If you suspect your insurance company wrongfully denied your claim, you may be entitled to file a lawsuit for damages. Insurance companies in Clearwater, Florida, are subject to strict regulations. An experienced Clearwater bad faith insurance lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for your losses.
Our lawyers have over 50 years of combined experience protecting clients like you. In that time, we’ve recovered over $100 million in settlements and verdicts for clients involved in all types of cases, including Clearwater medical malpractice cases, electric scooter accidents, negligent security, Clearwater premises liability, dog bite cases, and more.
How Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With a Bad Faith Insurance Claim in Clearwater
You count on your insurance company to come through when you need help the most. When they don’t, the harm you suffer can be serious. When insurance companies deny or undervalue claims in bad faith, the victim is entitled to seek compensation.
You don’t have to rely on a lawyer directory to get the fair compensation you need. Our Clearwater injury lawyer can help you get every dollar you deserve.
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers is an award-winning law firm in Clearwater. Our founding attorney is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law. We’ve been recognized with a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating and listed as Tampa Bay’s Top Trial Lawyers.
To prove your case, our lawyers will:
- Help you understand your legal rights and options
- Investigate and gather evidence to prove the insurance company acted without justification
- Calculate the fair value of your damages
- Consult leading experts to support your claim
- Negotiate with the insurance companies and defense lawyers on your behalf
The insurance company doesn’t want you to call our law group. You don’t have to let them off the hook. Instead, call our Clearwater attorneys to get the help you deserve.
Overview of Bad Faith Insurance Laws in Florida
Insurance companies in Florida are strictly regulated. As long as you pay your premiums on time, the insurance company is supposed to pay when you submit a claim for a covered risk. The insurance company can only deny your claim if they have a legitimate reason.
If the insurance company tries to ignore your questions, delay your payment or deny your claim without justification, they may be acting in bad faith.
If you suspect that the insurance company is acting in bad faith, get legal help right away. With a lawyer’s help, you may be able to recover damages to cover your losses.
How Do I Know Whether I Have a Valid Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuit?
The Florida Unfair Insurance Trade Practices Act provides the rules on bad faith insurance claims.
You may have a valid bad faith insurance practices lawsuit if your insurance carrier:
- Misrepresents the benefits of the insurance policy
- Fails to investigate your claim in a timely manner
- Makes misrepresentations to coerce you into accepting a lowball settlement
- Is misleading about the financial condition of the insurance company
- Discriminates against a certain class of people when issuing a life insurance policy
- Fails to answer questions or communicate about your claim in a timely manner
- Denies your claim without justification or explanation
- Denies your claim after failing to investigate the circumstances of your claim
- Reduces the value of your claim without providing a legitimate explanation
- Engages in tactics to delay your payment
- Performs an ineffective investigation
- Pressures you to not seek a lawyer’s advice
- Requests unnecessary documentation or information in an attempt to delay your payment
- Tried to conceal contact information to make it difficult to ask questions or file a claim
It can be tough to tell whether the insurance company is acting in good faith or giving you the runaround. If the insurance company isn’t answering your calls or flat-out denies your claim without explanation, we can help. Our Clearwater bad faith insurance attorneys deal with insurance companies every day.
If you have questions about your legal options, don’t hesitate to call our team at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for a free initial consultation today.
Can the Insurance Company Ever Deny My Insurance Claim in Good Faith?
Insurance companies aren’t required to blindly pay every claim that’s filed.
For example, your insurer may have a legitimate reason to deny your claim if:
- The risk isn’t covered under the policy
- You missed the deadline for filing the claim
- You failed to pay your premiums on time
- There was a dispute about who is legally responsible for paying the claim
- In the health insurance context, the procedure was not necessary or was experimental
- You failed to provide all information the insurance company requests
Of course, the insurance company should provide an explanation when they deny your claim. If the insurance company didn’t provide any reason for the claim denial, they may be trying to delay your payment in bad faith.
What Is My Clearwater Bad Faith Insurance Case Worth?
Your case value depends on many different factors, including:
- Any additional damage to your property caused by the delayed payment
- The time you’ve wasted trying to get the insurance company to reply
- Whether your health was impacted
- Your emotional distress and suffering
- The nature of the insurance company’s behavior
Our lawyers can assess your case value during your free consultation. For more information, give us a quick call today.
What Types of Damages Are Available To Victims of Bad Faith Insurance Practices?
When your insurance claim is denied, you might suffer significant damages. Your expenses are likely to add up before you can prove the insurance company was acting in bad faith.
Victims of bad faith insurance practices are entitled to seek compensation for all of their financial costs and expenses.
Those economic damages may include:
- Interest charges if you paid the costs yourself
- Additional property damage incurred because of delayed repairs
- Your lost wages if you missed work because of the issue
- Attorney’s fees and court costs
- Any out-of-pocket costs or incidental expenses
Depending on the circumstances, you may also be entitled to seek compensation for your non-economic damages, including:
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Damage to your health or wellbeing
- Inconvenience or embarrassment
Some types of damages are easy to prove. Others can be much more difficult to establish. Our bad faith lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers are here to help in any way we can. Just give us a quick call to schedule your free case evaluation today.
Our Lawyers Handle All Types of Bad Faith Claims in Clearwater
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of bad faith insurance claims in Clearwater, including those involving:
- Car insurance
- Personal injury protection (PIP) coverage
- Commercial insurance
- Property insurance
- Homeowners insurance
- Flood insurance
- Wind insurance
- Hurricane insurance
- Renters insurance
- Fire insurance
- Business liability insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Professional liability insurance
- Workers’ compensation insurance
Are you struggling to pay the bills because the insurance company denied your claim? Give us a call today to get the legal advice you deserve.
First-Party vs. Third-Party Insurance Claims
Bad faith insurance practices can occur whether you’re dealing with your own insurance company or someone else’s carrier.
A first-party claim is a claim that the insurance policyholder files with their own insurance company. For example, if you were injured in a car accident, you’ll first file a claim under your own policy. If your damages exceed your policy limits, however, you may be entitled to file a third-party claim with the at-fault party’s insurance carrier.
Regardless of the type of claim involved, it won’t be easy to get the insurance company to hand over fair compensation. Our lawyers have decades of experience dealing with insurance companies and handling cases like yours. To learn more about how we can help you fight for fair compensation, call our law firm for a free case review.
How Long Do I Have To File a Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuit in Florida?
In most cases, accident victims have only two years to file a lawsuit (as of March 24, 2023). However, Florida’s bad faith insurance claims are handled differently. Thus, the Florida courts have recently clarified that the statute of limitations in these cases is five years.
The statute of limitations is a technical rule. If you bring a bad faith insurance lawsuit after five years have passed, your case will be dismissed.
On the other hand, it’s important not to wait too long to take legal action. Your insurance policy is a contract. It may have terms that dictate how long you have to file a lawsuit for damages. The insurance policy’s terms may give you less time than Florida law provides.
If you suspect you were a victim of bad faith insurance practices, call our lawyers serving Clearwater today. We’ll review your case for free and help make sure you meet any relevant deadlines.
Contact a Clearwater Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Dealing with the insurance company is rarely easy. The situation only becomes worse when they refuse to play fair. Call Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers today to learn more about how an experienced Clearwater bad faith insurance lawyer can help with your case.
Our personal injury law firm in Clearwater also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Aviation/Airplane Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Birth Injury Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Catastrophic Injuries Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Drowning Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Hurricane Insurance Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Maritime Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Mesothelioma & Asbestos Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Sexual Assault Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Slip And Fall Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Clearwater, FL