Were you involved in an accident with an Uber ride-sharing vehicle in Clearwater, Florida? Clearwater Uber accident lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will fight to get the full compensation you deserve. Call us today at (727) 787-2500. We offer a free initial consultation.
As an Uber passenger, pedestrian, or someone in another vehicle, you may be entitled to money from the at-fault driver for your injuries.
Our lawyers have over 50 years of experience advocating for injured victims in all types of cases involving Lyft accidents, Clearwatertaxi accidents, electric scooter accidents, bicycle accidents, Clearwater bus accidents, and more.
How Our Clearwater Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help with Your Uber Accident Case
Did you trust an Uber driver to get you around town or back home safely only to be involved in a crash? Or were you struck by a distracted Uber driver?
A rideshare accident can affect you for the rest of your life, but recovering compensation is not always easy, no matter how clear-cut liability may seem in your case.
Insurance coverage for Uber drivers is notoriously complex with coverage limits that depend on the driver’s rideshare status.
There are also at least two insurance companies involved: the driver’s and Uber’s policy. This makes recovering compensation difficult enough, but Uber does not classify drivers as employees which can complicate your case if the Uber driver was negligent.
When you are left with serious injuries in an accident, you should be focused on getting better, not fighting with insurance companies for the money you need. A personal injury lawyer in Clearwater can be invaluable in advocating for you and fighting for the compensation you deserve.
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers is an AV-rated law firm with two Board Certified Civil Trial attorneys. We have more than six decades of combined experience and have earned national recognition for our track record which has included over $100 million in compensation recovered for our clients.
Count on a Clearwater Uber accident attorney at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers to:
- Perform a careful and independent investigation into your accident
- Offer legal advice and guidance at every step
- Identify potentially liable parties in your accident
- Work with experts to prove causation and liability
- Negotiate a settlement on your behalf and handle communications with the insurance
- Take your case to court if a reasonable settlement is not reached
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers is not afraid to take your case before a jury to fight for the maximum compensation you are entitled to. Contact our law office to schedule a free consultation so we can help you hold the responsible party accountable.
How Common Are Uber and Lyft Accidents?
Statistics on Uber and other rideshare automobile accidents are not easy to find. Not only are rideshare services fairly new and not tracked at a federal level, but rideshare companies also do not openly disclose the number of claims involving their drivers.
A recent study did shed light on the impact of rideshare services, however. The study, which used data from the NHTSA’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System and Crash Stats found the rate of fatal accidents increased 2% to 4% every year in U.S. cities after rideshare companies began operating.
The study attributed this to an increase in the number of vehicles on city streets but cautioned it may cancel the benefit of reducing drunk driving.
In a recent U.S. Safety Report released by Uber, the rideshare giant showed an overall auto accident rate per mile about half that of the national average. 49 Uber-related fatalities were reported in 2017 over 8.2 billion miles driven. However, the report did not mention non-fatal accidents.
Uber also defines an “Uber-related” fatal crash as when a driver is in an accident while picking up a rider or with a passenger in the vehicle. This does not include car crashes while cruising and waiting for a rider.
Common Causes of Uber Accidents in Clearwater, FL
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our Clearwater personal injury attorneys represent Uber accident victims in all types of rideshare accidents including:
Millions of consumers rely on ridesharing services for a safe and convenient transportation option. You may turn to Uber to avoid driving after a night of drinking, as an easier alternative to public transportation, or to explore a new city without a car.
However, Uber rides are not always safe. Uber drivers do not receive special training and the background check and driving record check still allows people to slip through who should not be driving passengers.
Uber drivers are also prone to the same types of negligent behaviors as other drivers. An Uber driver or another driver can cause a rideshare accident. Some of the most common causes of Uber crashes in Florida include:
- Drowsy driving, especially for drivers who have been online seeking rides for a long period of time.
- Drunk driving
- Running a stop sign or red light
- Failing to yield
- Dangerous left-hand turns
An Uber driver may be liable for an accident in many scenarios. They may be rushing to pick up a passenger, spending too long on the road with no regulations on breaks, or engaging in other risky driving behaviors. However, it is certainly not always the Uber driver who is at fault for a crash.
If you are hurt in a car accident involving an Uber, be sure to seek medical treatment as soon as you can. Getting prompt medical care is important for your health as well as the strength of any future injury claims you decide to pursue.
Understanding Liability & Uber Insurance Coverage in Florida
An important factor that makes rideshare accident cases so complicated is the way insurance coverage works. This is particularly tricky in cases in which the Uber driver is at fault for the collision.
Florida’s “Uber/Lyft Bill,” passed in 2017, requires Uber drivers to have increased minimum insurance limits of $25,000 for property damage, $50,000 for death and bodily injury per person, and $100,000 per accident.
Minimum personal injury protection (PIP) coverage is also required.Uber is also required to carry insurance for its drivers.
The Uber insurance policy provides up to $1 million in liability coverage that may be available to you, but only in specific scenarios and it is always secondary to the Uber driver’s insurance policy.
When the Uber driver is at fault, a claim must first be made against their insurance company. Uber’s insurance policy only kicks in if there was insufficient coverage. Uber’s insurance coverage only covers the Uber driver when they are online on the Uber app and have a passenger.
Otherwise, much lower liability limits are generally in effect.This doesn’t just make it difficult to understand how much insurance coverage is available for your damages, it also makes it harder to recover compensation.
You may be dealing with at least two insurance companies, but the number of insurance companies can increase if other parties are found at fault. It’s very common for the insurance companies to deny liability and try to shift blame to someone else, especially when an Uber driver is at fault.
Because these cases involve complex liability rules and multiple insurance policies, it’s important to consult with an experienced Uber accident lawyer in Clearwater, FL before you file a claim. Contact our car accident lawyers as soon as possible to investigate your case and gather clear evidence of liability.
What Compensation Is Available After a Clearwater Uber Accident?
When you are injured in an Uber car accident, you have the right to hold the responsible party accountable for the damages you have suffered. Whether it is the Uber driver, another driver, or multiple parties at fault, you may be entitled to many forms of damages.
There are two basic types of compensation you can recover in a personal injury lawsuit in Florida: economic damages for items with an intrinsic value and non-economic damages. The latter refers to damages like the pain you suffered in the crash, depression or PTSD from your collision and injuries, or your reduced quality of life afterward.
The Clearwater Uber accident lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will fight for maximum compensation and help you pursue damages such as:
- Medical bills. This includes everything from emergency treatment, hospitalization, and surgery to home health care, physical therapy, and prescription medication. Your lawyer will work with medical experts to calculate your anticipated future medical expenses as well.
- Property damage
- Lost wages for time off work while recovering
- Reduced or lost earning capacity if your accident left you disabled
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If a loved one was killed in an Uber accident, you may be entitled to damages through a wrongful death lawsuit. This type of claim allows you to seek compensation for damages like loss of support and services, loss of companionship, and pain and suffering.
Contact Our Clearwater Uber Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
You do not need to fight with insurance companies or go through the complicated injury claims process on your own.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we will put our decades of experience to work for you to seek maximum compensation for the injuries you have suffered and hold the responsible party accountable. Contact Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers today to schedule a free case review with an experienced Clearwater Uber accident lawyer who can help you.
Our personal injury law firm in Clearwater also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Aviation/Airplane Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Birth Injury Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Catastrophic Injuries Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Drowning Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Hurricane Insurance Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Maritime Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Mesothelioma & Asbestos Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Sexual Assault Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Slip And Fall Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Clearwater, FL