Mark Roman | April 17, 2023 | Slip and Fall Accidents
Publix stores are typically safe places to shop for groceries and other household supplies. However, potential hazards could result in a slip and fall accident. If a customer slipped and fell in a Publix in Clearwater, they might be able to sue Publix if they sustain injuries and damages.
What Are Common Causes of Publix Slip and Fall Accidents In Clearwater, FL?
A slip and fall accident can happen for many reasons. Common causes of Publix slip and fall accidents include:
- Fallen objects on the floor
- Unstable, broken, or cracked flooring
- Slippery or wet floors
- Failing to clean up spills promptly
- Poor lighting
- Broken shopping carts
- Poorly maintained sidewalks and parking lots
- Failing to mark spills and wet floors
- Unsecured power cables and cords
- Failing to secure rugs on floors
- Overflowing toilets or sinks in bathrooms
Do not get up immediately if you slip and fall at a Publix store. Instead, ask someone to get a manager. You want to ensure that the manager knows that you fell.
Additionally, you could be more severely injured than you realize. Therefore, seeing a doctor immediately after a slip and fall accident is always good. While waiting for help, ask the people who saw you fall for their names and contact information.
If possible, take photographs of the areas, including the reason for your fall. The store should have a video of the fall, but you cannot trust that the video will not disappear before your attorney requests a copy of the film.
What Types of Injuries Can Occur Because of a Slip and Fall at a Publix in Clearwater?
A slip, trip, and fall can cause several injuries. Common injuries from slip and fall accidents in grocery stores include:
- Back injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Skull fractures
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Neck and shoulder injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Strains and sprains, especially in the ankles and wrists
- Facial injuries
- Bruises and lacerations
- Soft tissue injuries
You should see a doctor as soon as possible, even if you feel “okay” after a Publix slip and fall. Aches and pains could be an indication of a more serious injury. Also, pain and other symptoms could persist or increase in the days after the accident.
Creating a medical record is essential for linking the fall to your injuries. If you cannot prove the fall caused your injuries, you cannot recover compensation for damages.
What Do I Need To Prove To Win a Lawsuit Against Publix for a Slip and Fall Accident?
A Clearwater slip and fall accident lawyer can review your claim during a free consultation to determine your legal options. Typically, proving a slip and fall claim requires you to prove the following:
- The property owner owed you a duty of care. In this case, Publix owed its customers a duty of care to provide safe premises and warn of potential hazards.
- The property owner breached the duty of care through their conduct. The corporation could be liable for the negligence of its employees.
- The breach of duty was the direct and proximate cause of your injuries.
- You sustained damages because of the breach of duty.
Premises liability claims can be complicated. There could be one or more parties liable for your damages. A Clearwater premises liability lawyer investigates your injury at a Publix store to determine how the injury occurred and who is liable for your damages.
What Damages Could You Receive for a Slip and Fall at a Publix Store in Clearwater, FL?
- Medical bills and expenses
- Physical injuries, pain, and suffering
- Rehabilitation therapies and services
- Loss of income, wages, benefits, and earning capacity
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life and quality of life
- Impairments and disabilities
Various factors determine how much a Publix slip and fall claim is worth.
For example, if you were partially to blame for your fall, your damages might be reduced under Florida’s modified comparative negligence law. The amount you receive for your damages is reduced by your percentage of fault for causing your injury, and you cannot recover compensation if you were mostly to blame. If you were not at fault, however, you should be able to seek 100% of your losses and damages.
What Is the Deadline for Filing a Claim Against Publix for a Slip and Fall Accident?
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Florida was recently updated. You’ll have either two or four years to submit your claim, depending on when the slip and fall accident occurred.
However, you should act now instead of waiting to file a claim. Consulting a Clearwater personal injury lawyer as soon as possible is the best way to protect your right to fair compensation for your injuries.
Contact the Clearwater Slip and Fall Law Firm of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for Help Today
For more information, please contact the legal team of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for a free initial consultation with a slip and fall lawyer in Clearwater. We have five convenient locations in Florida: Clearwater, New Port Richey, and Tampa.
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – Clearwater Office
1811 N. Belcher Road, Suite I-1
Clearwater, FL 33765
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – Congress Ave Office
2360 Congress Avenue
Clearwater, FL 33763
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – Tampa Office
6601 Memorial Hwy Suite 202
Tampa, FL 33615
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – New Port Richey Office
2515 Seven Springs Blvd.
New Port Richey, FL, 34655