Whether you’re interested in riding motorcycles for fun or your daily commute, the State of Florida has strict motorcycle licensing laws. 

Like in other states, you cannot legally ride a motorcycle in Florida without a special license, even if you already have a regular driver’s license. Because motorcycles are so different to operate and maneuver, you must get proper training and obtain a motorcycle-specific license or endorsement.

Whether you seek to acquire a motorcycle-only license or just an endorsement depends on whether you already have a driver’s license. But until you obtain either, you cannot legally ride motorcycles on Florida roads. 

Two Options for Motorcycle Licensing in Florida

Several states have different options concerning motorcycle licensing, and Florida is no different. In Florida, to legally operate a two- or three-wheeled motorbike with an engine over 50cc, you need either a motorcycle-only license or motorcycle endorsement on your driver’s license.

Motorcycle License

In Florida, you need to obtain a motorcycle license if you do not have any other type of driver’s license. 

A motorcycle license is also called a motorcycle-only license because it only legally permits you to operate motorcycles. You cannot drive cars or other types of vehicles solely with a motorcycle license. 

How To Get a Florida Motorcycle License

It is important to plan ahead if you wish to obtain a motorcycle license in Florida, as the process requires several steps. 

To get a motorcycle license in Florida, you need to be at least 16 years old and have a learner’s permit for at least a year with no traffic convictions — or, if you’re 18 or older, just have a learner’s license. 

Aside from getting a learner’s permit, you’ll also need to:

  • Pass an Exam: You must take and pass the same class E driver’s license exam
  • Take and Pass a Rider Course: Under Florida law, those who wish to acquire a motorcycle license must take and pass either Basic Rider Course (BRC) or Basic Rider Course updated (BRCu)

After meeting the above requirements, you can visit any Florida Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) with proof of course passage and required fees. 

Motorcycle Endorsement

If you already have a Florida driver’s license, you do not need a separate motorcycle license. Instead, you just need a motorcycle endorsement.

When a motorcycle endorsement is added to your license, it indicates to police and government officials that you’re legally allowed to operate a motorcycle.

How To Obtain a Motorcycle Endorsement on Your Florida License

To get a motorcycle endorsement, you must have a valid Class E Florida driver’s license. Additionally, you must take and pass a Basic Rider Course (BRC) or Basic Rider Course updated (BRCu). 

After passing your course, you can visit a Florida DMV and provide proof of passage and appropriate fees to get your endorsement. 

Motorcycle Registration and Insurance

Getting a motorcycle license is one of the most important steps to take before hitting the road on your bike. However, you must also register your motorcycle before you’re able to ride it.

Like cars, motorcycles must be registered with the DMV. Unlike many other states, Florida does not require proof of insurance to register your bike. Still, it is wise to consider getting insurance coverage in case of an unfortunate accident. 

For questions and concerns regarding registration and insurance, consult your local DMV.

Getting Help in the Event of a Motorcycle Accident

If you’re ever involved in a motorcycle accident, do not hesitate to seek legal help from a qualified and experienced motorcycle accident attorney. A lawyer can provide proper guidance and advice to help get you the best possible outcome for your situation. 

Contact the Motorcycle Accident Law Firm Of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers To Get The Help Your Deserve

If you need help with your injury case or you want to learn more information, please call the motorcycle accident law firm of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers at (727) 787-2500 or visit the nearest location to schedule a free case evaluation today.

If you would prefer to email us, please visit our contact page.