Mark Roman | July 1, 2015 | Personal Injury
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers would like to wish everyone a Happy Fourth of July! If you have plans to enjoy the coming holiday weekend, our injury lawyers would like to remind all local residents that the Fourth of July is one of the more dangerous times of year. Whether you’ll be on vacation, enjoying a backyard BBQ, or spending time with friends and family – making safety a priority is crucial!
When it comes to Fourth of July, fireworks have become tradition. Although it’s difficult to imagine Independence Day without fireworks, they cause thousands of preventable injuries and ER visits during this time of year, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
While we encourage everyone to attend a fireworks show put on by professionals, we know that many across Florida choose to celebrate the Fourth with fireworks of their own. If you have plans to enjoy fireworks, we’ve put together some tips to help you do so safely.
- Where to light fireworks – Make sure fireworks are lit in a safe and open area outdoors – away from places where they can possibly harm others, land on flammable substances, or cause damages to vehicles or property. Also make sure what types of fireworks – if any – are legal in your community.
- Children – Fireworks festivities should always be carefully supervised – especially if children are around. Monitor kids closely and never allow small children to light or play with fireworks. After fireworks displays, children should never pick up fireworks, as they may still be active.
- Using fireworks safely – Light fireworks properly – being careful not to place any body part over the firework – and move back safety immediately after lighting. Do not attempt to pick up or light fireworks that have not ignited fully or did not go off the first time. Never point fireworks at another person
Other Tips for a Safe Holiday Weekend
- Drunk Driving – Fourth of July is notorious for being one of the most dangerous times of year on U.S. roads, largely due to the spike in drunk driving accidents, injuries, and deaths. Drink responsibly, designate a sober ride, or plan for a ride if you have plans to celebrate with drinks!
- Grilling safety – Grills and barbecues can be dangerous is not properly used. Make sure to use your charcoal or gas grill outdoors away from structures and flammable material. Always supervise the grill when in use and watch children closely.
- Swimming pool safety – Cooling off in the pool is a popular way to celebrate the holiday. If you’ll be near or around the water, make sure everyone – including children – has a good command of swimming skills. Floatation aids can help, but they are not a substitute for knowing how to swim. Additionally, make sure to keep a close eye on kids around pools, watch out for shallow diving, and know how to respond in case of an emergency.
Contact the Clearwater Personal Injury Law Firm of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for Help Today
For more information, please contact the legal team of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for a free initial consultation with a personal injury lawyer in Clearwater. We have five convenient locations in Florida: Clearwater, New Port Richey, and Tampa.
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – Clearwater Office
1811 N. Belcher Road, Suite I-1
Clearwater, FL 33765
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – Congress Ave Office
2360 Congress Avenue
Clearwater, FL 33763
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – Tampa Office
6601 Memorial Hwy Suite 202
Tampa, FL 33615
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – New Port Richey Office
2515 Seven Springs Blvd.
New Port Richey, FL, 34655