly responsible. Multiple parties can be held responsible for causing the same accident. Our lawyers in Tampa will fight to hold every party fully accountable for your losses.
We might be able to pursue compensation from:
- An at-fault driver
- Truck drivers
- The government agency responsible for designing an intersection or maintaining roads
- The employer of an at-fault driver
- Property owners
- Product manufacturers
- And more
Once we pinpoint the cause of your accident, our team at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can identify all responsible parties to recover the maximum available compensation.
Contact an Experienced Tampa Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Today
The legal aspects of your case can become complex quickly–and it’s always hard to know what your case is worth. An experienced Tampa pedestrian accident lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will handle every aspect of your case. Just give us a call and schedule a free case review to learn more.
Our personal injury law firm in Tampa also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Aviation/Airplane Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Birth Injury Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Bus Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Tampa Car Accident Attorneys
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Maritime Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Negligent Security Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorney in Tampa, FL
Pedestrian Accident Resources:
- Pedestrian Safety
- Florida’s Pedestrian and Bicycle Strategic Safety Plan (PBSSP) and Coalition
- Florida’s Pedestrian & Bicycle-Focused Initiative
Recent Pedestrian Accidents Blog Posts:
- Five Ways You Can Help Prevent a Pedestrian Accident
- Pedestrians and Cyclists Get a Raw Deal from Law Enforcement and Courts
- Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers Secures $335,000 Jury Verdict for Injured Pedestrian
Hospital and Emergency Room:
- Hospital for Endocrine Surgery – 6001 Webb Rd, Tampa, FL 33615
- HCA Florida West Tampa Hospital – 6001 Webb Rd, Tampa, FL 33615
- HCA Florida South Tampa Hospital Emergency Room – 2901 W Swann Ave 1st Floor, Tampa, FL 33609
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website. These were some of the highest-rated
Tampa Pedestrian Accidents Review:
Read more of our Google Review here.