If your child was injured at birth because of negligent medical care, you may be entitled to significant compensation. An experienced Clearwater birth injury lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can help your family recover compensation for medical bills, lost earning potential, pain and suffering, and more.
A child should never have to suffer for someone else’s mistake. Our legal team has recovered tens of millions of dollars for victims of Clearwater child injuries, motorcycle accidents, sexual assault, Clearwater slip and fall accidents, drowning accidents, and more.
Call us today for a free consultation in Clearwater so that we can discuss your legal options at (727) 787-2500.
Why Should I Hire an Experienced Clearwater Personal Injury Lawyer if My Child Was Injured at Birth?
The birth of a child should be a joyous time for parents. Birth injuries can be devastating for new parents–and can leave your child to face lifelong challenges. When a doctor or nurse’s carelessness caused the injury, you have the right to hold them accountable.
You have enough on your hands if you’re grappling with the consequences of a birth injury. The last thing you should have to worry about is a legal battle. That’s where the experienced Clearwater personal injury lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can help.
Collectively, we have over 75 years of experience serving Clearwater victims of medical negligence recover fair compensation for their losses. You can depend on our team to help you navigate the medical complexities involved in proving liability in personal injury cases.
Here are just a few ways Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will help your family get through this challenging time:
- We’ll locate all relevant evidence needed to prove your case, including witness statements, medical records, and more
- Our injury attorneys will hire respected medical experts to testify about the level of care you should have received–and provide proof that your medical team was negligent
- We’ll use decades of legal experience to negotiate the maximum settlement award possible in your case
- We have the financial resources to hire experts who can testify about the fair value of your claim
Recovering compensation in a birth injury case usually isn’t as simple as filing a claim. The insurance companies are trained to protect medical professionals. They’ll use the laws to minimize the fallout on their end.
Our Board Certified personal injury lawyers are focused on getting justice for your family. We’ll do everything we can to hold those responsible for your child’s injury liable to the fullest extent of the law. If you’re ready to learn more about how we can make this difficult time easier for your family, call our law offices today. Your first consultation is always 100% free–and we work on a contingency basis, so you only pay legal fees if we win.
What is a Birth Injury?
A birth injury happens because something goes wrong during labor and delivery. Usually, birth injuries can be prevented by properly monitoring mother and baby during pregnancy, as well as during labor and delivery.
Many birth injuries are caused by medical negligence. Doctors and hospitals have the resources to keep your baby safe, both during pregnancy and during the delivery process. When they provide medical care that falls short of the medical standard of care, they can be held accountable for medical malpractice.
It isn’t always easy to prove a doctor’s carelessness caused your child’s injury. Sometimes, even the most competent care can’t prevent a birth injury. That’s why our lawyers work with leading medical experts to provide the evidence Florida law requires to support your claim.
Common Causes of Birth Injury
Doctors and nurses are charged with providing care during pregnancy. They also have a duty to provide competent care during labor and delivery. Unfortunately, out of every 1,000 babies who are born, six to eight will suffer from a birth injury.
That works out to about 28,000 birth injuries every year–many of which are entirely preventable. Birth injuries often happen because doctors, obstetricians, and medical professionals are careless.
Some of the most common causes of birth injuries in Clearwater include:
- Failure to monitor the fetus during labor and delivery
- Negligent prenatal care
- Failure to order a C-Section when called for
- Improper use of forceps or vacuum devices during delivery
- Failure to diagnose potential problems prior to delivery
- Medication errors during labor and delivery
- Waiting too long to deliver
- Miscommunication between medical professionals
- Improperly trained hospital staff
If you think your baby’s injury was caused by negligence before, during, or immediately after birth, it’s important to get legal help quickly. Your baby probably requires expensive care immediately–meaning you’ll need to recover the compensation you deserve as soon as possible.
Our lawyers can get to work quickly to increase your odds of getting the money you need sooner rather than later.
We Handle All Types of Birth Injury Cases in Clearwater, FL
Any type of birth injury can have a lasting impact on your baby’s life. Some injuries require ongoing rehabilitation. Others may result in permanent challenges.
Our medical malpractice lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will fight to get everything your family deserves. That way, you can rest assured that your child will have access to the highest quality care.
Some examples of the types of birth injury cases we handle include:
- Cerebral palsy
- Brain injuries
- Brachial plexus injury
- Bacterial infections
- Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE)
- Shoulder dystocia
- Forceps delivery injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Injuries from the use of vacuum extraction
- Skull fractures
- Wrongful death
You’ve already lost too much if your child has suffered a brain injury. You don’t have to suffer the financial losses associated with treating these injuries. Call an experienced personal injury attorney in Clearwater for legal advice today.
Statute of Limitations in Birth Injury Cases in Clearwater, Florida
If your child is hurt, winning a lawsuit is probably the last thing on your mind. Much like a car accident case, Florida personal injury law limits the amount of time you have to file a personal injury claim. This is called the statute of limitations.
To recover compensation for your child’s birth injury, you have to file a medical malpractice lawsuit within two years of the day you discovered the incident. There’s also a firm four-year cap that applies even if you don’t discover that a mistake harmed your newborn right away.
Thanks to Tony’s Law, your child may have the right to sue for damages later in life. Florida law provides an exception for minors that lets them pursue compensation even once the four-year period is up. You have until your child’s eighth birthday to take action.
You want to get money in your hands as quickly as possible. That’s understandable. It’s important to realize, however, that these types of cases do take time to build. A thorough investigation is critical to presenting a strong injury claim. It’s also important to make sure we understand the extent of the injuries and carefully evaluate the cost of future medical needs.
If your child was hurt, you only get one shot at recovering full compensation. You can trust the medical malpractice attorneys at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers to do everything possible to maximize your settlement.
What Types of Compensation Should I Expect to Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit?
The costs associated with a birth injury can begin to add up quickly. You’ll likely require immediate medical care–and more serious injuries can result in lifelong disability. We all know how expensive the cost of medical care can be. That doesn’t even begin to factor in the emotional trauma you’ve suffered.
Money can’t turn back the clock and prevent the injury. It can help you take care of your child’s needs both now and in the future. Our lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers will work tirelessly to help your family get compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- Rehabilitative care
- Home modifications
- Childcare costs
- Long-term care
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Damages for wrongful death
Assessing damages for a birth injury can be extremely complex. We’re not only interested in making sure your current bills are paid. We want to make sure your family is financially protected against future expenses.
Our lawyers at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers are up to the challenge. We have a track record of winning cases. We have relationships with some of the leading medical experts in Central Florida. We’ll use our significant financial resources to your advantage–and stand by your side every step of the way.
The medical professionals who were responsible for your child’s care are the ones who should pay for their mistakes. Your family has already suffered enough because of medical carelessness. Give us a call today to learn more about how we can fight for your family.
Contact an Experienced Clearwater Birth Injury Lawyer You Can Count On
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers won’t stop fighting until we’ve recovered every dollar that you deserve. You shouldn’t have to suffer because a doctor couldn’t bother to be careful. We’ll identify every responsible party and pursue your right to compensation against them all.
Are you ready to learn more? Call our law firm to speak with an experienced Clearwater birth injury lawyer today. Your consultation is always free, so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Our personal injury law firm in Clearwater also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Aviation/Airplane Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Catastrophic Injuries Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Drowning Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- E-Scooter Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Hurricane Insurance Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Maritime Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Mesothelioma & Asbestos Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Sexual Assault Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Slip And Fall Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Clearwater, FL