Having fought for injured victims and families across the state of Florida, our legal team knows how to level the playing field for our clients when facing off against insurers that try to limit the amount they pay on claims. We also know the steps and procedures victims should take following an auto accident, and how they can put themselves in the best possible position to recover the financial compensation they deserve.
If you were involved in a car accident, it is important that you take the right steps. If you were not the one responsible for the accident, it is especially imperative that you document the accident and secure legal representation so that you get the damages owed to you. What you say and do in the days, weeks, and months following an auto accident can impact your case and, potentially, your right to compensation.
Helpful Tips from a Clearwater Car Accident Lawyer
After a car accident, you should take the following steps:
- Call 911: People involved in car accidents should call 911 to report the accident and notify emergency medical services, especially in accidents that cause injuries.
- Seek medical attention: If you have not yet done so, seek medical attention – even if you do not think you were hurt.
- Get a copy of the accident report: Take note of the accident report number and where/how you can obtain a copy of the report
- Take pictures: Take pictures of the accident scene (before the cars are moved). You will want to include shots of road damage and damage done to the cars involved.
- Get contact information: Write down all contact information of drivers involved (for insurance purposes)
- Take note of other information: Write down license plate numbers, driver’s license numbers, makes and models of cars as well as insurance company/policy information
- Remember your surroundings: Note weather conditions, road conditions and any negligent behavior you noticed prior to the accident as well as any statements made by witnesses involved
- Don’t admit fault: Do not apologize for the accident. Even a simple “I’m sorry” could be seen as an admission of guilt
- Watch what you say to police: State only the facts and limit your discussion of the accident to the police
- Stay until you’re released: Do not leave until the police have finished the investigation and questioning
- Do not discuss your case with the other driver: Anything you say to the other driver could potentially be used against you.
- Get an attorney: Do not speak with the insurance company unless your attorney is present
- Don’t sign anything: Do not sign anything from the insurance company without your attorney’s consent
- Know your policy: Know what your auto insurance policy covers so you are not taken off guard
- Start your claim: Notify your insurance agent as soon as possible after your car accident
Getting the Proper Evidence
This means asking for contact information and driver’s license information from the negligent party, as well as their insurance information. You also want to take pictures of the scene of the accident, the damage to all vehicles involved, and any visible injuries you may have sustained as a result.
Speaking with Witnesses
If there are individuals around who may have witnessed the crash, speak with them to get their side of the story. You can also get their contact information to send to your insurance company or legal team to help follow up and build evidence on your behalf.
Calling the Right Parties
Call the local authorities to report the accident, especially if the individual is trying to leave the scene. You also want to call for medical attention if necessary—or go to the hospital to get checked on. This can help you start the recovery process, as well as get you medical records that can be used to help your case.
Speaking with a Car Lawyer
Speaking with a Clearwater car accident lawyer is an important step as this can protect your rights. The negligent party’s insurance company may try to get a recorded statement from you. Your lawyer can speak on your behalf and prevent the insurance company from taking advantage of you.
Call Today For a Free Consultation With A Clearwater Car Accident Law Firm
One of the best things you can do after an accident is to secure legal representation. If another person was at fault and you sustained serious harm, you have every right to fight for the compensation due to you.
That is why we encourage you to call and speak with one of our Clearwater injury attorneys at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers as soon as possible. Car accident victims throughout Clearwater, Pinellas County, and Florida can find the support and aggressive representation they need with our attorneys.
We have recovered over $100 million in compensation for our clients and with 60+ years of combined experience, you can trust us to represent you effectively! For the aggressive legal representation you can count on, do not hesitate to contact a Clearwater accident attorney at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for a free case evaluation at (727) 787-2500! We are prepared around the clock to represent you!