Summer is coming to end and kids across the country are returning, or preparing their return, to the classroom. The month of August is also Back-to-School Safety Month! If your child is going back to school, Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers would like to remind you about the importance of making safety a top item on your back-to-school checklist. After all, kids can be prone to mistakes and accidents, and schools and streets are filled with plenty of hazards.
To help keep yourself and your loved ones safe this back-to-school season, our Clearwater personal injury lawyers have put together a few important safety tips:
Commuting to School
Plenty of children bike or walk to school. If your kids commute by foot, or if they gather around school zones and other streets, take some time to talk with them about some important safety rules. Remind your children to:
- Only cross at street corners and obey all signals
- Never run or dart out into the street
- Always walk in front of school busesto remain visible to drivers
- Look both ways before crossing
- Wear a helmet when riding a bike or skateboard
Helpful Tips for Drivers
The school year can also create new hazards and potential risks for drivers, especially parents who drop off or pick kids up from school. Keep these helpful tips in mind
- Always slow down when approaching and driving through school zones or residential neighborhoods. There will often be a slower posted speed limit in these areas.
- Be alert for pedestrians in school zones and nearby neighborhoods, and especially during the early morning or afternoon hours. Remember that kids may dart out from in between vehicles.
- Be careful when exiting driveways or parking lots.
- Avoid distractions that can take your attention off the road – including texting!
- Always give the right of way to school kids and obey the rules of the road when near school buses. If a school bus displays a stop sign – you need to stop and wait.
Remember, it is always a wise decision to talk openly with your children about the importance of safety – not only when it comes to pedestrian safety, but also at playgrounds, in the classroom, when new teen drivers hit the road, and in other places where there are potential hazards.
Of course, even the most safety conscious person can fall victim to the negligence of another. When this is the case, turn to our Clearwater injury attorneys at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers to help you learn more about your legal rights and how you may be able to file a personal injury claim.
Contact the Personal Injury Law Firm Of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers To Get The Help You Deserve
If you need help with your injury case or you want to learn more information, please call the Personal Injury law firm of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers at (727) 787-2500 or visit the nearest location to schedule a free case evaluation today.
If you would prefer to email us, please visit our contact page.