Call an experienced Clearwater construction accident lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers to learn more about protecting your legal rights. We’ve decades of experience handling all types of cases, including workers’ compensation, Clearwater workplace accidents, Clearwater wrongful death, truck accidents, negligent security, and more.
Your initial consultation in our Clearwater office is free, so there’s no risk in getting the legal advice you need. Contact us at (727) 787-2500.
Why Should I Hire a Clearwater Personal Injury Attorney if I Was Hurt in a Construction Accident?
It can be difficult to navigate the legal system while you’re recovering from serious injuries. Even a seemingly basic workers’ compensation claim can quickly become complex. Your employer or the insurance company might decide to challenge your claim for any number of reasons.
If they don’t? You might still be leaving money on the table. Someone other than your employer might have caused the accident. That means you could have the right to sue for damages like pain and suffering and the full amount of your lost wages.
An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you understand the full extent of your legal rights.
When you hire Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers will:
- Conduct a full investigation to identify all responsible parties
- Determine the types of injury claims available to help you recover the most compensation possible
- Manage all communications with the insurance companies and defense lawyers
- Fight back when someone tries to challenge your need for medical care or force you to return to work before you’re ready
- Complete all of the paperwork necessary to establish your claim
- Advocate fiercely on your behalf to maximize your compensation award on all fronts
Workers who are injured in the workplace often have multiple options for recovering compensation. It can be hard to successfully manage those options on your own.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our work accident attorneys have more than 60 years of combined experience. We’ve proven our abilities by recovering over $100 million for satisfied clients over the years. To learn more about how we can use our skills to your advantage, call for a free case review today.
Construction Statistics: Understanding the Dangers
As of May 2019, the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimated that over 400,000 Floridians worked in the construction industry. Every day, these hardworking people put their safety in jeopardy. In 2018, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) data estimates that over 1,000 construction workers died on the job.
Common Causes of Construction Accidents in Clearwater, FL
OSHA reports that the so-called “fatal four” accident types account for the vast majority of all construction-related deaths. Those include:
- Struck by objects
- Caught between objects
Detailed safety regulations exist to prevent these and other accident types. Still, construction accidents happen nearly every day. Some of the most common causes of construction accidents in Clearwater include:
- Safety violations
- Lack of proper protective gear
- Lack of communication
- Failure to properly train workers
- Defective equipment, tools, and machinery
- Improperly installed scaffolding
- Lack of fall protection
Were you hurt in a construction accident? Our Board Certified civil litigation specialists in Clearwater will get to the bottom of what happened. We’ll fight to win the full financial recovery you deserve.
We Handle All Clearwater Construction Accident Cases
Our lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers have been serving Clearwater, Florida accident victims for over 60 years. No construction accident case is too complex for our legal team.
We handle all types of Clearwater construction accident cases, including:
- Crane accidents
- Unsafe work equipment
- Ladder and roof falls
- Scaffolding accidents
- Forklift accidents
- Exposure to toxic chemicals
- Electrocution and electric shock accidents
- Injuries caused by heavy lifting
- Welding accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
If you were hurt on the job, we’re here to get the facts straight. For more information about your options, all you have to do is call and give us some general information about your accident.
Who’s Responsible for Paying Damages After a Construction Accident?
When you hire our Clearwater construction accident attorneys at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, you can expect us to immediately launch a full-scale investigation into your accident. It’s the only way to identify every potentially responsible party–and get the full compensation you deserve.
We put the full weight of our experience and resources into these investigations. Finding out who and what caused your accident is key to getting fair compensation from every available source.
Potentially responsible parties may include:
- The construction site property owner
- The general contractor
- Equipment manufacturers
- Inspection companies
- Your employer
You can’t sue your employer for damages under Florida workers’ compensation laws. You can file a personal injury lawsuit against any other third party who contributed to the cause of your accident.
Do I Have Grounds to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
To file a personal injury lawsuit, we have to prove that a third party was negligent. Our personal injury attorneys will provide evidence to convince a judge and jury that the third party:
- Owed you a duty of care
- Made a mistake that breached that duty of care
- Caused your construction accident
- Caused you to suffer damages
You might not know whether you have grounds to file a third-party claim. It never hurts to discuss your case with an experienced personal injury attorney. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we offer a free initial consultation to all accident victims. Don’t hesitate to reach out and schedule yours.
Common Injuries in Florida Construction Accidents
According to OSHA, construction workers account for over 20% of all workplace deaths. Construction accident victims can also sustain serious and life-threatening injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Eye injuries
- Hearing damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Severe burns
- Loss of limbs
- Internal injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Chest injuries
- Broken bones
- Crush injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death
Our primary goal is to make sure you get every dollar you deserve for these potentially life-changing injuries. If you or a loved one were injured on a construction worksite, don’t hesitate to call for more information about your legal rights.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Construction Accident Victims in Clearwater?
Damages in a construction accident case depend upon whether you have grounds to file a personal injury lawsuit. Injured construction employees are always eligible to claim workers’ compensation benefits.
Our Clearwater personal injury attorneys are here to help you understand how the workers’ compensation rules might impact your right to compensation.
Workers’ Compensation in Florida
You can file a claim for workers’ compensation even if you caused the accident yourself. In other words, you don’t have to prove that someone else was negligent. Workers’ compensation in Florida will pay for:
- All medical bills
- Temporary disability
- Permanent disability
- Death benefits
Your cash wage replacement benefits are equal to 66 ⅔ of your average weekly wages. Complex timing rules apply so that you only receive benefits for your first seven days of disability if you’re out of work for at least 21 days.
Our lawyers can provide more details about how workers’ compensation will apply in your specific case. Call our law offices today to tell us what happened.
A third-party claim allows you to recover all of the compensation that’s typically available to personal injury victims. If we can prove that a third party’s negligence caused your accident, you might be entitled to money for:
- All current and future medical expenses
- Your full lost wages
- Lost future earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- Rehabilitative care
- Long-term care
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and PTSD
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Damages for wrongful death of a loved one
Workers’ compensation isn’t always enough. Call our lawyers today to find out whether you have grounds to file a personal injury claim for the full damages caused by the accident.
Statute of Limitations in Florida Construction Accident Cases
The Florida statute of limitations gives you two years to file a third-party claim after a construction accident. This deadline used to be four years. However, Florida law was revised on March 24, 2023, giving accident victims less time to take action. If your construction accident happened after 3/24/23, you’re subject to the two-year limit.
To protect your right to workers’ compensation, you have to provide notice of the accident and injury within 30 days.
What if the Accident Was My Fault?
Full workers’ compensation benefits are available even if you caused the work accident.
However, your damages award in a third-party claim might be reduced or eliminated to account for your share of blame under Florida’s modified comparative fault rule. You lose your right to compensation entirely if your share of fault exceeds 50%.
For example, if you are found to be 50% at-fault, you can walk away with half of your compensation award. If you are 51% at fault, you’ll walk away with nothing.
Remember, you don’t have to accept the insurance company’s word when they try to blame you for the accident. Having your own personal injury lawyer can help you fight back. We’ll do everything we can to minimize your role in the accident so that you can receive the most compensation possible.
Contact an Experienced Clearwater Construction Accident Lawyer to Discuss Your Injury Claim Today
If you’re struggling with an injury after a construction accident, it never hurts to reach out for legal help. An experienced Clearwater construction accident lawyer can make a world of difference when you’re worried about your financial future. Call Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule your 100% free consultation today.
Our Clearwater, FL personal injury law firm also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Aviation/Airplane Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Birth Injury Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Catastrophic Injuries Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Drowning Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Hurricane Insurance Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Maritime Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Mesothelioma & Asbestos Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Sexual Assault Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Slip And Fall Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Clearwater, FL