NOTE: Our law firm does not handle assault injury cases. This article is for informational purposes only. Information found in the article does not constitute as formal legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.
Were you or a loved one attacked in Clearwater, Florida? You may be entitled to recover damages in civil court. An experienced Clearwater assault injury lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Our founding attorneys have been fighting to protect injured clients across the Tampa Bay area since 1996. Our proven record of success now includes more than $100 million recovered on behalf of our clients in all types of cases, including Clearwater aviation accidents, bicycle accidents, Clearwater boating accidents, bus accidents, child injuries, and more.
How Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With an Assault Injury Claim in Clearwater
An assault can be an extremely traumatic experience. It can be tempting to simply try to put that experience in the past. Unfortunately, many victims of assault quickly find that’s not possible. If you were injured, you’ll need money to cover your medical expenses and bills while you recover.
You shouldn’t be responsible for those costs on top of everything else. You deserve the help of one of our experienced Clearwater injury lawyers.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we have over 75 years of combined experience handling personal injury cases. Not only have our lawyers earned Martindale-Hubbell’s highest AV-rating, but our team includes two board-certified civil trial attorneys. That’s a distinction earned by only 2% of Florida attorneys.
You can trust our team to:
- Launch a full investigation into the attack
- Pursue fair compensation from anyone whose negligence allowed the assault to happen
- Bring in experts and specialists to strengthen your case
- Handle all insurance negotiations
If the defense team won’t play fair, we aren’t afraid to fight for your rights in court. Call for a free consultation today to learn more about how our Clearwater personal injury attorneys can make a difference in your case.
How Common Are Assault Injuries in Clearwater, FL?
At least 1.3 million violent crimes were reported nationwide in 2020. Unfortunately, many of those crimes happened in Florida.
Each year about 470 violent crimes are reported in Clearwater alone–meaning that Clearwater is only safer than about 17% of U.S. cities.
In 2020, Clearwater residents reported:
- 290 cases of assault
- 98 robberies
- 80 cases of sexual assault
- Two murders
Unfortunately, it’s likely that many more Clearwater residents fall victim to violent crimes. That’s because many victims don’t report violent crimes.
Overview of Florida Laws on Assault and Battery
Assault and battery are both crimes in the state of Florida. Hopefully, your attacker was arrested and facing criminal charges. Still, that doesn’t give you the money you need to pay for medical expenses or cover your lost wages.
Assault and battery are also intentional torts. Under Florida personal injury laws, you have the right to file a civil lawsuit against the offender regardless of what happens in criminal court. In civil court, you can recover monetary damages for your losses–just like any car accident or truck accident victim.
You may be entitled to financial compensation even if your attacker is eventually acquitted in criminal court. The “preponderance of the evidence” standard that applies in civil court is much lower than the “beyond a reasonable doubt” standard in criminal cases.
In fact, you may be entitled to recover compensation from a negligent third party even if your attacker is never located.
What are the Different Types of Assault Injuries?
Physical assault can cause both physical and emotional damage. At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of assault injury claims in Clearwater.
Some common injuries sustained by victims of assault include:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Internal bleeding
- Facial injuries
- Dental injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Stab wounds
- Gunshot wounds
- Organ damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Soft tissue damage
Some of these injuries can cause permanent or even catastrophic damage. It’s also important to consider your emotional suffering. Many assault victims suffer from anxiety and PTSD long after physical injuries have healed. Others may sink into a deep depression.
Our lawyers in Clearwater will fight to recover compensation for all of your injuries–emotional and physical. Call our law firm for a free initial consultation today to learn more about how we can put our skills to work for you.
We Handle All Types of Assault Injury Claims in Clearwater, FL
Our Clearwater assault injury attorneys at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers are just a phone call away if you’ve been assaulted.
We handle assault cases involving:
- Robberies and muggings
- Bar fights
- Domestic violence
- Assaults involving weapons or firearms
- Police brutality
- Sexual assault and rape
It can be difficult to know where to turn for help if you were physically attacked. While we can’t turn back the clock, we can handle every aspect of your personal injury claim while you recover. Just call our team for a free case evaluation today.
Who Can Be Liable for Assault Injuries in Florida?
Of course, your attacker can be held liable for your injuries in civil and criminal court. It’s also possible that someone other than your attacker could be liable. If the assault occurred on someone else’s property, the owner could be liable.
Responsible parties may include:
- Landlords and apartment complex managers
- Colleges and universities
- School administrators
- Bars and nightclubs
- Grocery stores
- Shopping malls
- Cruise ships
- Your attacker’s employer
In Florida, property owners have to take reasonable precautions to keep visitors and guests safe. That includes installing adequate security to prevent reasonably foreseeable criminal activity.
Under Florida premises liability laws, “adequate security” may include:
- Installing video surveillance cameras
- Ensuring that employees are properly trained to handle violent situations
- Hiring security guards
- Making sure doors and gates are locked
- Installing adequate lighting
If you were attacked on someone else’s property, you could have a valid negligent security claim. That’s true even though the property owner didn’t intend for you to get hurt–because these cases are based on negligence theories.
You may be entitled to damages if you can prove that:
- The property owner owed you a legal duty of care
- The owner breached that duty by failing to take adequate security precautions
- The criminal activity was reasonably foreseeable
- You were harmed because of the property owner’s breach of duty
- You suffered damages
Property owners in Florida aren’t strictly liable for assault injuries. These cases often turn on whether the attack was foreseeable.
What is My Clearwater Assault Injury Case Worth?
Our attorneys in Clearwater will evaluate your claim based on all of the evidence, considering factors such as:
- The circumstances of your attack
- The responsible party’s actions or inactions
- The severity of your injuries
- The cost of your medical treatment and other expenses
- How the injury and attack impacted your life and career
Before taking any legal action, it’s important to know how much your personal injury case is worth. Insurance companies will try to tell you what you deserve.
You don’t have to take their word for it. In fact, you should expect that they’ll offer less than a fair amount. We can provide more specific legal advice in a free initial consultation. Call to schedule yours today.
What Compensation Can I Recover for My Assault Injuries in Clearwater, Florida?
Compensatory damages are available in nearly every personal injury case. There are two categories of compensatory damages: economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are awarded to reimburse you for out-of-pocket costs. For example, you may be entitled to compensation for
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Future medical expenses
- Lost future earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- Property damage
You also deserve to be compensated for your non-economic damages. In many assault injury cases, victims are entitled to money for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress, anxiety, and depression
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Damage to relationships
- Any physical scarring or disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
Your attacker may also be on the hook for punitive damages. Punitive damages, while rare, punish the victim for intentional or malicious acts.
How Long Do I Have to File an Assault Injury Lawsuit in Florida?
Every state imposes time limits on a victim’s right to take legal action. In Florida, the statute of limitations for assault cases and other claims based on intentional torts is four years. If you don’t file a lawsuit within four years of the attack, you could lose your right to seek compensation.
You could have more time to sue your attacker for damages. For example, if your attacker is facing criminal charges, the four-year “clock” may be paused or tolled until the criminal case is resolved.
Don’t risk missing out on the money you deserve. To learn more about establishing an attorney client relationship, call for a free case review today.
Contact a Clearwater Assault Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
If you’ve been the victim of assault, you deserve justice. Our lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover fair compensation from everyone who played a role in your attack. Just call to schedule a free consultation with a Clearwater assault injury lawyer today.
Our Clearwater injury lawyers also provides:
- Aviation/Airplane Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Birth Injury Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Catastrophic Injuries Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Drowning Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Hurricane Insurance Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Maritime Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Mesothelioma & Asbestos Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Sexual Assault Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Slip And Fall Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Clearwater, FL