If you are hurt in a motor vehicle accident, the most important thing you can do is seek medical treatment. You need your injuries to be correctly identified and diagnosed so you can begin receiving the treatment you need. 

Chiropractic care may be able to alleviate pain and other symptoms of your injuries. An experienced lawyer from Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can review your situation and help you figure out what type of continuing care you need.  

What Do Chiropractors Do?

According to the Cleveland Clinic, chiropractors treat many conditions that affect the nervous system and musculoskeletal system. They treat musculoskeletal pain anywhere in the body, including in the:

  • Head
  • Jaws
  • Neck
  • Shoulders
  • Arms
  • Elbows
  • Wrists
  • Hands
  • Back
  • Hips
  • Pelvis
  • Knees
  • Legs
  • Ankles
  • Feet 

Most chiropractic work involves the back and spine.

Injuries Commonly Treated With Chiropractic Care

Chiropractic care can be useful in treating long-term conditions like osteoporosis and arthritis. It can also effectively treat injuries, such as:

It can be a treatment of choice for victims with whiplash.


Whiplash is one of the most common injuries people sustain in car accidents and can often be treated with chiropractic care. Whiplash is a medical condition that often occurs in auto accidents because of sudden acceleration and deceleration. When a vehicle is impacted, the neck and shoulders jolt forward. Then, they snap back into place. 

If you were involved in a car accident, look out for the following symptoms of whiplash:

  • Neck pain and stiffness
  • Soreness in the neck and back
  • Pain in the shoulder, lower back, arms, or shoulders
  • Numbness in the arms or hands
  • Tingling or burning
  • Dizziness
  • Blurred vision
  • Ringing in the ears
  • Chronic headaches
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea
  • Problems with memory or concentration
  • Depression

These symptoms may not be immediately apparent, so it is important to watch out for them in the days and weeks following the accident. 

Common Chiropractic Treatment 

Chiropractors recommend care based on their patient’s age, health, condition, treatment history, response to treatment, and other factors. Some common forms of chiropractic treatment include the following:

  • Adjustments to realign joints to increase range of motion and alleviate pain
  • Exercises to restore joint stability and mobility
  • Joint bracing to stabilize injured body parts and provide support while they heal
  • Soft-tissue therapy to relax tight muscles, release tension in the body’s fascia, and relieve muscle spasms
  • Integrative medicine to reduce inflammation and promote weight management

Chiropractors may use many different tools and adjustments during the course of treatment.

Do I Need Chiropractic Care If My Accident Was Minor?

Car accidents can often be deceiving. Just because a vehicle which is made of thousands of pounds of solid metal can withstand an impact does not mean the human body will have the same response. If you have symptoms that a chiropractor can help with or your treating doctor refers you to a chiropractor, you may prefer to see a chiropractor. 

When Should I See A Chiropractor?

The sooner you begin seeing a chiropractor, often the better. Receiving prompt medical treatment is important to help you recover medically. It can also connect the accident and your injuries. However, your first stop should be to the hospital or your doctor’s office so you can be properly diagnosed. Then, you can ask for a referral to a chiropractor. Your medical insurance may require you to get this referral before it agrees to pay for treatment. 

Many accident victims are able to begin chiropractic care within 72 hours of the accident. The chiropractor can give you a complete physical, take x-rays, and run diagnostic tests to confirm your injuries and begin creating a treatment plan. 

If you have any questions about seeking chiropractic care or other medical treatment after an accident, reach out to an experienced personal injury lawyer for help.

Contact the New Port Richey Car accident Law Firm of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for Help Today

For more information, please contact the legal team of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for a free initial consultation with a car accident lawyer in New Port Richey. We have four convenient locations in Florida: Clearwater, New Port Richey, and Tampa.

We serve throughout Pinellas County, Hillsborough County, Pasco County, and its surrounding areas:

Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – Clearwater Office
1811 N. Belcher Road, Suite I-1
Clearwater, FL 33765
(727) 787-2500

Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – Congress Ave Office
2360 Congress Avenue
Clearwater, FL 33763
(727) 591-5610

Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – Tampa Office
6601 Memorial Hwy Suite 202
Tampa, FL 33615
(813) 686-7588

Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – New Port Richey Office
2515 Seven Springs Blvd.
New Port Richey, FL, 34655
(727) 815-8442