New Port Richey, FL Workplace Accident Lawyer
If you were injured at work in New Port Richey, FL, you may be entitled to compensation from your employer’s workers’ compensation insurer or a negligent third party. An experienced New Port Richey workplace accident lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers can help you seek damages for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Our lawyers have been serving New Port Richey accident victims since 1996. To date, we’ve recovered more than $100 million–and counting.
Table of Contents
How Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Workplace Accident in New Port Richey
Nothing about a workplace injury is easy. You’re suffering through painful medical treatments, but you might also be forced to fight with insurance companies and defense lawyers. Sometimes, it may even seem that your doctor and employer are working against you.
Although you’re entitled to compensation, getting money in your pocket can be an uphill battle. Hiring an experienced New Port Richey personal injury lawyer can make a huge difference.
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we have over 75 years of experience between us. Our AV-rated lawyers have been recognized by the prestigious Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and among Tampa Bay’s Top Trial Lawyers.
When you hire us. you can count on us to:
- Conduct a comprehensive investigation into your accident
- Locate all responsible parties
- Evaluate whether you’re eligible to sue a third party for damages
- Assess the value of your personal injury claim
- Hire top-rated experts and specialists
- Negotiate with the insurance companies to maximize your settlement or verdict
Our board-certified trial lawyers are here to help you secure the maximum compensation possible. If you or a loved one sustained a job-related injury, we’re here to help. Reach out to our trusted New Port Richey personal injury attorneys to schedule your free consultation today.
How Common Are Workplace Accidents in New Port Richey?
Across the U.S., employers reported 2.7 million non-fatal workplace injuries and illnesses in 2020. On average, each injured worker missed about 12 days of work–although some were kept off the job for much longer.
Florida is no stranger to serious work injuries. In 2019, 306 Florida workers died in fatal workplace accidents. That’s almost one workplace death every single day.
What is My New Port Richey Workplace Accident Case Worth?
A number of factors can play a role in calculating how much your personal injury case is worth.
Some examples include:
- The severity of your injury
- Your average income prior to the accident
- The identity of the responsible party
- The cost of your medical treatment
- How the injury impacted your ability to work
- Whether you’ll ever return to your prior earnings level
In personal injury cases, Florida comparative fault laws can also impact the overall value of your case.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Workplace Accident Victims in New Port Richey, FL?
There are two possible ways to seek compensation if you were injured on the job in Florida. Most injured workers will file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits. You could also be eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit against a negligent third party.
Damages Available Under Florida Workers’ Compensation Laws
Nearly all Florida employers must carry workers’ compensation insurance. Workers’ compensation is a no-fault system that provides benefits to cover:
- Medical care
- Death benefits for surviving family members
You may be entitled to temporary or permanent disability benefits, depending on the severity of your injury. If you can work in some capacity, you could receive partial disability benefits.
Typically, you’re eligible to receive a weekly check after you’ve missed at least seven days of work. After you miss 21 days, you can also be reimbursed for your first seven days of disability.
Damages Available Under Florida Personal Injury Laws
Workers’ compensation laws protect most negligent employers from personal injury lawsuits. In other words, you can’t sue your employer for damages.
Third parties aren’t entitled to the same protection. You may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against:
- Property owners
- General contractors
- An at-fault driver if you were injured in a car accident
- Third-party vendors
- Manufacturers or suppliers of defective equipment or tools
- Government agencies
These lawsuits are called “third-party claims.” They’re valuable because they give injured workers the right to recover damages beyond workers’ comp.
For example, you can be reimbursed for your economic damages, such as:
- All past and future medical expenses
- 100% of your lost wages
- Diminished earning potential
- Property damage
Importantly, you can also seek non-economic damages that aren’t available in a workers’ compensation claim. Those damages may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
Sometimes workers’ compensation doesn’t provide enough money to get by. You can count on our New Port Richey workplace accident attorneys at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers to explore every option for recovering fair compensation in your case.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Workplace Accident Injuries
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of work injury claims in New Port Richey, including those involving:
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Eye injuries
- Hearing damage
- Broken bones
- Repetitive stress injuries
- Occupational illnesses and conditions
- Respiratory illnesses
- Musculoskeletal disorders
- FOOSH injuries (falling onto an outstretched hand)
Some workplace injuries can be catastrophic or lead to the wrongful death of a loved one. You can count on our attorneys to handle even the most complex injury claim. Call for a free case evaluation today to learn more about our practice areas.
What Causes Most Workplace Accidents in New Port Richey, Florida?
Research shows that the leading causes of work-related injuries include:
- Overexertion caused by excessive physical effort, such as lifting, pushing or carrying objects
- Slips, trips, and falls
- Contact with objects and equipment
However, many work accidents occur because of someone’s negligent or wrongful acts. For example, workplace accidents are often caused by:
- Failure to follow OSHA safety regulations
- Lack of protective safety equipment
- Lack of fall protection
- Unsafe or defective work equipment
- Failure to properly train, supervise, or screen employees
- Dangerous property conditions
- Communication failures
In the end, you may be entitled to compensation regardless of why you were hurt on the job. Call our law firm for a free case review to learn more about how our workers’ compensation lawyers in New Port Richey can help.
We Handle All Types of Workplace Accident Cases in New Port Richey
At Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers, our New Port Richey workplace accident attorneys handle all types of injury claims, including cases involving:
Slip and fall accidents
- Scaffolding accidents
- Accidents where a worker is caught in between two objects
- Injuries caused by heavy lifting
- Construction site accidents
- Manufacturing accidents
- Welding accidents
- Factory accidents
- Fires and explosions
- Electrocution accidents
- Exposure to live electricity or electrical wires
- Roof and ladder falls
- Heavy machinery accidents
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Injuries caused by falling objects
- Workplace violence
Once we determine the cause of your accident, we can identify everyone who was responsible and start fighting for the compensation you deserve.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Workplace Accident in Florida?
Injured workers don’t have to establish negligence to receive workers’ compensation benefits. As long as your accident was work-related, you should be covered.
You will have to prove negligence to recover damages from a negligent third party. Negligence is the failure to exercise the level of caution that an ordinary person would use under the circumstances.
Simply put, you’ll have to establish:
- A legal duty of care
- A breach of duty
- The breach caused your accident
- The specific damages you suffered
Our attorneys in New Port Richey are here to handle every aspect of your claim. All you have to do is reach out to get started.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Workplace Accident in Florida?
Whether you claim workers’ comp or file a personal injury lawsuit, you only have a limited amount of time to act. To protect your workers’ compensation benefits, you should notify your employer within 30 days of the accident. Then, you’ll have two years to file a formal claim.
The statute of limitations in personal injury cases is four years. You have four years from the date of the accident to sue for damages.
Many victims see “years” and think they have a lot of time. In reality, it’s important to call a lawyer soon after your accident. Evidence can become damaged or disappear. Unexpected complications could arise.
Contact a New Port Richey Workplace Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Were you or a loved one injured at work in Pasco County? Call a New Port Richey workplace accident lawyer at Roman Austin Personal Injury Lawyers for immediate assistance. As always, we offer a free initial consultation.
Other Practice Areas In New Port Richey, FL
Here are some of the additional case types that our personal injury law firm in New Port Richey, FL can help with:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in New Port Richey
- Boating Accident Lawyers in New Port Richey
- Construction Accident Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in New Port Richey, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- See all cases we handle in New Port Richey, FL