Mark Roman | April 6, 2017 | Car Accidents
Car accidents are always unique. Depending on the circumstances involved, car wrecks can result in all types of outcomes, from occupants walking away unscathed to victims paying the ultimate and most tragic price. When injuries occur, personal injury law provides victims and families will the opportunity to hold an at-fault party accountable for causing a preventable crash, as well as financially liable for the injuries and damages victims suffer.
When it comes to car accident cases, victims have a right to pursue a personal injury claim if they suffered damages. While it is clear to many that a personal injury claim is warranted in cases involving serious harm such as broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, or spinal cord damage, others may not be sure of their rights when they suffer soft tissue injuries. Although soft tissue injuries may not be as visible nor as severe as some other types of injuries, they certainly have the potential to result in significant pain, impairment, and conditions that make daily life a challenge. Because of this, victims should always take soft tissue injuries seriously, seek medical attention after a wreck, and work with experienced lawyers who can help them protect their right to compensation.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we have helped many victims who suffered all types of injuries in preventable car accidents, including a number of various soft tissue injuries. Having worked with these victims and their families as they navigated their recoveries, we know full well that soft tissue injuries have the potential to greatly impact the lives and wellbeing of victims. This is why we always stress the importance of taking them seriously.
If you or someone you love has suffered soft tissue injuries in a traffic collision, here are a few important things to know.
- Soft tissue injuries can range widely – Soft tissue injuries refer to a range of injuries that are more than superficial cuts alone, and can affect muscles, tendons, nerves, and ligaments. These types of injuries typically result from sudden impact forces, such as those that occur during car wrecks, that cause uncontrolled movement, often unnaturally or with excessive force. Even if no broken bones or other serious injuries occur, soft tissue injuries can in and of themselves be very severe, such as in the case of torn muscles, tendons, or ligaments.
- Symptoms don’t tell the whole story – Soft tissue injuries are generally not visible, but may result in initial swelling. Additional symptoms include pain, impaired mobility, and instability that prevents a victim from leading a normal life. It is important to remember that symptoms do not always indicate the severity of an injury, which is why medical attention is critical. A doctor may be able to determine a serious condition that requires treatment as the underlying cause of your pain, even if you felt it was not serious.
- Seek medical attention – Soft tissue injuries may not present themselves until sometime passes after an accident. When symptoms do arise, they may also not speak to how severe a condition may be, may not indicate all types of injuries a victim has suffered, or may become progressively worse and aggravated over time when left untreated. Because of this, victims should always seek medical evaluations for their injuries, as doctors can discuss treatment options, including serious medical intervention when necessary. Seeing a doctor as soon as possible after a wreck not only ensures that you obtain treatment for an injury, but also provides documentation of your injuries that can be used during a personal injury claim. Commonly, insurance providers will capitalize on victims who wait to seek medical attention, as they will state that it shows a victim was not really injured, even if they were in pain the whole time.
- Recoveries – Recovering from soft tissue injuries will depend on the type of injury suffered and its severity. Often, injuries to muscles, tendons, and ligaments take time to heal, especially if surgery is required or if an injury occurs to a certain part of the body, such as the knee. Soft tissue injuries are known for causing chronic and persistent pain, which can also lengthen recoveries. Some recoveries can take months, and can seriously limit the ability to victims to engage in gainful employment or even meet the demands of daily life.
- Your Rights – After suffering a soft tissue injury in an auto accident, you should understand that you have the right to pursue compensation for your injury and related damages from the at fault party. These damages include the cost of your medical care, any lost wages caused by missing work, and your pain and suffering, among other damages. While you have this right, it can be difficult to recover compensation on your own, especially as insurance companies are quick to deny claims and will do whatever they can to minimize payouts. You can protect yourself and your right to compensation by working with a proven lawyer.
Due to the nature of soft tissue injuries and their potential for having a significant short- and long-term impact on the lives of victims, you should always be intent on seeking medical attention following an accident and injury – even if you feel you are fine, are leery of going to the doctor, or think you can tough it out. Medical evaluations should also be sought as soon as possible after a wreck. When you wait or don’t seek treatment, you put your health at risk, and can make it challenging for you to recover compensation should you choose to pursue a personal injury case.
Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers has recovered millions of dollars in compensation for injured victims throughout Clearwater and the surrounding areas of Florida. If you or someone you love has suffered soft tissue injuries or any other type of injury in a motor vehicle accident, do not wait to get in touch with our award-winning legal team. Our attorneys can review your case personally, discuss whether you may have a valid case for financial compensation, and explain what we can do to help ensure you receive the medical treatment and positive outcome you deserve. We are committed to maximizing compensation in every case we handle.
Contact the Car Accident Law Firm Of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers To Get The Help You Deserve
If you need help with your injury case or you want to learn more information, please call the Car Accident law firm of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers at (727) 787-2500 or visit the nearest location to schedule a free case evaluation today.
We serve Pinellas County, Pasco County, Hillsborough County, and its surrounding areas:
If you would prefer to email us, please visit our contact page.