Mark Roman | November 21, 2017 | Personal Injury
The holiday season is upon us, which means the first official day of winter is fast approaching. Although Florida may not see as picturesque a change in season or weather as other states across the country, there are certainly seasonal trends that make the holiday and winter months a unique time of year. Unfortunately, many of those same trends also pose increased safety risks to the public – risks that you should know about.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we too see seasonal trends in the types of cases we handle. That’s why our Clearwater personal injury lawyers have taken the time to discuss a few of the most common accidents we see during the holidays and the winter, and to provide information about how you can take steps to protect you and your loved ones.
- Drunk Driving Accidents – Alcohol-related accidents are one of the most distinguishing aspects of the holiday season when it comes to personal injury. This is due largely to a number of holidays, more vacation time, and more cause for celebration – often with alcohol. As statistics make clear, holidays and the days and weeks surrounding them see a significant surge in drunk driving accidents, injuries, and deaths. Although law enforcement agencies typically increase their DUI enforcement efforts to combat the issue, it still bears reminding that there are real risks on the road during this time of year. As a driver, make the pledge to never get behind the wheel while impaired, and be extra vigilant when sharing the roads with others, especially at night, on weekends or holidays, and near locations where drinking may be prevalent. As a pedestrian or bicyclist, you can take steps to make yourself more visible, or stick to the sidewalks to be safe. Because even the most precautious individual can still suffer harm caused by an impaired driver, DUI victims have the right to take legal action.
- Slip & Fall Accidents – Slip and fall accidents are common during winter months, particularly in locations that see more rain, snow, and ice. In Florida, slip and fall accidents can also be caused by other seasonal trends, such as busier stores where staff fail to clean up spills or address slipping hazards. If you own a property or a business, do your part to keep the premises safe, and be on the lookout for hazards anywhere you go.
- Premises Liability – People have extra time during the holiday and winter season to get out and about. Crowded shopping malls, amusement parks, and bars or nightclubs can pose dangers, especially when premises owners and staff fail to address potential hazards they knew or should have known about. When victims are injured on another’s property – as a result of slip and fall accidents, negligent security, or other hazards – they may have a right to seek compensation by filing a premises liability claim.
- Auto Accidents – Although an increase in alcohol-related wrecks accounts for a substantial increase in auto accidents during the holidays and winter, car accidents still remain a risk for other reasons. These include wrecks caused by distracted drivers who may be more concerned with holiday events, wrecks caused by out-of-town motorists unfamiliar with local roads, truck accidents that stem from a busy holiday season, and accidents caused by drowsy drivers who have been busy during the holidays and dangerous behind the wheel due to a lack of sleep. Our legal team has extensive experience representing victims of car accidents and other traffic collisions.
- Product Injuries – The holidays can bring new toys for children and adults alike, as well as more time to enjoy those new products. When products are defectively designed or manufactured, however, they pose risks to consumers who use them as intended. Victims harmed by defective products may have the right to seek compensation through a personal injury claim against the responsible manufacturer or distributor who made those products available to the public.
As a firm that focuses exclusively on representing injured victims, catastrophically injured victims, and families who have lost loved ones due to wrongful death, we hope that everyone takes the time this holiday and winter season to make safety a priority. Because we know negligence can happen at any time, however, we make ourselves readily available to help victims and families take the appropriate steps in taking legal action and fighting for the compensation they deserve.
Contact the Personal Injury Law Firm Of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers To Get The Help You Deserve
If you need help with your injury case or you want to learn more information, please call the Personal Injury law firm of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers at (727) 787-2500 or visit the nearest location to schedule a free case evaluation today.
If you would prefer to email us, please visit our contact page.