Were you or a loved one severely injured in an accident in Clearwater, FL? You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. A Clearwater catastrophic injury lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can fight to protect your legal rights.
Our legal team has been helping clients like you for over 65 years. We’ve secured more than $100 million in compensation to help our clients get the medical treatment they deserve.
It can be tough to know what to do when your life has been turned upside down. You can trust our lawyers to help you fight for the money you deserve. Contact our law offices in Clearwater, Florida, today to schedule a free consultation today.
How Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After Suffering a Catastrophic Injury in Clearwater
Some injuries are so severe that a full recovery is impossible. If you’re facing lifelong challenges because someone else negligently injured you in Clearwater, FL, you shouldn’t have to carry the financial burden alone. Treating a catastrophic injury is expensive–and some victims are unable to return to their previous employment.
Unfortunately, it can be difficult to get the responsible parties to stand up and accept the blame.
You deserve to have an experienced Clearwater personal injury attorney by your side. When you hire Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, you’ll have over 75 years of experience in your corner.
That means an attorney who will:
- Launch a full investigation to locate all evidence needed to support your personal injury claim
- Fight back if the insurance company tries to use Florida’s comparative fault rules to reduce your settlement
- Hire experts in medicine, finance, psychology, and other relevant specialties
- Handle all negotiations with the insurance companies and defense lawyers
- Take your case to court if the at-fault party or their insurance company won’t offer you a fair settlement
Your family has just been dealt an unimaginable blow–and you’ll have a long road to recovery ahead of you. Call a Clearwater personal injury attorney to help you fight for justice.
How Common Are Catastrophic Injuries?
Florida is no exception. The Florida Department of Health reports that unintentional injuries are the leading cause of death for residents between ages one and 44. Florida’s death rates are among the highest in the nation when it comes to motor vehicle accidents, drowning, pedestrian accidents, and bicycle accidents.
Thousands more survive these accidents only to suffer permanent, catastrophic injuries.
Overview of Catastrophic Injuries
There is no precise definition of the term “catastrophic injury.” In legal terms, a catastrophic injury often leaves the victim permanently unable to work.
An injury might be classified as catastrophic if it is:
- Serious and causes head or neck trauma
- Not fatal but results in permanent and severe functional disability
The one common element in any catastrophic injury case? The injury will significantly change your daily life.
Types of Catastrophic Injury
Any type of injury can be catastrophic if it’s severe enough.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of catastrophic injury claims, including those involving:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Severe spinal cord damage
- Severe burn injuries
- Hearing loss
- Internal organ damage
- Chest injuries
Catastrophic injuries can be physical, mental, or both. If you or a loved one have sustained a catastrophic injury in Clearwater, call our law offices to schedule a free case review today.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of a Catastrophic Injury?
Catastrophic injuries are often obvious from the moment an accident happens. In other cases, it can take time for the injury to manifest itself. The symptoms of a catastrophic injury will depend upon the nature of the injury itself.
Brain injuries can be some of the most difficult to detect.
You should seek medical attention right away if you experience:
- Loss of consciousness
- Memory loss
- Nausea or vomiting
- Difficulty speaking
- Blurred vision
Brain issues can cause permanent physical and cognitive impairments. The sooner your doctor detects and treats the injury, the better your chances of avoiding permanent damage.
Spinal Cord Injuries
The spinal cord is responsible for relaying messages from the brain throughout the body.
Potential signs of a spinal cord injury include:
- Loss of motor function
- Tingling in the extremities
- Loss of bladder or bowel function
- Extreme pain
- Difficulty breathing or coughing
- Exaggerated reflex activities
The most serious spinal cord injuries can result in permanent paralysis.
Serious burn injuries have the potential to be fatal. Numbness, skin that appears leathery in appearance, or visible bone/tissue damage are all signs of a third or fourth-degree burn injury.
What are the Long-Term Consequences of Catastrophic Injuries?
Catastrophic injuries always have the potential to be fatal.
Depending on the nature of the injury, some long-term consequences of a catastrophic injury include:
- The need for a lifetime of medical care
- Assistance with the basic activities of daily living, including bathing, eating, and moving
- Permanent loss of a critical bodily function
- Permanent need for a wheelchair, prosthetic limb, or other medical devices
- Life-long medication dependency
- Permanent loss of your ability to earn a living
- Depression and other psychological conditions
- Ancillary medical conditions, such as difficulty breathing, infection, and sepsis
It can be difficult to wrap your mind around the damage your injury may cause. The financial costs alone can be astronomical.
What Causes Catastrophic Injuries?
Any type of unexpected accident can leave you suffering permanent injuries.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of catastrophic injury claims in Clearwater, including those involving:
- Car accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bus accidents
- Uber or Lyft accidents
- Boating accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Assault and violence
To hold negligent parties accountable for their role in your accident, you first have to know the cause. We know that it can be difficult to find out what happened when you’re lying in a hospital bed.
Don’t let your injuries stand in the way of getting what’s fair. Call our Clearwater catastrophic injury attorneys for a free case review today.
What is My Clearwater Catastrophic Injury Case Worth?
Before taking any action, you should speak with a personal injury lawyer who can help you understand how much your personal injury case is worth.
The answer will depend upon a number of factors, including:
- Your past medical expenses
- The cost of your anticipated future medical care
- The cost of any specialized rehabilitation or long-term care
- The amount of your lost wages
- Whether you can return to work
- The emotional toll the injury has taken on your family
Too many accident victims make the mistake of accepting the first offer the insurance company puts on the table. Accepting a lowball offer not only lets the insurance company off the hook–it could leave you with unpaid future medical bills.
What Types of Compensation Can I Recover for My Catastrophic Injury in Clearwater, Florida?
Compensatory damages in a personal injury case are classified as economic or non-economic damages. If you suffered a catastrophic injury, our lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will help you fight for both.
Victims are entitled to economic damages for:
- Ongoing medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning capacity
- Nursing care
- Long-term care
- Medications and medical devices
- Home modifications
- And more
You’re also entitled to be compensated for your more subjective losses, which are called non-economic damages.
These damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of independence
- Loss of consortium
Expect the insurance company to have strong opinions about what your case is worth–but also remember that the insurance adjusters are hired to pay less than you deserve. Our lawyers have spent decades developing relationships with experts who can testify about the fair value of your case. We’ll use their insight to fight for the maximum compensation available.
How Long Do I Have to File a Catastrophic Injury Lawsuit in Florida?
Personal injury victims can lose their right to compensation if they wait too long. The deadline for taking legal action under Florida state law depends on the type of lawsuit you’re filing.
In the state of Florida, most accident victims have four years to file a personal injury lawsuit. Victims of medical malpractice usually have two years from the date they discover their injuries to sue for damages. If the injury turns out to be fatal, surviving family members have two years from the date of death to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
The bottom line? You shouldn’t waste any time getting legal help. Our accident attorneys are available to get started, so give us a call to learn more about our practice areas.
Contact a Clearwater Catastrophic Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
An experienced Clearwater catastrophic injury lawyer can help you fight to recover the fair compensation you deserve. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ve been serving Clearwater for decades. Remember, your initial consultation is always 100% free. Don’t hesitate to call our attorneys today to get the legal advice you need today.
Our personal injury law firm in Clearwater also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Car accident lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Slip And Fall Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in Clearwater, FL