Have you ever borrowed a vehicle belonging to a friend, parent, other relative, or co-worker? Maybe your vehicle was in the shop, or you just had to run a quick errand.

Have you ever thought about what would happen if you were hit while driving someone else’s car in Clearwater, FL? This situation can be confusing, but a car accident lawyer from Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can provide you with legal advice and guidance.

Insurance Usually Follows the Vehicle

In most situations, the insurance follows the vehicle in case of an accident. The minimum insurance requirements in Florida are $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 in Property Damage Liability coverage (PDL). PIP insurance covers medical expenses that are reasonable and incurred soon after a car accident. PIP insurance can also cover up to 60% of accident-related lost wages, up to $10,000. These benefits cover you regardless of who was at fault for the accident, Florida does not require drivers to purchase bodily injury liability (BIL) coverage. However, many drivers still purchase insurance.

BIL insurance covers the medical expenses and lost wages others suffered if you are at fault for the accident. PIP and BIL generally follow the vehicle, so if you are driving someone else’s vehicle, this insurance would probably cover the accident. You could make a claim with the vehicle owner’s insurance provider to cover your losses. 

Options Following A Car Accident

You may have several options for recovering compensation following a car accident, including:

Filing A Claim With The Owner’s Insurance 

As stated above, you may be able to pursue compensation by filing a claim with the owner’s PIP insurance policy. If the at-fault driver was uninsured or underinsured, you can check with the vehicle owner if they have uninsured (UI) and/or underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. Both of these types of insurance are optional in Florida. However, many people purchase additional insurance to protect themselves and others in case of an accident.  

Filing A Claim WIth Your Own Insurance 

If you own a vehicle, you may be able to file a claim with your own insurer to pay the difference between the damages you suffered and what the vehicle owner’s coverage paid for, subject to the limits of your policy. In this type of situation, your policy functions as secondary coverage. 

Filing a Claim With The At-Fault Driver’s Insurance 

You may be able to file a claim with the at-fault driver’s liability insurance. However, this assumes they have bodily injury liability insurance. 

Suing The At-Fault Driver 

If the other driver did not have insurance or their insurance provider refused to offer a reasonable settlement, you may consider filing a lawsuit against the at-fault driver. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help guide you through this process. 

Steps to Take After A Car Accident

Because it can be confusing to be involved in a car accident while driving someone else’s vehicle, keep this list handy to know what to do after an accident:

  • Call 911 and request an ambulance if anyone is injured.
  • Report the accident to police so an accident report can be prepared.
  • Exchange information with the other driver. Ask for their driver’s license number, vehicle information, contact information, and insurance information. Let them know the owner’s information. 
  • Seek medical attention promptly so your injuries can be diagnosed.
  • Take pictures of the damage to the vehicles and the accident scene. 
  • Check if there are any nearby traffic or red light cameras that may have recorded the accident. 
  • Obtain the accident report once it is ready.

Finally, reach out to an experienced car accident lawyer to protect your legal rights. Contact Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for help.

Contact the Clearwater Car Accident Law Firm of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for Help Today

For more information, please contact the legal team of Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for a free initial consultation with a car accident lawyer in Clearwater. We have four convenient locations in Florida: Clearwater, New Port Richey, and Tampa.

We serve throughout Pinellas County, Hillsborough County, Pasco County, and its surrounding areas:

Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – Clearwater Office
1811 N. Belcher Road, Suite I-1
Clearwater, FL 33765
(727) 787-2500

Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – Congress Ave Office
2360 Congress Avenue
Clearwater, FL 33763
(727) 591-5610

Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – Tampa Office
6601 Memorial Hwy Suite 202
Tampa, FL 33615
(813) 686-7588

Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers – New Port Richey Office
2515 Seven Springs Blvd.
New Port Richey, FL, 34655
(727) 815-8442