Mark Roman | July 1, 2015 | Newsletter Article, Personal Injury
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers would like to wish everyone a Happy Fourth of July! If you have plans to enjoy the coming holiday weekend, our injury lawyers would like to remind all local residents that the Fourth of July is one of the more dangerous times of year. Whether you’ll be on vacation, enjoying a backyard BBQ, or spending time with friends and family – making safety a priority is crucial!
When it comes to Fourth of July, fireworks have become tradition. Although it’s difficult to imagine Independence Day without fireworks, they cause thousands of preventable injuries and ER visits during this time of year, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
While we encourage everyone to attend a fireworks show put on by professionals, we know that many across Florida choose to celebrate the Fourth with fireworks of their own. If you have plans to enjoy fireworks, we’ve put together some tips to help you do so safely.
- Where to light fireworks – Make sure fireworks are lit in a safe and open area outdoors – away from places where they can possibly harm others, land on flammable substances, or cause damages to vehicles or property. Also make sure what types of fireworks – if any – are legal in your community.
- Children – Fireworks festivities should always be carefully supervised – especially if children are around. Monitor kids closely and never allow small children to light or play with fireworks. After fireworks displays, children should never pick up fireworks, as they may still be active.
- Using fireworks safely – Light fireworks properly – being careful not to place any body part over the firework – and move back safety immediately after lighting. Do not attempt to pick up or light fireworks that have not ignited fully or did not go off the first time. Never point fireworks at another person
Other Tips for a Safe Holiday Weekend
- Drunk Driving – Fourth of July is notorious for being one of the most dangerous times of year on U.S. roads, largely due to the spike in drunk driving accidents, injuries, and deaths. Drink responsibly, designate a sober ride, or plan for a ride if you have plans to celebrate with drinks!
- Grilling safety – Grills and barbecues can be dangerous is not properly used. Make sure to use your charcoal or gas grill outdoors away from structures and flammable material. Always supervise the grill when in use and watch children closely.
- Swimming pool safety – Cooling off in the pool is a popular way to celebrate the holiday. If you’ll be near or around the water, make sure everyone – including children – has a good command of swimming skills. Floatation aids can help, but they are not a substitute for knowing how to swim. Additionally, make sure to keep a close eye on kids around pools, watch out for shallow diving, and know how to respond in case of an emergency.
Contact the Personal Injury Law Firm Of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers To Get The Help You Deserve
If you need help with your injury case or you want to learn more information, please call the Personal Injury law firm of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers at (727) 787-2500 or visit the nearest location to schedule a free case evaluation today.
We serve Pinellas County, Pasco County, Hillsborough County, and its surrounding areas:
If you would prefer to email us, please visit our contact page.