Have you been diagnosed with mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos in Clearwater, Florida? You may be entitled to significant compensation, but recovering fair compensation isn’t automatic. An experienced Clearwater mesothelioma & asbestos lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost earnings, and your pain and suffering.
Our lawyers have over 50 years of experience fighting to protect injured clients like you. Over the years, we’ve recovered over $120 million in settlements and verdicts. Our practice areas include medical malpractice cases, Clearwater negligent security, slip and fall accidents, truck accidents, Clearwater workplace accidents, and more.
How Can Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers Help if I Contracted Mesothelioma Due to Asbestos Exposure in Clearwater, FL?
It’s well-established that people who were exposed to asbestos in the workplace, schools, during military service, or otherwise are entitled to compensation if they develop mesothelioma. However, the companies responsible won’t simply hand over the money you deserve. In fact, they hire teams of defense lawyers who are paid solely to fight your claim.
You deserve to have an experienced Clearwater personal injury lawyer in your corner.
Our lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers are listed in Super Lawyers and Tampa Bay’s Top Trial Lawyers. We’re also members of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
When you hire us, you can count on our mesothelioma attorneys to:
- Gather evidence to support your claim
- Identify all parties who were responsible for your asbestos exposure
- Obtain and analyze your medical records
- Hire experts who can help strengthen your claim
- Determine how much your personal injury case is worth
- Identify your damages and negotiate for the maximum compensation you deserve
It’s not your fault that you developed mesothelioma. Your family shouldn’t have to suffer the financial consequences. To learn how our Clearwater personal injury attorneys can fight for you, call our law group for a free consultation today.
What Is Mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma is a type of aggressive and rare cancer. It occurs in the thin layer of tissue that covers the body’s internal organs, called the mesothelium lining.
The only definitive cause of mesothelioma is exposure to asbestos. Asbestos is a type of naturally-occurring fibrous mineral that can create dust or powder. When inhaled, asbestos can settle into the mesothelium lining, most often in the lungs, heart, and abdomen. That can cause inflammation and scarring and, later, growth of mesothelioma tumors.
Prolonged asbestos exposure is unfortunately common, because asbestos was once used in many products, including:
- Insulation for pipes
- Floor tiles and flooring felt
- Building materials, including drywall and ceiling insulation
- Roofing materials
- Lawn furniture
- Vehicle brakes and clutches
- Household items, including crock pots and hair dryers
- Corrugated or commercial paper
Most asbestos use was banned in the United States by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 1989. However, that ban only applied to initial use of asbestos. As such, asbestos-based products remained in many buildings despite the ban–allowing many Americans to be exposed to the dangerous materials.
Unfortunately, mesothelioma is not curable for most patients. It’s also come to light that many of the large corporations that profited from the asbestos industry knew about the risk of developing lung cancer. If you or a family member were diagnosed with mesothelioma, it’s very likely that it’s because you were exposed to asbestos for a prolonged period of time–and you deserve to be compensated by the companies that allowed that to happen.
Contact our asbestos and mesothelioma lawyers in Clearwater to learn more about this area of law.
Our Attorneys Handle all Types of Mesothelioma Cases in Clearwater, FL
There are multiple types of mesothelioma. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of mesothelioma cases, including those involving:
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Pericardial mesothelioma
- Peritoneal mesothelioma
You may deserve compensation regardless of the type of mesothelioma you have developed. To learn more about your legal rights after a diagnosis, call our Clearwater mesothelioma & asbestos lawyers today.
Pleural mesothelioma is by far the most common type of mesothelioma. About 80% of all documented asbestos-related cancer cases involve pleural mesothelioma.
Pleural mesothelioma occurs when asbestos fibers are trapped within the inner and outer layers of the lungs.
In a healthy lung, a small amount of fluid is produced within these layers to provide lubrication during breathing. Cancer within these layers causes abnormal cell division. Over time, this increased cell division increases the size of both of these layers–and also increases the amount of fluid contained between the layers. This is called pleural effusion.
There are three types of pleural mesothelioma:
- Epithelioid mesothelioma (this is the most common type of pleural mesothelioma)
- Sarcomatoid mesothelioma
- Biphasic mesothelioma
Without treatment, the life expectancy of an individual diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma is about six months. Even with treatment, most patients don’t survive more than four years. However, the type of pleural mesothelioma involved will determine your prognosis and treatment options.
Peritoneal mesothelioma develops in the cells surrounding the abdomen. Similarly, the increased cell development caused by trapped asbestos fibers causes fluid build-up between the layers of the mesothelium. That causes pressure on the internal organs.
Pericardial mesothelioma develops in the lining of the heart, causing fluid to build up and the development of cancerous tumors.
It is one of the most rare forms of mesothelioma. As such, it is often diagnosed late, meaning that the patients’ prognosis is worse than in cases involving more common types of the disease.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Mesothelioma?
The signs and symptoms of mesothelioma depend on the type of cancer that develops.
Pleural mesothelioma symptoms include:
- A dry cough
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pains or pain when breathing
- Night sweats
- Coughing up blood
- Lumps in the chest area
Some signs of peritoneal mesothelioma include:
- Persistent abdominal pain
- Enlarged or tender abdomen
- Nausea or vomiting
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Changes in bowel movements
- Lumps in the abdominal region
Signs and symptoms of pericardial mesothelioma include:
- Chest pains
- A cough or shortness of breath
- Heart murmurs
- Irregular heartbeat or palpitations
It’s important to seek medical treatment immediately if you notice any of these signs. Without prompt care, your condition could worsen, and helpful treatment options may become unavailable.
How Do I Prove My Mesothelioma Was Caused by Asbestos Exposure?
Prolonged exposure to asbestos is the only known way to develop mesothelioma. Still, you must prove a few different things before you can recover compensation from the responsible parties.
Our lawyers will work to help you prove:
- The specific location where the asbestos exposure occurred
- The business that was responsible for the exposure
- The time frame during which the exposure took place
It’s already well-established that asbestos is a dangerous carcinogen. Because of that, you won’t have to prove that the at-fault party was negligent to recover damages.
On the other hand, proving the elements of an asbestos case can be difficult. Most of the time, the asbestos exposure occurred decades ago. In the intervening years, businesses have changed hands, and many have completely removed all asbestos products from the buildings in question. It can also be tough to locate witnesses who can testify on your behalf.
Our lawyers are up to the challenge. We have decades of experience helping clients like you–and we’re well-prepared to go to battle in your case. Just call our law firm to get started today.
What Types of Damages Can I Recover in a Successful Mesothelioma Case?
Recovering compensation can never restore your health. However, it can protect your financial security while you cope with the harm you have suffered.
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and diminished earning potential
- Nursing care
- In-home assistance
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Reduced life expectancy
- Severe depression or anxiety
- Loss of consortium
Our lawyers can help you document your losses and prove that they were directly related to asbestos exposure.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit if I Contracted Mesothelioma Due to Asbestos Exposure in Florida?
In most typical personal injury cases, the statute of limitations in Florida is two years (as of March 24, 2023 – prior to this date, the deadline was four years). For car accident and slip and fall victims, that means they must file a lawsuit within two years of the accident or forfeit their right to compensation.
Cases involving lung disease caused by asbestos exposure are different. Most cases of mesothelioma don’t manifest for decades after the exposure occurred. Because of that, the statute of limitations does not start to run until you know about the injury you have suffered.
Call a Clearwater Mesothelioma & Asbestos Lawyer for a Free Initial Consultation Today
Do you have questions about your legal rights after a mesothelioma diagnosis in Clearwater? Contact Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for a free initial consultation today. With an experienced Clearwater mesothelioma & asbestos lawyer by your side, you’ll greatly increase your odds of recovering fair compensation for the devastating losses your family has suffered.
Our personal injury law firm in Clearwater also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Aviation/Airplane Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Birth Injury Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Catastrophic Injuries Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Drowning Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Hurricane Insurance Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Maritime Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Sexual Assault Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Slip And Fall Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Clearwater, FL