If you were recently injured in a boating accident, a Clearwater boating accident lawyer from Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can help you understand your right to financial compensation. Our law firm has been helping boating accident victims for more than 65 years, collectively.
Why You Should Hire an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer If You’ve Been Hurt in a Boating Accident
Boating accidents are especially dangerous. That’s primarily due to the water element. Just like any car accident victim, boating accident victims can suffer serious injuries. However, the risks of death and serious injury in a boating accident become even more likely when you factor in the possibility of drowning.
The injury claims process itself can also be more complex than your average motor vehicle accident. You shouldn’t trust just any personal injury attorney with your case. You need a lawyer with experience working with accidents that happen on the water. You deserve to have a lawyer in your corner who understands the complex federal, state, and maritime laws that might apply in your case.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our Clearwater personal injury lawyers have more than 75 years of experience handling these types of cases. We focus exclusively on personal injury law. When you call us for legal advice, we’ll put the full weight of our financial resources and legal experience to work for you.
Our Board Certified attorneys will fight for your rights by:
- Investigating the accident to determine the cause and locate all responsible parties
- Defending you when the insurance company tries to minimize your injuries or blame you for getting hurt
- Consulting with experts who can give us a better sense of the cost of your injuries over time
- Handling the complicated paperwork and negotiations with insurance adjusters who might try to convince you to accept less than you deserve
An unexpected injury will always make your life more difficult than it should be. When someone else’s carelessness results in injury, they should be held accountable. If you’re interested in exploring your legal options, all you have to do is call and set up your free initial consultation with our lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers.
Quick Facts on Boating Accidents
It’s not surprising that boating and water recreation are so popular in Florida. After all, the state has over 8,400 miles of shoreline. Unfortunately, Florida also leads the nation in the number of annual boating accident fatalities reported. The Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) ranks Pinellas County at number five in terms of the frequency of boating accidents.
Accidents occurring on the water can happen anywhere. Every year, the U.S. Coast Guard releases data on recreational boating accidents. According to the 2019 report, 613 people were killed in boating accidents in 2019 alone. That’s 5.2 deaths per 100,000 registered recreational vessels. Thousands more are seriously hurt in boating accidents every year.
In 23% of fatal boat accidents, alcohol was a contributing factor in the crash. 79% of fatal boating accident victims drowned–and 86% of those accident victims weren’t wearing a life jacket.
What Should I Do After a Boating Accident?
Federal law requires you to report the boating accident if:
- Someone dies
- Someone requires medical treatment beyond simple first aid
- A person disappears, and death or injury are suspected
- The accident causes more than $2,000 in damage to a vessel
- The boat is destroyed
Of course, your first step should be to seek medical attention. If you can take photos or videos of the vessel and any injuries, that can help prove your case later. When you’re hurt, speak with a personal injury lawyer before making any statements to insurance adjusters.
Remember: the insurance company isn’t on your side. Our Clearwater boating accident attorneys at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will look out for your best interests.
Who is Responsible For My Injuries After a Boating Accident in Clearwater?
Anyone who contributes to the accident can be held responsible. Under Florida law, that’s true even if the careless person’s actions were only partly to blame.
Depending on the circumstances of your accident, responsible parties might include:
- An operator of another vessel involved in the accident
- Rental boat companies
- Employers of negligent boat captains
- The manufacturer of a defective or dangerous boat part
- A company in charge of inspecting or maintaining a commercial vessel
- Disruptive passengers
You deserve compensation from all parties who put you in this difficult position. Our personal injury attorneys at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will work to hold each party fully accountable for their share of the damage.
Common Causes of Clearwater Boating Accidents
Before we can hold anyone liable for your injuries, we have to determine what caused the accident in the first place. Some of the most common causes of boating accidents include:
- Operator inattention (distracted driving)
- Drunk driving
- Operator inexperience
- Mechanical failures
- Weather conditions
- Failure to obey local safety regulations and navigational rules
- Failure to keep a proper lookout
- Unsafe boat operation
You’re entitled to recover money from anyone who was careless and caused your accident. Our legal team at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will explore every available option to get what you deserve.
We Handle All Types of Boating Accident Cases
Our attorneys handle all types of boating accident claims, including those involving:
- Falling overboard
- Slip and fall accidents
- Collisions with other vessels
- Collisions with docks, jetties, or other fixed objects
- Running aground
- And more
We’ve been serving Clearwater accident victims for decades. If you were injured in a boating accident in Clearwater, St. Petersburg, or Tampa Bay, call today to see how we can put that experience to work for you.
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers Will Fight to Recover Compensation For All Boating Accident Injuries
Any type of injury has the potential to disrupt your life. Medical care is also expensive–and health insurance doesn’t always cover everything.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ll fight to recover compensation for both your physical and emotional trauma. We often help accident victims who have suffered:
- Brain injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Chest injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Severe burns
- Broken bones
- Traumatic amputations and loss of limbs
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Dealing with a severe injury is enough to handle. Our lawyers are here to help with the practical task of getting the compensation you deserve.
Time is Limited: Call Our Attorneys For Help Today
You don’t have an unlimited time to file a personal injury lawsuit. The Florida statute of limitations gives victims two years to file an injury claim. This deadline was revised by law on March 24, 2023. Prior to that date, victims were given four years to take legal action. Accordingly, boating accidents occurring after 3/24/23 are subject to the two-year time limit.
An action for wrongful death must be filed within two years of your loved one’s death.
What if the Responsible Party Tries to Blame Me For Getting Hurt?
Under the modified comparative fault rule that applies in the state of Florida, accident victims have the right to compensation if they aren’t more at fault than the other party.
The law does limit the amount of compensation you can recover in these types of cases. Your final compensation package can be reduced by your percentage of fault – or eliminated altogether if your share of responsibility exceeds 50%.
Allocating fault can be a complex matter. Our personal injury lawyers will put in the work needed to minimize your share of the blame. That way, you can walk away with the most possible compensation for your injuries.
Damages Available for Boating Accident Victims in Clearwater, Florida
Even if you’re focused on your physical recovery, money quickly becomes important for most accident victims. You might not be able to pay your daily expenses–let alone cover the cost of medical care and rehab. Our lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers are focused on getting the full amount you deserve.
That means compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- The cost of future medical care
- Transportation to a medical facility
- Lost future earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and trauma
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Property damage
If you lost a family member in a fatal boat crash, we can also fight to recover damages for wrongful death. That might include compensation for:
- Loss of parental guidance
- Loss of your loved one’s company
- Loss of financial support
- Funeral and burial costs
- All medical bills associated with the accident
- And more
It can be hard to know what your case is really worth–and tempting to take any insurance offer on the table. Our lawyers will review your case and work with experts to make sure you aren’t accepting a lowball settlement.
Unfortunately, the clock is already ticking. Call our law offices today so that we can preserve your right to financial compensation after a Clearwater boating accident.
Call a Respected Clearwater Boating Accident Lawyer For Help Winning Fair Compensation Today
Were you or a loved one hurt in a boating accident? A Clearwater boating accident lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can help you establish liability and fight for the full compensation you deserve. Give us a call today to schedule your free consultation.
Our personal injury law firm in Clearwater also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Aviation/Airplane Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Birth Injury Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Catastrophic Injuries Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Drowning Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Hurricane Insurance Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Maritime Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Mesothelioma & Asbestos Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Sexual Assault Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Slip And Fall Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Clearwater, FL